When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How resitent is the new 026K to scratches

klocklind1

Hi all DLC lovers!

The new pam026K looks VERY nice indeed but I have a question regaring how restitent the DLC-coating is to get scratches on it?

Has the replica as hard surface as the genuine?

And if You get a scratch it would be very visible because of the steal under the surface :whistling:

You can not really just polish/sand a DLC case can You?

Please let me know because I want to buy one :whistling:

It's the genuine DLC process, so it will be very tough... but any DLC coated watch can be scratched if scraped or smashed on a sharp, hard surface like metal, diamonds, rocks, etc...

It can also be dinged, as the metal is the same basic hardness, so if you bump it against a hard surface, or drop it, it will be dented.

If you scratch any DLC coated watch deeply enough, the steel will surely show through and can not be polished out, the same as with any genuine watch.

It's the genuine DLC process, so it will be very tough... but any DLC coated watch can be scratched if scraped or smashed on a sharp, hard surface like metal, diamonds, rocks, etc...

It can also be dinged, as the metal is the same basic hardness, so if you bump it against a hard surface, or drop it, it will be dented.

If you scratch any DLC coated watch deeply enough, the steel will surely show through and can not be polished out, the same as with any genuine watch.

Thanks for the info B)

When I accidentally hit a DLC watch against metal, it is always the *metal* that scratches, not the watch. It leaves a streak of shiny metal on the surface of the DLC which can be removed with a pencil eraser.

The DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) process creates a thin surface carbon layer made up of amorphous (non-crystalline) carbon atoms. If they were crystalline, the surface would be clear - like a diamond :)

In terms of mechanical toughness, the surface is very tough. If you took a metal key and scratched the surface, the scratches are the key being eroded by the DLC. Of course, if continued, the coating will eventually be rubbed off as well.

The coating is not very thick, so the steel underneath which is relatively soft, still deforms under impact. But light scratches should be easily polished out by licking your finger and running it over the offending area, no sweat.

I'm investigating TiAlN as a possible surface coating, combines the toughness of Titanium AND Ceramic, it's used for certain high strength coatings and has a deep lustre which looks IMHO better than DLC. We'll see where it goes...

The DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) process creates a thin surface carbon layer made up of amorphous (non-crystalline) carbon atoms. If they were crystalline, the surface would be clear - like a diamond :)

In terms of mechanical toughness, the surface is very tough. If you took a metal key and scratched the surface, the scratches are the key being eroded by the DLC. Of course, if continued, the coating will eventually be rubbed off as well.

The coating is not very thick, so the steel underneath which is relatively soft, still deforms under impact. But light scratches should be easily polished out by licking your finger and running it over the offending area, no sweat.

I'm investigating TiAlN as a possible surface coating, combines the toughness of Titanium AND Ceramic, it's used for certain high strength coatings and has a deep lustre which looks IMHO better than DLC. We'll see where it goes...

Thanks a lot for that VERY nice information :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now I maybe MUST buy the new :whistling: 026K

Thanks a lot for that VERY nice information :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Now I maybe MUST buy the new :whistling: 026K

Always happy to give back to the community wherever I can. As for the exotic coatings, I'm doing some research in my spare time, looking for a willing supplier.

Always happy to give back to the community wherever I can. As for the exotic coatings, I'm doing some research in my spare time, looking for a willing supplier.

Something like this...?

Something like this...?

Hahaha [censored] head :)

I'm on the fence about bling-PAMs, they're kind of hot, especially on the wrist of sone blonde hottie:

heidiklum-diamond-panerai.jpg

Is this why Angus is taking so long with the 329? Not enough diamonds to ice out the bracelet? :op

Or what about this base PAM, just for you Pete... (and Dave if he ever decides to trade-in that 3-carat SA)

29531_MAIN.jpg

Mmm mmm mmm, the lume goes through the diamonds which act like a prism, making it look multi-colored :)

P. S. The diamond prism effect may or may not depend on the person's viewing angle to the dial...as well as how drunk they are :)

Edited by subbiesrock

It's possible that the rep coating is even more scratch resistant than the gen:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/message/1301931385/panerai+pam26+k+scratched+need+re+pvd

Time will tell!

If I was a gen 26K owner and read started or read through that post, I would be pissssed! Just shows you don't get what you pay for in most cases with a gen watch. The 20-30x price increase over a rep 26K doesn't make it 30x less scratch resistant...

One guy even recommends not servicing it, another recommends not taking it back to Panerai for recoating as they usually quote for a full case changeover? Are you [censored] shitting me'?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think you might of created the new standard in rep DLC testing...... The Dani test...

"So how good is the DLC on your rep? " "Well it measures 6.5 on the Dani Scale of robustness"

"Was that measurement taken on the way to the pub or on the way back?"

:) :)