When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

old school MBW DRSD

tabularasa415

Ok guys, so you probably can guess as to where I sourced this watch... :whistling: I knew I was buying a beautiful piece, but I would like to ask the professionals what exactly I've got here, as I'm not as well versed as some. What mods do you suspect I have here, and what, if any do you recommend I do? All comments/compliments etc. are welcome. Now, on to the photos... enjoy!

face6y.jpg

By tabularasa415 at 2011-04-07

face5.jpg

face3k.jpg

face2q.jpg

face1d.jpg

face4a.jpg

face4y.jpg

crystal2b.jpg

crystal1s.jpg

lugshot2.jpg

lugshot1.jpg

caseback2.jpg

caseback1.jpg

crown2.jpg

crown1x.jpg

bracelet7.jpg

bracelet6.jpg

bracelet5p.jpg

bracelet4.jpg

bracelet2x.jpg

bracelet1ok.jpg

endpiece2.jpg

endpiece1.jpg

And of course, the wristies!!!

wristie4.jpg

wristie3.jpg

wristie2.jpg

wristie1.jpg

So, there she is. My DRSD. ::big 'ole grin::

What do you think?

Guest zeleni kukuruz

M8 this one is unmodded if you ask me!

Mods you should do is.

Shaving crown gards

New insert

Drilling 2mm lughols to fitt gen 2mm springbars

Vintage lume the dial and hands

Putt in a gen crown and tube

Remove the paint from casback

He valv mod

Thats about it to get it perfect, much time and mony but well worth it ;) good luck.

Edited by Zeleni Kukuruz

Does anyone know what year they switched from "Orig Polex Design" to "Registered Design." I was under the impression that all MBWs had POLEX on them but I just checked my strapped collection and half say Polex - including my Milgaus, and half say "Registered Design."

One of the last things I got from MBW is the 1665 Case Set that they sent me directly - it says "Registered Design."

I gotta say, I like that much better since "POLEX" is a certain "tell." When they made the switch, does anyone know if there were any other improvements?

Bill

She looks bone stock to me, but the insert has been slightly "flattened" so it sits lower against the crystal, leaving a slight vertical lip. Verrrrrrrrry nice.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Does anyone know what year they switched from "Orig Polex Design" to "Registered Design." I was under the impression that all MBWs had POLEX on them but I just checked my strapped collection and half say Polex - including my Milgaus, and half say "Registered Design."

One of the last things I got from MBW is the 1665 Case Set that they sent me directly - it says "Registered Design."

I gotta say, I like that much better since "POLEX" is a certain "tell." When they made the switch, does anyone know if there were any other improvements?

Bill

I think they change it maybe two years ago.

I think they change it maybe two years ago.

That could be about right, but I think it must have been a little more than that because I don't think I have bought anything from MBW for closer to three years. How do you like them with straps? Genuine stingray with the best stainless deployment straps I could source.

Bill

post-223-0-41303100-1302199585.jpg

How do you like them with straps? Genuine stingray with the best stainless deployment straps I could source.

I'll take the one next to the right. You know the address. :whistling:

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Bill m8, not much style :)

But you have the largest mbw and tw rolex collection i have ever seen :) i dont think anyone can beat you there, crazy!!!

I'll take the one next to the right. You know the address. :whistling:

Damn, tou got good eyes - I had to go back to the original, (huge) pic, crop that one and fit to page - my old eyes ain't what they wuz!

Since it's you, and I know how you like to age watches with a hammer and bleach, I'd have to price it accordingly - say $2500.

That's more than fair.

Original unmodded MBWs fly "off the shelf" at $600

That stingray band and deployment clasp is expensive - say $100

You're too far away to drive and I only fly first class - say $1200

I'd have to ship my gun separately - say $70

FedEx shipping the watch - say $30

Stress factor - $500

; )

Bill

Bill m8, not much style :)

But you have the largest mbw and tw rolex collection i have ever seen :) i dont think anyone can beat you there, crazy!!!

LOL - It is amazing to me that the TW Bests didn't go first day.

To tell you the truth, even if I sold a dozen more than went so far, I think I'd still have the largest MBW/TW collection around!

I definitely went WAY over board back in the day!

Bill

No need to bring one, I have plenty for your enjoyment. How about a .44 Redhawk?

Like you, I miss my old MBWs too.

But my aim is improving. :Jumpy:

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Damn, tou got good eyes - I had to go back to the original, (huge) pic, crop that one and fit to page - my old eyes ain't what they wuz!

Since it's you, and I know how you like to age watches with a hammer and bleach, I'd have to price it accordingly - say $2500.

That's more than fair.

Original unmodded MBWs fly "off the shelf" at $600

That stingray band and deployment clasp is expensive - say $100

You're too far away to drive and I only fly first class - say $1200

FedEx shipping the watch - say $30

Stress factor - $500

; )

Bill

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

No need to bring one, I have plenty for your enjoyment. How about a .44 Redhawk?

Like you, I miss my old MBWs too.

But my aim is improving. :Jumpy:

My fave is a vintage 45 LC SA original (gen) Colt but if you're that well armed I guess bushwacking is my best alternative - for that I have a vintage (gen) Winchester 45-70. I also have a beautiful Uberti rep of the old Henry that was used to massacre Custer - I should take a pic of that one.

Gotta give me one thing . . . I am a consistent vintage lovin kinda guy!

BTW, my aim is very good. :whistling:

Bill

post-223-0-47031300-1302205607.jpg

post-223-0-11187300-1302205615.jpg

M8 this one is unmodded if you ask me!

Mods you should do is.

Shaving crown gards

New insert

Drilling 2mm lughols to fitt gen 2mm springbars

Vintage lume the dial and hands

Putt in a gen crown and tube

Remove the paint from casback

He valv mod

Thats about it to get it perfect, much time and mony but well worth it ;) good luck.

Any recommendations for our modders here in the CONUS who can perform these tasks for me? I shall not dare to do them myself. While I appreciate the works, I am no where near skilled enough to be the artist...

its def stock, needs a lot of work to be brought uotp par, luckily shes got good bones to start with ; )

the list of mods you got there would take some time for sure, easily an 8 hour+ day.

the bracelet is also completely wrong

be prepared to spend close to $700 if you want it close to right

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

its def stock, needs a lot of work to be brought uotp par, luckily shes got good bones to start with ; )

the list of mods you got there would take some time for sure, easily an 8 hour+ day.

Since he's not real familiar with some of this, someone might want to tell him what that watch with $700 worth of mods would be worth.

I don't suggest that it is a "smart investment" - the people who do these things do it for the love of it, but he should know that the extraordinary value of these particular reps lies in their potential as much as their superior quality and the work you describe (done by one of the respected folk) isn't money just thrown away.

It would be self-serving for me to opine since he got the watch from me.

Bill

I knew what I was buying. I wanted to secure the "good bones" to build, what to me, will be the ultimate vintage DRSD. It didn't make since to me to buy some POS to try to build up. That being said, I'll put the money into it so that when I'm done it'll look the part.

Who do you recommend for me to have these mods done? I'm willing to put the $ into the project to make it right. I knew it was going to require some love. I'm glad I'm getting the blank canvas, b/c I don't want to go over-board with the "vintage"-ization that some do. I want mine to look well cared for, like this:

http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=159167&rid=0

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I was told pbdad by one person. Any others CONUS that you'd recommend or think would be more qualified for what I'm going for. Also, what's wrong with the bracelet? I thought that 93150 bracelets were perfectly acceptable for these watches?

Thanks,

Jeremy