When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recommendation on 5517 T dial replacement...

hackR

am wanting to replace a yukiwatch 5517 "T" dial (the one that came in his pre-build 5517) with a better dial...

have checked out the dials offered by Yuki, NDT and J&W/Phong...the J&W/Phong dial seems to have the better "T"...but many here seem to prefer the NDT dial...

is there another source and/or any advice that you have regarding these dials, i'd appreciate it...

also, would like to match a new set of sword hands to whatever dial i pickup so i don't have to re-lume...the hands would be mounted on a 2836-2 movement...

thanks for any advice...

may also condider the older Tudor rose dials as an alternative...

thanks...R

to my knowledge, the one above in Ubi's pix, is an NDTrading dial...widths of the vertical and horizontal lines are the same - which is slightly off from the gen...

the one from J&W/Phong isn't bad either - but doesn't appear to be as crisp...and is pricey...this one, tho, does have the different widths of the vertical line and horizontal lines of the "T"...but the "SUBMARINER" is too large and spaced out...

here's the J&W/Phong:

5517.jpg

Essentially the Milsub dial is just a 5513 dial from the 70s (a lot of variations) with a "T" printed on it. I don't think they differ in any other way. That being said, since most Milsub dials look horrible (expect that one from Ubi, but I don't know if these are still around and also it was quite pricey if I remember correctly) your best bet might be to look for a good looking 5513 dial and have it refinished with the "T"-marking.

• 4 months later...

NDT is in my opinion the closest to gen out of all the aftermarket dials. That's what I used on Justasgood's and what I recommend to anyone looking to build a 5517 :)

Comparing all details and aspects, the NDT has:

-Closest coronet shape to gen

-Closest indicies shape to gen

-Best font replication

-Decent quality circle T

The next best option is to go with a genuine dial and have the Circle T applied. But that is a very expensive way to go (and also requires a talented dial printer with the proper capabilities to do the job right). It could turn out to be an expensive endeavor, especially if something goes wrong in the process...

also, would like to match a new set of sword hands to whatever dial i pickup so i don't have to re-lume...the hands would be mounted on a 2836-2 movement...

Hey Rob, i read somewhere recently that Omega Seamaster hands are perfect for this project ... i'll dig around and try to find more info

Cheers

P.