When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Honey, where'd the money from our savings account go?

cjjoyce1

I'd like to thank all the smackwads who got me hooked on this "birthwatch"/vintage build kick. I've never been so obsessive compulsive following threads, auctions, other forums waiting to snipe the right parts at the right price before in my entire rep career. Freddy, Star, jmb, Jsuperman, Blix, you're all to blame :thumbsupsmileyanim:

First - the Cast of Characters

CastofCharacters001.jpg

My Cartel "1:1" 5512 case. Lugs drilled and chamfered, case softened, case back was way ground down to be more gen like, and to say the crown guards where shaved would be a grand understatement - inside and outside job done, case retapped and countersunk for gen tube and crown.

CastofCharacters004.jpg

CastofCharacters015.jpg

CastofCharacters019.jpg

CastofCharacters018.jpg

Oh! and look who just arrived from Germany to join the party - my gen vintage insert from VRF!

CastofCharacters024.jpg

Here's a pic of my vintagized dial cased up prior to Gen Mania infecting me.

5513005.jpg

And now, we are just awaiting the arrival of our guest of honor, all the way from Great Britain- my Gen US made rivet bracelet I just snagged!

rivet2.jpg

clasp.jpg

The details,

Cartel 5512 base - modded

Gen Tropic 19

Gen Insert

Clark's Bezel spring

Clark's Retaining ring gasket

Gen 703 Crown

Gen 7030 Tube

Gen C&I Rivet Bracelet

one question, pardon my noobness, what is countersinking for? I'd figure you'd just have to re-tap it no?

And... also do you need all the gaskets in the tube to make it waterproof? My tube is missing the outside gasket, the small one that sits between the case and the tube, not the 703 outer big gasket

@flex - yup, as soon as I sell off some duplicate parts/open up some additional funds - it's got a 21J low beat right now though, and while most people hate DG2813's - I luv em

@praetor - gen 7020 and 7030 tubes are V-shaped at the base. If you don't countersink the case, the tube won't be flush against the case and there will be a big gap between the base of the crown and the case. That's why most people just go with gen crown if it will fit on the rep tube. On these new Cartels, they won't.

As far as the case to tube gasket missing, if you use some other kind of glue or sealant you should be fine

Edited by cjjoyce1

It doesn't look countersinked.. i.e. v shaped, just a round depression. I guess countersinking works too. But yea, I'm missing the fourth gasket, is that an issue?

Great project btw, but I would get another dial too.

post-22948-0-39828600-1302622492.jpg

Edited by praetor