When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16520 Project

omgiv

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admin...there is some great info here...we should pin this one...

I'm getting all geared up for a Daytona project also, but a 16523 and it would be nice if the above info is easily accessible.

For your project mate, I would immediately contact Ciccio...

Marco - I think Chief means Phong or MBW...

Just a small update:

I was having a hard time getting the pushers to fully press the start/reset pusher extension. I was going to modify the pusher but decided to make a new, longer pusher extension. I pulled out the lathe and milling machine and think that I got one made. I fit it to the movement and it worked like a charm. It started, stopped, and reset like a charm.....or so i thought. I let it run for about an hour with the chronograph running. When I reset it, everything reset except the hour totalizer. It seems that the reset pusher presses far enough in to depress the minute totalizer and chronograph, but not enough to reset the hour totalizer. So....I am going to modify the long extension pusher to fix that when I get some time. Anyway, here are some pics of the progress so far. Thanks for looking.

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

Thanks guys!!!!

@chieftang

I initially started making the holes for the pushers larger so that they would sit in the case deeper, but I noticed the tops of the pushers getting shorter when screwed down as I went deeper. I would have needed them to go deeper and decided that it would not look right if I did. It may not have been the right choice or the easiest, but it was what I came up with that seemed to work. Will keep you posted on that.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Things have been pretty busy lately but I have been trying to keep up with the forums. I have been working on a few NOS Omega pieces lately. I saw this post and thought that I had posted a completed project review. It has been finished for a few months now. Overall, I am pretty pleased how it came out. The only thing that bugs me is the case. I don't think that it is as accurate as others have seen. The caseback does not fit a Rolex die and the pushers had to be countersunk very deeply in order to reach the movement. In the end, I also had to fabricate two new pusher extensions for the movement to make things work. The bracelet also had to be trimmed slightly to fit between the lugs of the case. Anyway, here is the rundown of the parts:

Case: Phong

Movement: Zenith 400 with genuine Rolex parts added

Pushers: Genuine 24-P402 (New)

Crown: Genuine 24-704

Case Tube: Genuine 24-7030 (New)

Dial and Hands: Genuine (New)

Bezel: Genuine (New)

Crystal: Genuine 25-295 (New)

Bracelet: Genuine 78390A (New)

The question of the hour is how much it cost to do the project. I didn't keep a running tally of what I spent but it was probably somewhere around $6000-$6500. You could easily do this project for $5000 if you are smart with your budget, are patient in searching for parts, and don't care about using used parts. I wanted this to look like a NOS piece and thus was looking for new parts to use. I did have a lot of help from members of the forum, but did all of the labor myself. All in all, I think that it turned out to be a worthy project and would recommend it if you have the funds and desire. Thanks for looking!!!!!

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

I still think its worth it to build one of those beauties.

At least with the parts prices here in Europe you'll end up around 3500 to 3800 € for a seriously good one including a genuine bracelet. The gens are at least double the money, if they are in good condition easily in the range of 9k-10k Euros.

Guest oliviermenard92200

I should be crazy as I aready have a gen 16520...

For the moment I have :

- gen dial (6 inverted) + hands : 300 euros

- gen bezel : 280 euros

- El Primero 400 : 600 euros

What about nd case?

thanks