When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Dial construction makeup?

Librarian

Hi all,

I'm thinking of attempting my first custom job and I'd like to try for a late model 5513 circa 1989 towards the end of the production run. I was planning to use one of Trustywatchguys 5513's as a base.

However, as is normal for the rep world the path is not smooth. :yuk:

The later 5513's seem to have a dial makeup similar to 16610's. They have white gold indices and what looks like a white button, triangle or rectangle attached for the hour markers. Can anyone confirm that the buttons are an attachment or are painted on? Also, where to get the approprite (steel - it's a rep after all :bleh: ) indices? Would I be best buying a pair of $48 specials from Timeshop to get the indices which strikes me as expensive for that extra indice at 3 o'clock. Any suggestions gratefully received from a total noob.

Fairly accurate 5513s are available from a number of the sellers located on RWG (VIP membership is required for access to some sections of our site). Try Josh & Andrew for starters. While I would be the 1st to applaud a nice diy dial, I think trying to reinvent the wheel when a number already exist is not the best plan.

If none of the sellers on RWG have what you are looking for in stock, they may be able to source it for you. If not & you have a specific 5513 model in mind, post a good, clear pic (max size 1024x768) & we may be able to better guide you from there.

The later 5513s had the dials with the WG surround markers and gloss finish; up until the 80's, the dials were matte finish and with printed markers with lume applied like this:

So, it depends on what era 5513 you are wanting to build; the type of dial will depend accordingly.

:)

Ubi,

Is good to see back here and posting your pictures as always I envy your findings.

cheers

Something like this, Sorry for the bad pics.

Sly watcha got there?

im building something similar right now, gen WG dials in great condition can be had for $150 still. i would avoid the josh/andrew case, the cgs ruin it and that is something that can not be fixed. it might be worth exploring PTs 1680 and make it up to be a 5513. you already get the slow beat movement, 2mm holes, a better bracelet with closed endlinks.

Trustys 5513 is okay - the CGs can be fixed up nicely -

MBW is more $$ and req also a lot of work on the case ;)

i would stay away from PTs as it has not a gen like construction :)

and more important - the gen 5513 dial would prob not fit ...

cheers,

Frank

they all require work. the best starting point if you want something truly great in the end would have to be MBK, even yukis case which costs twice as much needs work and even has a wokky rehaut that can not be fixed, theres current threads on this issue here.

the hardest mod on the mbk is probably the crown tube swap the rest is just tedious sanding and polishing -a bit of art really. in the end fixed up the MBK would look the best, fits a gen dial (confirmed), has CGs that can be worked with unlike the new cartel version that has stumps that are better suited for a gmt. remember -you can subtract metal, but you can not add it.

im still collecting parts for my late 80s gloss WG 5513 dial build that im basing on an mbk chassis. parts seem to be hard to come by right now tho, this is hopefully temporary. the case (which is the best part) is about the price of a PT 1680, which you could also try. the pt includes; the correct movement, case tube, lugholes, bracelet, pin bars. clasp, dial and crown need replacing, cgs need doing, retaining ring needs machining, gen dial / insert may or may not fit...

some MBKs ive built

5648557284_1eabfaaf6d_z.jpg

5615632344_5b464dc0cc.jpg

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee