When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Side by Side - Avitt DLC rep to the new 26k to Ziggy PVD

tech

Here is side by side by side comparison...

NewJerseyDouchebags004.jpg

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh wait...wrong foto above, correct one is below...

AVITT DLC + REP 26K PVD + Ziggy PVD

In the flesh, the Ziggy PVD's shade is a much more darker shade of gray than both Avitts and the rep factory's 26k.

The quality of Avitt's DLC is better than the 26k that I have. Just wanted to share here and let everyone have a look see....

cheers

Totally agree on the gen look... I do prefer the idea of the case developing a Pattina... though Avitts is more robust and flexible for multiple use...

The thing with Robs PVD is he generally darkens, with oils, his PVD finish to get the gen look so if you need to shade down just dont get the darkening done.... but gen shades do vary eg 202a varies to 203a whereas PreA 009 matches 202a but 009A is darker and thinner/less robust etc etc

Each has a place but for accuracy I would go PVD then enjoy wearing it and watch it over time.... get its character :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Since we're on the subject of coatings, the original Panerai 5218-202/A has low quality PVD even by Pre-Vendome standards. It was performed by a smaller Italian shop that didn't necessarily specialize in coating smaller instruments, and as a result it's the most fragile PVD coating OP has used to date, barring only the galvanic "rodiatura" method they used on lug screw heads, buckles and CG lever pins. The shade of 202/A PVD was also different from later PVD that would come with 203/A in 1994 due to numerous complaints. I also think that many 202/As were re-coated at a later date as a direct consequence of the original subpar coating.

In addition, newer Vendome models - PreA, A & B also came with robust and durable coating, somewhat similar to 203/A but now from a different PVD shop with which Cartier had an established relationship. I think this third shop is the one The Zigmeister uses for his PVD. Not surprisingly, the resulting coat is one of the most rich and warm shades of black you can get, and it's also more durable than other cheaper mainstream offerings not to mention more appropriate for older models.

Just picking up on what I found reading up on the coatings PreV etc...

According to DG who also referenced DZ in his comments....

I believe the first 70 202a's had this weaker coating though shading was the same as the later ones with more durable finish.... The PreA and some A series 009 and 004 had the same coating as the 202a (later) but the first of the As had a different darker coating which suffered the same problems as the 202a so the quality changed again on the later As and onwards including the tone/shade of the PVD.. That last part I think came from G in a thread...