When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PO Parts from Cousins UK

OSRep

I would think so....I used a rat tailed file to get the rep tube out, and then epoxied around the inside of the case hole and the tube itself, stuck it together and tightened it down with a vice...Pugwash had a nice write up on this at one point...but it's an old post and hard to find...

I Browsed cousins website with the info provided in this thread. was able to find all the parts needed for an ultimate franken including the rubber strap; for about 1K you can turn your upo 42 into a master franken this includes the watch considering the Gen cost 3k is a heck of deal. 1/3 of the price and and only the case is rep. I thinking is easier than ofrei website.

Here's the Pugwash tutorial: Click Me

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Great find! Pugs (and yours) is a 4th gen right? Is the 5th gens' tube also pressure fitted and not screwed? Will need to find a modder with plenty of PO modding experience ;) Im not going to attempt this myself (I dont have the tools, time or experience to do this myself)......

I Browsed cousins website with the info provided in this thread. was able to find all the parts needed for an ultimate franken including the rubber strap; for about 1K you can turn your upo 42 into a master franken this includes the watch considering the Gen cost 3k is a heck of deal. 1/3 of the price and and only the case is rep. I thinking is easier than ofrei website.

Well its just a little over 1K (if you get a modder to assemble and service it)....But I reckon its still well worth the time, money and effort :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Great find! Pugs (and yours) is a 4th gen right? Is the 5th gens' tube also pressure fitted and not screwed? Will need to find a modder with plenty of PO modding experience ;) Im not going to attempt this myself (I dont have the tools, time or experience to do this myself)......

The 5th gen tube is screwed in to the rep. the Rep tube is much bigger than the gen tube though so you will need to eproxy in :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by zorg2000k

Keep the thread here posted it ye can guys as to progress, always interesting to see the coming together of a gorgeous watch.

On an other note, I don't mean to be sour or anything, but after seeing a minty gen go on tzuk just there for under 1K GBP (granted this is a rarity!) I'd nearly have to question the sanity of going all out on a complete super franken. Especially when good 2nd user gens are just about still available for semi reasonable prices. Although they are going up quite a bit over the past few months. Frankens are great but at the end of the day they are not gens. But if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep the thread here posted it ye can guys as to progress, always interesting to see the coming together of a gorgeous watch.

I'd nearly have to question the sanity of going all out on a complete super franken.

This is the rep game - there is no "sanity" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

UPDATE: Received all the parts from Ofrei and they (together with the 5th gen PO) are off to a modder in Germany for a MAJOR facelift!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Pics to follow in a few weeks........im excited!

Good luck with the build OSRep! I love my franken, I am sure you will too!

po5.jpg

db2,

is that a gen bracelet?

Awesome watch! I'm considering this project.

Unfortunatly I boought the non Swiss version 42 PO way back, thinking I would swap movement etc.

But no can do in this watch.. you have to start with the Swiss version I'm told.

If I can find a used Swiss PO I'll start a frankin.

UPDATE: Received all the parts from Ofrei and they (together with the 5th gen PO) are off to a modder in Germany for a MAJOR facelift!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

EDIT: I meant Cousins.....not Ofrei! :bangin:

db2...that franken looks suberb, great shot!

This is the rep game - there is no "sanity" :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:) Great stuff, keep us updated, very interested in these projects as I had a brainwave that if I could do the minimum expense franken necessary to get the 5th gen reasonably close to gen, then I might actually sell my real gen 42mm in a few months to replenish the watch fund. That's a bit mad in-itself but I bought the watch 2nd hand for £1100 GBP just about 6 months ago. They are now selling 2nd hand for about 1500-1600 GBP as Omega are raising prices across the board. I wonder what sort of franken I could get for about £500ish, I couldn't much justify going too far over this amount. Anyway I'm just thinking out loud :) Good luck with the franken :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wonder what sort of franken I could get for about £500ish

You could get a pretty good franken! I reckon the essentials are definitely: dial, hands and crystal. (That will strecth you to 800USD / £500 ish inc of the watch). The bezel on the 5th gen is actually pretty good (bar the lume pip). Otherwise you would need a gen 42mm sitting next to the rep to notice differences in the crown and He "valve"......

db2,

is that a gen bracelet?

Awesome watch! I'm considering this project.

Unfortunatly I boought the non Swiss version 42 PO way back, thinking I would swap movement etc.

But no can do in this watch.. you have to start with the Swiss version I'm told.

If I can find a used Swiss PO I'll start a frankin.

That it is. I found it over on watchuseek. Some buy sold his PO on Rubber and forgot he had the SS bracelet...yoink - I'll take that if you don't mind! It made a big difference in the fit and finish category...

You could get a pretty good franken! I reckon the essentials are definitely: dial, hands and crystal. (That will strecth you to 800USD / £500 ish inc of the watch). The bezel on the 5th gen is actually pretty good (bar the lume pip). Otherwise you would need a gen 42mm sitting next to the rep to notice differences in the crown and He "valve"......

Cheers OS, It actually sounds like a good project, I'm really going to consider taking it on, however I wouldn't sell my gen until after I saw the final result (for side by side comparison purposes!) I do love the PO but it is not so much my grail that a semi decent franken wouldn't substitute nicely. (My grail would be the moony!)

I agree, dial is a must have; Gen PO lume makes the watch, even walking from outdoors to indoors on a sunny day with the gen shows just how important the dial is, it just defines the watch. Hands aswell are a must for same reasons.

I'm a bit torn on the crystal, the gen AR is great but I've heard of even gen owners taking it off as it is a scratch magnet so I wonder if I could get away with rep crystal. I have the older version gen PO with the bluer AR compared to the newer clear AR gens. The blue can almost be distracting at times so don't know if it is necessary? What removing it, or even just leaving the rep crystal on does to the effect of the gen dial lume I don't know but wondering about this. I do know that those gen owners that removed the other AR actually for the most part prefered the effect as it made the watch more tool like and less 'bling'. I could nearly go with that, especailly if the rep crystal had inner AR.

The rep bezel is good, however even though the pearl has improved lately I somehow have some sort of erratic hatred of all rep pearls :) ..this goes back to the original smps and I don't think I can ever get over rep pearl :) ...even though I recognise that some of the pearl mods from franken projects I've seen lately actually look good, they would still give me nightmares :) irrational I know but I can't get over it!

The other stuff, He valve is just cosmetic and I don't care about these things, I don't care about bracelet as it will be on a strap, ....gen crown and tube I don't care about cos again cosmetic but going gen might be worth it for fear of rep threads stripping.

So I'm thinking dial, hands, bezel(unfortunately for pearl!) and maybe crown and tube at a push. If anyone sees any franken pics with this combination or very similar let me know? :) Also I anyone can convince me that the gen crystal is a must and why then let me know :thumbsupsmileyanim:

God damn I've again just raised the franken price by a couple of hundred :rolleyes:

Here is a link to my PO early in development. The pics at the end of the post include gen dial, hands, eta date wheel and bezel. Hope it helps. click here for link

Thanks alot db2, that's exactly what I was looking for, great layout of the process. It looks great and very genlike even after just those first stages. I will be bookmarking that thread. One quick question, when you eventually decided to put in the gen crystal did you notice a significant difference between the rep crystal and gen AR?

Thanks alot db2, that's exactly what I was looking for, great layout of the process. It looks great and very genlike even after just those first stages. I will be bookmarking that thread. One quick question, when you eventually decided to put in the gen crystal did you notice a significant difference between the rep crystal and gen AR?

Sorry for the late reply, I went from Rep AR to Chief's AR and then to Gen AR, so there were stages in the process, but the Gen one definitely had a much much more Blue Tint to it. But I hear that the newer ones have a more clear (less blue) hue to them...

• 2 weeks later...

LOL, youre right, it wasnt Domi (I think he might be busier?). I sent it to Uwe (also in Germany), but Uwe doesnt deal with the movements - just modding. He was surprisingly quick though......I sent my watch on a thursday, on the coming Monday Uwe emailed me pics of the assembled watch :pardon: