When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Old and New

jasf2002

Hi Thought I would post a few pics of my two subs I first found this place in October last year and am fascinated by the amount of info that there is here - the how to topics and examples have been so helpful as before last October I had never taken the back of a watch. I started with couple of Timeshop Nooobmariners and they were really good - I think they gave me the bug as they were considerably better than I had expected. The problem with this forum though is that the more you read the more picky you get - Rehut depth, Crown size, Pearl etc etc all make you strive for a better 'look'. Up first is my Sub Supreme from PT - I think this is the same as the old WM9 V1 or BK's current Sub but don't really know. I got a non engraved rehaut version as I was a bit wary of alignment issues - the Noob's were poor and I ended up removing on them.... thats a long story on its own! I have done the following Mod's

PT Sub Supreme:

Noobmariner Bracelet

Sub Supreme clasp

Clark Crystal

2.5mm Rolex Gasket (BK recommends this in a post somewhere to go with Clark Crystal and get the right Crystal HeightGen InsertReplace

All Crown Tube seals with new ones

Crown Guards shaved (takes a lot of effort)

Gen Crown - fits straight on

Noobmariner Dial

DSCF2131.jpg

DSCF2133.jpg

DSCF2135.jpg

DSCF2136.jpg

DSCF2138.jpg

DSCF2139.jpg

DSCF2140.jpg

DSCF2142.jpg

Next up is Josh's 5512 - I was inspired by another thread on this. Its a great case but guess the Crown Guards could be better but the overall construction is really good. I have not done ageing as I like it looking like it is - I intend to replace the dial with a 5513 and say its a Service replaced.

Josh's 5512

Drilled out lug holes

Rehaut needed a good bit of TLC

Crown guard work

New thick tube (did not use a gen as I think these are to wide for the low crown position - I installed a gasket between the tube and case just like gen)Gen Crown

Sorted the clasp lock (removed the incorrect indents

Gen Tropic 19 (that took a bit of searching)

Gen Bezel

DSCF2118.jpg

DSCF2119.jpg

DSCF2120.jpg

DSCF2121.jpg

DSCF2122.jpg

DSCF2124.jpg

DSCF2125.jpg

DSCF2129.jpg

Let me know what you guys think

That wm9 v1 is looking great!

Nice combo there, fit and finish on that watch is very convincing of a $5k watch.

Which insert are you using on it?

On the 5513, how did you fix the clasp lock and remove the indents? It looks great!

I have a similar pair of old vs new.

been kinda partial to the vintage one though, the newer one gets no wrist time anymore.

dsc0594e.jpg

Both look great. Wear them well. :tu:

Thanks for the comments

That wm9 v1 is looking great!

Nice combo there, fit and finish on that watch is very convincing of a $5k watch.

Which insert are you using on it?

On the 5513, how did you fix the clasp lock and remove the indents? It looks great!

I have a similar pair of old vs new.

been kinda partial to the vintage one though, the newer one gets no wrist time anymore.

Your watches are looking good - know what you mean though the vintage is a real classic design

WM9 insert is Genuine, Fits perfectly on a WM9 so took the opportunity of getting one on the bay. Close up I have to say that the Watchmaterial pearl is very very close.. just a bit off white.

A for the bracelet - Dremmel then various grades of sandpaper. I took it to polished and then used a scotchbrite pad to get an even brushed finish

Ta

the problem with removing the indents on the clasp is that those clasps are drilled incorrectly to begin with, removing the indents and someone noticing the smooth flip lock but the 1/2 adjuster holes aligned the way they are will automatically suspect it since NO 93150 with a smooth flip lock has the 1/2 adjuster holes aligned like that. a better scenario is to play it off as a replacement 93250 clasp. now with the smooth flip lock its not believeable as a 93250 and with the misaligned holes is not believable as a 93150

93250 only available w/ indents 2 tiered adjusters

007-1.jpg

93150 , smooth flip lock, OR indented flip lock, linear 1/2 adjustment notches

34g8qkx.jpg

the problem with removing the indents on the clasp is that those clasps are drilled incorrectly to begin with, removing the indents and someone noticing the smooth flip lock but the 1/2 adjuster holes aligned the way they are will automatically suspect it since NO 93150 with a smooth flip lock has the 1/2 adjuster holes aligned like that. a better scenario is to play it off as a replacement 93250 clasp. now with the smooth flip lock its not believeable as a 93250 and with the misaligned holes is not believable as a 93150

93250 only available w/ indents 2 tiered adjusters

93150 , smooth flip lock, OR indented flip lock, linear 1/2 adjustment notches

You are spot on!! As I said ... Always learning. Guess it's easy enough to say it's an aftermarket replacement but no doubt I'll spend some time trying to find or sort. Do any of the dealers do a correct clasp?

Ta