When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Advice - buying first gen Rolex

ahchard

Hey guys n gals... after all these years with reps I am going to buy my first gen and would like to start with a Rolex. Trying to choose between a Black Submariner DLC or a GMT Master II Ceramic. Would value advice and thoughts from fellow members... Thanks!

I am not into DLC'ing a classic, so I would go with the GMTIIC, which is 1 of the few watches in Rolex' current line-up that has benefited from modernization (the ceramic bezel looks great on the GMT) without looking too blinged-out.

Agree with freddy all the way. I actually own a gen GMTIIC. Great watch! I believe Rolex just had another price

increase making them tough to find at a decent price.

Hi ahchard,

If you're going to spend the money on a gen you might as well go for one with a complication!

Rolexes are pretty much bomb-proof. I've had a SS DJ since 1993 and it ran perfectly without being serviced for 16 years. It was my daily beater until I got my GMTIIC two years ago. Prices have gone up, but if you get one you will have it forever.

DJMarch10001.jpg

008-Copy.jpg

Thanks for the comments... I also really like the GMT IIC... but I can get a two month old DLC'ed Sub pre-owned for about USD5,000 which is very cheap I think... the guy bought it from Watch Empire who are the ones that do the DLC treatment... I am not very familiar with DLC rolexes... do they have any collectible value?

"Prices have gone up..."

Up! is right.

Submariner

116610...$8000 LV...$8550

116613...$12200 (tutone)

116619...$34000 (18kwg)

116618...$31300 (18kyg)

14060M...$6300 (steel no date)

116660...$10650 (deep sea)

GMT Master

116710...$7900 (steel)

116713...$11750 (tutone)

116718...$29500 (18k)

(prices from the 'net, after May 10 USA price increase)

If I were buying...I would get a used example from an individual (TZ, WN etc).

Why?

Let the first owner eat the sales tax and depreciation.

No $$ will go to rolex USA or swizzerland.

From those on your list my vote goes to a GMTIIC as well, though I myself would go for a nice 5512 or something like that. Vintage Rolex are pure class and when you buy one in good condition you won't loose any money if you decide to sell it sometime in the future.

I'm not sure about the toughness of this DLC treatment, might look pretty ugly after a few years with a few dings on it...

Another vote for the GMT IIC, if you travel a great deal, Rolex's GMT complication is by par the best implementation. You set your home time with the 24 hour hand, and the 12 hour hand can be quickset to reflect the local time. This makes total sense, since you want the 12 hour hand to reflect the local time, since it is the most prominent hour hand, and you don't really need the watch to tell you if it is day or night locally. However, the 24 hour hand tells you what time it is (and whether it is day or night) at home. Most other GMT complications have a quickset on the 24 hour hand, and it just isn't natural in my opinion. Furthermore, there is no reliable replica of this GMT complication.

out of your choices, i'd go with the GMT. The problem with DLC is that although they look stunning in their own rights, they will devalue like crazy, hence the cheap price you are offered, Rolex will not touch them and they are not as versatile as the standard range that Rolex already offers.

I think you will identify yourself and bond much better with a untouched gen GMT!

OK... thanks fellow RWG'ers... I have decided to go with the GMT II Ceramic...

Need another favour from you all though... I am also going to buy another watch... a RXW MM20 from some guy on bigwatchforum... how will i know it is the real thing and not a rep? Are sellers on bigwatchforum all legit?