When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Rolex Submariner

clubmaster

I got in love with the vintage Submariners, and decided to get one.

Who has the best replicas made?

What are the most basic modifications for this?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum clubmaster. Well, where to start with the answer to your question. First, be prepared to see a barrage of insulting reply's saying "use the search function". That's such a frigging cop out. Some folks just aren't that helpful or friendly around here to be quite frank but i digress. Now back to the question at hand. I would start by looking in the "dealers" section. There are many trusted dealers that offer good looking reps and yes, vintage Submariners included. They all have pretty much the same thing. All with there plus and minus qualities. I have an MBW 1680 that has been modded and i like it a lot. Mods typically include trimming of the cg's and aging a bit. Also, the rep crowns on the vintage models are horrible and need replaced. Take care and have fun with your quest. This is an addicting hobby, and lots of fun :thumbsupsmileyanim:

seafoam

Edited by seafoam

I suppose that everyone has opinions, but I would certainly agree with the prior reply - get an MBW if you can find it.

They accept gen parts. By the time you source the watch (make sure it really is an MBW), and then spend the money on the mods, it is really easy to have $1000 invested, but the end product in my view is well worth it.

The gen crown installation and drilling the lugs are the single most important mods in my view - those pinhole lugs are an immediate, obvious tell, and none of these rep crowns has anything like the feel of a gen.

Also, it looks like these may turn out to be an even better investment than was previously thought. Read the latest threads on MBW and MBK - we may never again see the watches that Maria used to put on the street.

Bill

If I'm not mistaken, Josh and Andrew are really the only two who are in the vintage market... like seafoam, I have a MBW 1680 and love it. A big mod that will have to be done is the drilling for larger spring bars (unless you buy a used watch where it has been done). I've had that done as well as a gen crown put on. The desires list includes crown guard shaving and a lume-job. Depending on how into the mods you want to get, do some research on which watches accept gen parts. I'm wanting to start a 5512/5513 project and need to follow my own advice...

Regardless, welcome and enjoy! :drinks:

Thank you all for the help and grace.

I have now decided to go with a 5512 submariner. Only concern now is which? I read a review written by Star69 on the vintage Rolex Submariner 5512 from Josh. So who is Josh? Could this be a good start? I understand the movement isn't the best, but I wouldn't mind changing it if someone only told which movements fit into the casing of the 5512?

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

The Josh 5512 Sub is a good starting point. However, the crown guards are very short and stubby. With some aging, they can come out looking OK - if not a bit overpolished. A must is drilling out lugholes, though. That is probably one of the biggest tells.

I can't think of anything wrong with the movement, provided you get the 2836. The movement is very durable and accurate. One plus of the Josh case is the fact that it takes a gen dial.

Another plus is the fact that it uses gen construction. Underneath the bezel is a bezel ring, which, when removed, provides access to a gasket space. If you install the gasket here, and in the space in the caseback, it should be pretty waterproof. A gen crown ($50) and a Clarks or Cousins Crystal will make a huge difference as well.

Here's some pics of mine. I went the 5513 route, but that was just dial preference. The build was on a Josh 5512 case. (Thanks to JMB for the mod work!)

post-32456-0-19813900-1306607002.jpg

post-32456-0-16138300-1306607018.jpg

post-32456-0-28740000-1306607048.jpg

post-32456-0-45865300-1306607077.jpg

I have bought a yuki 5512 case set with eta dial hands and movement ring and should have It this week. I also have a gen crown and tropic 19 plus a genuine bezel insert too. I have ordered a rep with slow beat eta 2846 and will use that plus the bracelet until a good gen dial appears on the market then I will fit a 1560 movement inside! Will post some pics when it all comes tohgether.

I have bought a yuki 5512 case set with eta dial hands and movement ring and should have It this week. I also have a gen crown and tropic 19 plus a genuine bezel insert too. I have ordered a rep with slow beat eta 2846 and will use that plus the bracelet until a good gen dial appears on the market then I will fit a 1560 movement inside! Will post some pics when it all comes tohgether.

sorry to say, but the new yuki cases are junk (wok haut, glued in crown tube), you ll soon be returning it, search the recent rolex section for explanations, or 'sly' can also tell you all about it.

also i dont see a point in buying a gen movement unless one day you hope to unscrupulously sell it as a gen, IMO its a waste of $1,200 when a fully service and adjusted ETA can match the COSC tolerances. for the same price as a gen movement you can build a visually complete gen 5513 gloss dial watch, sans case.

i dont see a point in buying a gen movement unless one day you hope to unscrupulously sell it as a gen, IMO its a waste of $1,200 when a fully service and adjusted ETA can match the COSC tolerances.

There is nothing like seeing the embarrassed look on a haughty jeweler's face (who thinks he ID'd your watch as a cheap rep :whistling: ) after his watchmaker has opened the case of your franken to reveal a gen movement. I only wish I had my camera with me. :bicycle:

Priceless. :drinks:

We will see when it arrives what the quality is like. It depends on what you're expectations are, I don't think the mbw cases are anythinhg special without much work.

I would probably fit a gen movement because I can but only if I found a good 5512 dial. I could go out and buy a gen but I enjoy messing with these projects so I will see how it goes.

I too love vintage rolex. My advice is if you don't know how to mod them yourself you'll end up posting it all over the world to get the mods done properly so keep an eye on the classifieds and pounce when the right one comes along, don't bother haggling, a good one will go quickly. Try to get an MBW case and look for mods done by some of the pro's on the forums, anything that has had mods done by pbad, jackjo, donerix and RSH will be well treated and among the most accurate you can get. Good luck with your search!

Im a member of most of the rep forums and imo all the best watches, the most accurate, the most modded and the most unusual vintages always show up on RWG so you're definitely in the right place.

Edited by plymman