When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any word on the 8 day A6497 movements?

GarrettP1

Highly doubt Chinese watchmakers are going to create a movement with an 8 day reserve. LOL. Looks like you are living in a fantasy world =)

There are already Chinese tourbillons (both axial and planetary) and at least 1 inexpensive replica watch (108 USD) has a 2 barrel movement with a 6 day power reserve .. so why do you assume they can't replicate a 3-barrel movement? The British Horological Society's official membership watch is a chinese tourbillon ....

6 DAY TWIN BARREL REPLICA, $108 USD

post-29026-028179600%201278642737.jpg

There is a review thread on this A L & S replica .. here

I do not have one of these but a forum member states in the thread that he had the same movement in a faux tourby, and in was a 6 day movement.

I have no personal experience with it.

edit: After some research, I see this movement comes from a company named Tao International, and is advertised as an 80 hour piece. So much for 3rd hand information :pardon: Forum member "sul" says his can go 86 hours.

"After some research, I see this movement comes from a company named Tao International, and is advertised as an 80 hour piece. So much for 3rd hand information Forum member "sul" says his can go 86 hours."

Eighty hours is pretty good imho but I wonder how often they are supposed to be wound...every two days or every three? For example, I have a Favre Leuba 'Twin Power' (2 ms barrels) and it claims to be good for 48 hours but you still need to wind it daily because it will stop if you miss winding it every other day by a few hours.

My Kienzle 'Atlantis Mecanique' (Plain Jane Unitas 6497) will run for about 50 hours but is not quite as accurate after 30 hours so you wind it daily.

Then there is the Illinois 60 hour 'Bunn Special' RR pocket watch...it might run for 60 hours but you are supposed to wind it every day because it was designed to run with a 'tight' mainspring.

I think the 'two barrel' Tao 80 is a cool watch movement just because of the way it looks. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

There are already Chinese tourbillons (both axial and planetary) and at least 1 inexpensive replica watch (108 USD) has a 2 barrel movement with a 6 day power reserve ...

6 DAY TWIN BARREL REPLICA, $108 USD

post-29026-028179600%201278642737.jpg

I had one IWC with this movement, yes power reserve was long... don`t remember exactly but power reserve was suprising- very long. Watch was running perfectly also. I was just consider, who will be able service these movements? Watch was not my tast( too small) so it was sold but regarding movement I will use 6497-1 /-2 movement with two day`s power reserve than this 6-day movement.