When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Come To Momma And Poppa

Guest TTK

Come to Momma and Poppa....:D

Really slick, but where do you go from a Railmaster? To strapping a grandfather clock on your wrist? :D I always figured that a 44mm PAM was my limit - and with all common decency taken into consideration - it is. But this watch is starting to call my name... One more post by you with pics of this thing will probably push me over the edge.

You know guys, I first came to Asia in 1986......I bought my first rep in 1986...I stayed at The Sheraton on Sukhumvit Rd.....the barber's shop on the lower mezzanine had Rolex Datejusts on display.....no prices...so I wasn't sure if rep or real.....I asked and we negotiated back and forth and I walked away with a silver dial Datejust for 30.00 pounds......I couldn't belive my luck.....it was the start of a love affair with Thailand and the commencement of my search for many Holy Grails.....from AP to Zenith.

I look at 'reproduction' pieces such as the Railmaster series....new SMP chronograph.....Portuguese.....P.O.'s......and so on....and I think to myself......'these guys have no clue......they don't realise that we are living in a Golden Age.......where the forger's art has progressed to the point where we all find it very difficult to spot the difference between rep and real......the truth of the matter is....if it were not for the Internet....few of us would have access to material that allows us to be so discriminating towards replicas.......good thing or bad thing.....I think a combination of both......we get the best of fake items dropped in our laps because of the internet......and yet because of it....we also become so blase about what we actually have access to.....!

The new Railmaster in my opinion is so good...that my genuine is now a whisker away from being traded for something else that the master forgers haven't cast their eye over yet.......!

49mm......I'm currently talking to my friendly AP dealer in Glasgow about a genuine AP T3...at 57mm......that's no Momma or Poppa....that's the bastard son of Humvee.....!

Edited by TTK

Just for you Chiefy....please excuse the obtuse angle......it's quite difficult to hold a large SLR and shoot your own wrist at the same time.....:D

PS....get yer chequebook out.......:lol:

132340-18907.jpg

132340-18908.jpg

Edited by TTK

Neil, Great story. Most of us have come to the Rep hobby solely because of the internet. Imagine.....this group from every corner of the globe......nothing in common but this hobby. It's probably also prodded the manufacturer's to improve quality to the level it is now achieving......And guys like you who have the ability to bring these quality forgeries to our attention....

Ain't life great!

Neil, that is a stunning watch. I bought the 40mm version, but its way to small, I can barely see what time it is. Anyone know if there is something in between?

BTW, I ordered the SMP Chrono from you, but the payment was rejected. Did you find out why your brother rejected it?

Neil, I agree with you regards the Golden Age of Reps, I've been collecting now for 3 years.

I know this is irrational but, sometimes I find myself in a slight panic thinking what I should buy next before they all get taken away. There are a few reps I'm mildly interested in, I keep thinking I should acquire them before this wonderful replica world gets destroyed by people who don't approve of what we have here.

7'3/4" in the morning....running to 8" in the evenings......but my wrist is more 'thick' than 'broad'....!

ttk, do you wear a 120x80 strap on a 44mm pam? it seems as our wrists are about the same, swelling and all. lol i can wear a 120x75 it just gives me a little extra room in the evening with a 120x80. that watch is beautiful.

@HK....the strap that I put on the Railmaster is just a temporary one....it's a Panerai strap.....125x75x24x4mm......which I find is a perfect fit for me.

I've ordered a new tapered 24>22 strap from Banda.com....honey croc double stitch suitable for a deployant strap.

I honestly don't think the watch looks that big.....I think it may be beacuse...unlike a Fiddy or 187..(18mm....vs 12mm for the Railmaster )......it's not that thick....and sits very flat on the wrist......!

@HK....the strap that I put on the Railmaster is just a temporary one....it's a Panerai strap.....125x75x24x4mm......which I find is a perfect fit for me.

I've ordered a new tapered 24>22 strap from Banda.com....honey croc double stitch suitable for a deployant strap.

I honestly don't think the watch looks that big.....I think it may be beacuse...unlike a Fiddy or 187..(18mm....vs 12mm for the Railmaster )......it's not that thick....and sits very flat on the wrist......!

i don't think it looks too big at all. the strap you are going to put on it will be beautiful. i can tell by looking at it on your wrist that it would look fine for me also. it is a very beautiful watch!