When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cool Watches On Grey's Anatomy Last Night

thedoctor

I noticed that Preston Burke was sporting a Panerai and Derek Shepard was wearing a Daytona. In my medical opinion those are damn nice watches to be wearing while screwing interns in the hospital.

Which is very unreal...considering the salary of a resident :lol:

Even a surgical resident?

Residents (regardless of specialty -surgical or non surgical-) make the same amount/year...Residents are classified according to their 'longevity' in years upon entering the residency program (PGY 1, PGY 2, PGY 3 etc...PGY means Post Graduate Year)...This varies from state to state and from Institution to Institution...but all residents of all specialties in a single institution make the same amount of money... :o

To give you an example...this is what new doctors make (gross pre-tax)) in NY (Columbia Presbyterian to use just one example) these days

Year Annual Salary

PGY1 $45,234

PGY2 $47.487

PGY3 $50,935

PGY4 $52,682

PGY5 $54,014

A different story unfolds when you become 'attending'...then the priority is to pay off the medical school debt (100's of thousands usually) :wounded1:

Edited to say I did not mean to hijack the thread but to honestly answer Puggy's question! :D:

A different story unfolds when you become 'attending'...then the priority is to pay off the medical school debt (100's of thousands usually) :wounded1:

Edited to say I did not mean to hijack the thread but to honestly answer Puggy's question! :D:

Can the chief cardio-thorasic surgeon at Seattle Grace afford a Panerai? I still say he can. Not wanting to dwell too much on a fictional character, but he's a well-paid until-recently single man without extravagant habits. :blink:

Can the chief cardio-thorasic surgeon at Seattle Grace afford a Panerai? I still say he can. Not wanting to dwell too much on a fictional character, but he's a well-paid until-recently single man without extravagant habits. :blink:

... and not wanting to seem like a GA-shipper (I'm not, I just tend to remember [censored] ... :Jumpy: ) but Derek was described as having a $2 million per year hand when he punched some bloke, so I assume a Daytona isn't out of reach.

Good neurosurgeons can make 1-2 million a year. Cardiac surgeons make 500k+. They used to make over a million until the development of stents which the cardiologists put in, taking away the major source of bypass surgeries for the cardiac surgeons. There were residents I knew that had Rolexes but they were graduation gifts.

The preferred hospital pimp watch for the doctors that want to show off how successfull they are is the blue two-tone Rolex sub. The older ones that are in their 60's wear two-tone datejusts. I did see an internist wearing a red sub, which I assumed was real.

An anesthesiologist that I recently worked with who is in his early 50's was sporting a Breitling Seawolf with a rubber strap. I think he was surprised that I knew what it was. He said it was his sailing watch. He was a little less happy when I told him they sell them at Cosco.

When I'm nailing interns, I prefer to wear a titanium Panerai. The large watch face let's me quickly assess how much time I have left, and the light weight doesn't slow me down. :bleh::lol:

Physician salary has nothing to do with how good you are and everything to do with where you live. A neurosurgeon in Seattle? Maybe 500K. But a neurosurgeon in Nebraska or South Dakota? 1.5 million. I wonder if the watch "props" are genuine or replica.

Edited by bkdc

I think that would depend on how much airtime the JLC got relative to the cast of the show! ;)

Hehehe, two hilarious replies... :lol:

That show is absolutely horrifying.......like Gilmore Girls......just saying it...... :yuk:...

Although the mom in Gilmore Girls is a Milf.....I mean.....lovely lady.....

Residents (regardless of specialty -surgical or non surgical-) make the same amount/year...Residents are classified according to their 'longevity' in years upon entering the residency program (PGY 1, PGY 2, PGY 3 etc...PGY means Post Graduate Year)...This varies from state to state and from Institution to Institution...but all residents of all specialties in a single institution make the same amount of money... :o

To give you an example...this is what new doctors make (gross pre-tax)) in NY (Columbia Presbyterian to use just one example) these days

Year Annual Salary

PGY1 $45,234

PGY2 $47.487

PGY3 $50,935

PGY4 $52,682

PGY5 $54,014

I believe both Shephed and Burke are 'attendings...'

There is massive variation in what doctors make according to their seniority and work activity.

Independent of their hospital salary though, is their private practice income..........in the UK this is what separates the goats from the sheep.

One of my Consultants ('Attendings') for example, sweats away on 12-16 hour cancer operations in the big hospital for nothing in excess of his monthly salary ( around £5000)

However, on a Saturday, he will treat about 10 - 15 private patients performing very simple, bread and butter procedures on them and clear £20 - £40 k easily for that one day.

He is not a big watch man.........I've seen him wearing a TAG and a Baume & Mercier.

However, he likes cars...........

His colection includes : Porsche Carrera 4, Aston Martin DB9 Volante and Ferrari 575 Maranello. :Jumpy:

Edited by Nottsman

I can't quite make out what was burke wearing in last week's episode, I think it is a fiddy. perhaps my tv screen was too dark, if someone can confirm/deny that, I would appreciate it, on wikipedia, they said burke was wearing a 196, but that shot of the watch looks to be too big for a 196, so I was curious.

I can't quite make out what was burke wearing in last week's episode, I think it is a fiddy. perhaps my tv screen was too dark, if someone can confirm/deny that, I would appreciate it, on wikipedia, they said burke was wearing a 196, but that shot of the watch looks to be too big for a 196, so I was curious.

I'll get you a photoshopped screen grab later this week. If you can tell me the episode/time it appears, I can get it sooner.