When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD V2 Dial dilema

usmctowgnr

I have been searching but cannot come up with a difinitive answer.

I have a ssd v2 that I am going franken with. I currently have a gen insert and vintage 703 crown and tube for. I also have a bk dw custom overlay.

My dilema is the dial and crystal combination. I would like yo stay with a 16600 sl version but I cannot find a correct dial with the larger minute markers. I ordered a sillix special that has the correct minute markers but everything else is bad so I am not going that swap route. I would like to get a gen dial but they all are tritium dials and since my crystal has th lec and I know of no way to switch it I think that wont work.

So my question, is there a source for replacment crystals without the lec, or one for a sl dial that has the correct minute markers.

Thanks

Joe

Me thinks you worry too much!

A few years I bought a gen 16800 as a beater. I got a good price on it. I came to find out that it was an 8.1 mil SN with a newer tritium dial with the WG surrounds- the dial and hands glow well at night. Last summer driving into town one day in the sunlight I could clearly see the lazer etched crown- Rolex had installed a new crown when the watch was serviced in the late 90's. Also, the DW was a later replacement- closed 6's and 9's instead of the original DW w/ open 6's and 9's. To boot, the DW printing was smaller, making it look like maybe 2.0 mag. I was able to find a NOS DW and that fixed that problem.

So the moral of the story is Rolex could care less. If they're Rolex parts, everything is cool as far as they're concerned, period.

Get a tritium dial and get it relumed and don't worry about the LEC.

Ahh...I didn't know you had two.

Well...carry on then!

Let me know if we ever solve the crystal replacement deal.

For me it's not the fact that it has the etching... It's just too big and obvious not gen

:)

It seems like the ssd has a few dilemas. The lec is to large and to the best of my knowledge there are no alternatives. I wish one of two things. Either there were a better sl dial with the correct minute markers and just bite re bullet and use the existing crystal. Or a replacmemt crystal, no lec then I could go with the tritium dial and make a 16660. I know I am stressing the small stuff that 99% of re people wont notice but I will know and it will drive me nuts. I think I liked this hobby better when I knew less lol. I had a chance.to buy a gen 16600 sl dial a few months back but 450 was to steep for me.

I've got one too and have the same 2 concerns. The LEC and the insert. Are you saying that a gen insert or a Wholesaleoutlet will fit just right?

Also, no solution for the crystal? Why did they make that LEC so visible? Drives me nuts!