When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

You won't believe this...

iwan67

Ok, after a long time of observing the rep market i bought me a gen 111M for my birthday from a reputable and official watch reseller. After few weeks of wearing the watch, i just looked for curiosity closer to compare to the images of the

005 here on forum. And now please check the gap of the crown guard looks!!. I was really disappointed and wanted to share this with you guys, as i was always thinking the gen panerais are flawless. Now i brought the watch to the

Ad and he said they never saw this before, but it might be some kind of glue that panerai uses to while screwing the screws into the holes (that is used in aviation also), and it might gotten out while assembling and

"frozen" so the screw was not tighten correctly. The screw sits super tight, and you cannot screw it more into the crown, to make it flush with the body. So now the watch is away to panerai and i have to wait

4 weeks... Although i must admit that the finishing and the whole quality of the gen is much higher than the rep if you look really closer.

post-14953-0-56496400-1307138486.jpg

I bought it online, but from a german dealer who has a shop and who is known as reputable. Also i got all the correct papers and also the watch has all the correct signs of a gen and was also

accepted as a gen by panerai. So i could send it back actually, but it will take longer to wait for a new watch, than for a repair...

Any rep dealer would be flamed around here for such a bad performance.

I hope that Panerai can fix this one for you without any cost.

What happens if the dealer messed around with the crown guard.

Keep us posted on the progress of this issue.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I have never seen a gen with that level of poor final finish. Is there any chance the cg screw is not fully screwed into the case? I have had problems with gen PAM's in the past but nothing as obvious as that. Was this bought as new or second hand? In any case that reputable dealer should have at least taken a look at what he was sending.

Doesn't Panerai put a sealant from the factory between the CG and watch body? I thought they did. If so this would help to hide any type of gap and give an illusion of perfect fitment. Even if, that seems like a pretty large gap.

Knowing nothing about the dealer or this watch I would suspect someone else has messed around with this watch.

This is unacceptable for a rep, let alone a gen. I would be kicking up some serious stink over this one.

Edited by subbiesrock

One just have to go through a new purchase with a fine tooth comb.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The premium of paying for a Gen entitles the buyer to peace of mind knowing that it should have gone through many stages of QC before reaching the consumer. What else are we paying top dollar for? I reckon this one was fiddled with somewhere along the line and is not representative of typical newly purchased PAMs...I hope...otherwise they have a lot to answer for if this was released under their normal QC measures...

on the bright side...,

the imperfection i mention above, the CG being not flush, is not that common.. let's just say i find it in 2-3 out of 10 luminors i've handled(i've lost count)

one other common imperfection is the crystal purity, it's a little difficult to explain but i'll try my best: when you point a flashlight from the side of the crystal ie:light is 90 degrees from side of the case, pointing sideways level with the crystal, photography term: side lighting. sometimes you can see some lines inside the crystal, not the dial/interior, but on the crystal material itself. i've found these on several gen panerais.

all said and done, luckily now all my luminors have flush CGs and perfect crystals.. and i don't think i'm not as OCD as before.., i still find some imperfections in other areas, but who cares, chose to rather live with it and enjoy the watch.., i can always deal with it later when it's servicing time, that is, if i decide to keep the watch and not upgrade to other models before servicing.

to the OP, best wishes for the warranty service, hopefully they will resolve it quickly. cheers!!

I have seen plenty of little nitpicker nits on various Pam gens I have owned. A spec under the crystal, an auto whose date starting flipping over at 11:40. That looks pretty sh*tty though

What a bummer, after spending all the $$$ and now you have to wait another month.

yes; ) but seriously: for that price i expect at least a not so obvious flaw. I can't imagine a rolex with such a optical flaw -or did anyone has something like that on a gen watch?

Rolex makes a million watches a year, there are tons of flaws.

Here's a nice explorer II with some nice hands.

16570bph1.jpg

What a bummer, after spending all the $$$ and now you have to wait another month.

Rolex makes a million watches a year, there are tons of flaws.

Here's a nice explorer II with some nice hands.

16570bph1.jpg

WOW... i will wait for the watch and tell you all when it comes back (hopefully soon) how it looks then.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. The premium of paying for a Gen entitles the buyer to peace of mind knowing that it should have gone through many stages of QC before reaching the consumer. What else are we paying top dollar for? I reckon this one was fiddled with somewhere along the line and is not representative of typical newly purchased PAMs...I hope...otherwise they have a lot to answer for if this was released under their normal QC measures...

you would think so but my gen Omega Planet Ocean (less than 1 yr old) got all fogged up after a 100ft cold water dive. That never happened with the reps I water proof myself ;)

My gen Omega Planet Ocean (less than 1 yr old) got all fogged up after a 100ft cold water dive. That never happened with the reps I water proof myself ;)

I would take it back and ask for a full refund... It says 600m on the dial and it's worth thousands of dollars. It did not fulfill its primary purpose at 30m, then it needs to go back.

I doubt it would pass a 5ATM (50m) waterproofing test. Did they not check it at the factory? I would have had it tested professionally, gotten a certification that it failed, and go into the AD with the watch in the box with the certificate and say 'I'll take another please'. Abysmal...

As for self-waterproofing... Have you been trained as a watchsmith? Are you certified to waterproof Omega watches? (I'm assuming not :)) then why is it that you can waterproof a REPLICA of an Omega and get it more waterproof than what a factory one is?

It boggles the mind, it really does. Imagine how many people there are who don't dive with their watches, who would have much the same problem. It would be rather coincidental if you lucked out on a bad apple AND was into diving.

I go back to my previous point. What on Earth are we paying for with gens? Imperfections should go as the inverse square of cost. Pay hundreds (reps), expect niggles, pay thousands (gens), expect a lot...

I would take it back and ask for a full refund... It says 600m on the dial and it's worth thousands of dollars. It did not fulfill its primary purpose at 30m, then it needs to go back.

I doubt it would pass a 5ATM (50m) waterproofing test. Did they not check it at the factory? I would have had it tested professionally, gotten a certification that it failed, and go into the AD with the watch in the box with the certificate and say 'I'll take another please'. Abysmal...

As for self-waterproofing... Have you been trained as a watchsmith? Are you certified to waterproof Omega watches? (I'm assuming not :)) then why is it that you can waterproof a REPLICA of an Omega and get it more waterproof than what a factory one is?

The Omega service center took care of it under warranty but I had to pay shipping/insurance to get there, which I agree I should not have to worry about.

As to "self-waterproofing", yes I'm trained to do that but no by Omega.

I think it's the sacrifice to the mass production. Sure, it's not possible to produce all watches or what ever to 100% - but i think most people even don't really look at quality but rather only on the price tag and the brand. When i took my pam to the authorized dealer to send it to repair he said to me "oh, that's right, but i wouldn't notice it myself" - intending, it's just an optical flaw that only "picky" people notice. But once you've noticed something like this, it bugs you; ) It's like buying fresh nike sneakers with a black dirt spot on them, which will not come off.

I will post the picture of the crown guard, when it comes back from panerai... we will see; )... hope they repair one thing without damaging another... lol

The Omega service center took care of it under warranty but I had to pay shipping/insurance to get there, which I agree I should not have to worry about.

As to "self-waterproofing", yes I'm trained to do that but no by Omega.

I will post the picture of the crown guard, when it comes back from panerai... we will see; )... hope they repair one thing without damaging another... lol

the only danger is for them to say "oh you need full service, refinishing for the case, etc." and send you a $600 bill.