When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stop smoking reading a book ? Did you

Stephane

Stephane,

i started reading the book but didn't finish it.

As you know i used a drug to stop smoking ( successful since December 2006 ).

It's all a matter of mental strength and if the books gives you that little more that you need to stop

smoking then it works.

Keep reading the book but i know that you have enough strength to stop smoking even without a book.

Success

Carpe Diem

Cats

Stephane,

i started reading the book but didn't finish it.

As you know i used a drug to stop smoking ( successful since December 2006 ).

It's all a matter of mental strength and if the books gives you that little more that you need to stop

smoking then it works.

Keep reading the book but i know that you have enough strength to stop smoking even without a book.

Success

Carpe Diem

Cats

Thanks Cats.

I know what you mean about strenght but, at the stage I am in the book, I'm convinced strenght isn't what is needed.

The concept of being hill and addicted to the worst drug (nicotine) seems to be the truth to me.

I need to convince myself that I'm hill and that what I do is more than stupid as I do not like to smoke at all.

No smoker can trully believ he likes it. Sure, many of us are saying it, but if one takes a break and listen to his instinct, nope, we don't like that.

What can we possibly like in cigarettes?

The awfull odor and the taste of the smoke, to cough like a dying man, to almost vomit each morning when brusshing teeths?

In fact, what Carr says, is true: each time your light up a cigarette you do it because you feel "empty".

The problem is that when you light cigarette A, you are not trully filling the current gap but prepare yourself to fill the next one and thus to light cigarette B.

True Stephane it's not all about strength.

Breaking the habit finding other areas interest and being convinced that it is bad for your health are also part of the solution.

I was lucky , i know this sounds absurd , that they discovered cancer in my kidney.

Believe me almost every week i think of lighting a cigarette but the rational person in me says it's a bad habit and my every 3 months check up

helps in convincing my self not to start again.

Come guy you can do it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Stephane.

In November last year my doctor told me I had to have a major operation, and I MUST stop smoking.

When I asked for options he said...'Have the operation in 2 days time, or be dead by Christmas."

Not much of an option.thumbdown.gif ( And believe me..it gets your attention...big time)

I had my last smoke the night I went to hospital, I was put on a drug (Champix) to withdraw, and I haven't smoked since.

I still crave a cigarette EVERY day...however I tell myself " I no longer smoke"

Its hard...very hard...I think I'm lucky - as the penalty of death constantly over my shoulder is an extremely strong reason not to fall off the wagon!

After I stopped, I did read his book. It probably assisted. Somewhat.

However Madame Guillotine...poised over my throat on a daily basis...is a far better influence than all the psyche books ever printed.

I have a close friend, who knows he should stop, but can't....because he doesn't REALLY want to!

I had tried previously, and failed.

I have succeeded this time....after almost 50 years of smoking.

And the bonus!

I have already saved over $4000.00.

JUST DO IT.

O/S

I DON"T SMOKE ANYMORE.

Actually Stephan the book you read doesn't have to be about quitting.

If you are an avid reader, have a book handy during your free time and you wont notice cravings.

I used patches myself, although I only needed one weeks worth, but then I had just found out my little girl had asthma and that was all the drive I needed.

Ken

All good point gents.

I feel proud to know drug addicts like you who stopped...

I understand very well the risks you faced, wheter yourself or a beloved.

But so far, at 50 and 1/2, appart from coughing like a 90 years old guy, showering minimum 2 times a day and brushing my teeth at least 4 times a day, I have no bad signs :Jumpy:

And, Dave, you're so right. Carr says it: fear is all what stops us to stop :)

How the hell will life look like after so many years with a poison in my brain and whole body...

So, for all of us, present and past smokers, I make a promise:

I'll finish the book :rofl:

edit to say: back in a minute...smoking one outside the house now :pardon:

@ offshore , a physical reason is a very good reason/way to stop.

@ Dave123 one way or another but if you ask me it's indeed only a mental case.

The addiction of nicotine only lasts for 1 or 2 weeks.

Come on Stephane you can do it

Carpe Diem

Cats

@ offshore , a physical reason is a very good reason/way to stop.

@ Dave123 one way or another but if you ask me it's indeed only a mental case.

The addiction of nicotine only lasts for 1 or 2 weeks.

Come on Stephane you can do it

Carpe Diem

Cats

Yup, nicotine last very few weeks.

According to my doctor, for who the topic is their battle, patches for 21 days are the way to go to get rid of the addiction to the poison.

So that can be handled easily.

But the mental case, unless you wanna suffer for months, should be dealt with BEFORE stopping.

At least when there are no physical reasons.

So, in my case, I want to believe in Carr's story and method prior to stop again.

My only other try was a nightmare: 5 weeks though...so, not a nicotine shit case, just a mental case which probably was "I don't really want to stop"...

Forgot one very important reason ,

the guy sitting next to me in my avatar

Carpe Diem

Cats

Of course!