When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rubber vs Steel vs Leather

sempire

Steel Rolex bracelets (excepting the spring-type) have always been my preference due to the way they conform to the shape of my wrist (rubber & hides tend to bow). However, I just ordered a nifty aftermarket rubber strap for my CHS because the ceramic GMT's polished center links leave the watch looking too blingy for my taste. The black rubber strap tones down the GMT's gleam, giving it a more workmanlike appearance that brings it closer to its tool watch roots.

I have an HBB on rubber,a DJ and 1950 on leather, and a YM on steel that I wear regularly. I prefer leather over all of them, but steel definitely has its advantages... I would prefer to wear the bracelet to the park for example. Over time the leather molds nicely to my wrist and I prefer that. The strap on my fiddy is 6 years old and I love it

I don't get the rubber strap craze, I really don't care for it. I am currently exploring options for putting a leather band on the HBB.

ADtbb03.jpg

I love leather straps but I think ss bracelets and rubber are better for a watch to be worn regularly :drinks:

so in the perfect world leather > ss bracelett > rubber

but my next watch and the one after that will have ss bracelets

My preference varies depending on the occasion and climate. In hot weather, I'll only wear my silicon Tropic-Style strap, or NATO. Cooler weather, and I'll wear SS or plastic bracelet, or a leather strap, and for a formal occasion, I'd only wear a leather strap :)

My preference varies depending on the occasion and climate. In hot weather, I'll only wear my silicon Tropic-Style strap, or NATO. Cooler weather, and I'll wear SS or plastic bracelet, or a leather strap, and for a formal occasion, I'd only wear a leather strap :)

+1. I've been rocking the 312 on a black 4-ring NATO and it's comfortable and visually appealing. But if it ever needs dressing up, the OEM black croc is waiting in the wings ;)

Edited by subbiesrock

I keep trying to like the rubber straps, but I just can't do it. The folded link bracelet on my Tudor, or the solid mid-link ss bracelet on my Stølås Harbormaster are insanely comfortable. The gen jubilee bracelet that was on my franken DateJust was incredible too.

Definitely prefer the SS bracelet over any other options personally. Only watch I currently own that is not on a bracelet is my grandfathers Bulova that I restored and that one is on a custom made HK Tan croc strap. That one is pretty comfy too, but not my first choice.

+1. I've been rocking the 312 on a black 4-ring NATO and it's comfortable and visually appealing. But if it ever needs dressing up, the OEM black croc is waiting in the wings ;)

That's the way to do it, bro :good::drinks:

I keep trying to like the rubber straps, but I just can't do it. The folded link bracelet on my Tudor, or the solid mid-link ss bracelet on my Stølås Harbormaster are insanely comfortable. The gen jubilee bracelet that was on my franken DateJust was incredible too.

Definitely prefer the SS bracelet over any other options personally. Only watch I currently own that is not on a bracelet is my grandfathers Bulova that I restored and that one is on a custom made HK Tan croc strap. That one is pretty comfy too, but not my first choice.

Same here about liking rubber straps. I try to love them but they aint that great, however, I do like the kevlar style rubber straps like maratac's.

Leather>SS>rubber

Guys, you really have to give these silicon Tropic-style straps a go. The waffle-back means minimal contact with the wrist compared to a flat rubber strap (which do get hot and sweaty) and they stay cool and dry quickly following a swim/shower. On the other side, the basket-weave texture gives a really nice feel and appearance, and the raised sides make the strap suitable for the chunkiest of lugs, I really cannot recommend them highly enough :good:

That's the way to do it, bro :good::drinks:

Guys, you really have to give these silicon Tropic-style straps a go. The waffle-back means minimal contact with the wrist compared to a flat rubber strap (which do get hot and sweaty) and they stay cool and dry quickly following a swim/shower. On the other side, the basket-weave texture gives a really nice feel and appearance, and the raised sides make the strap suitable for the chunkiest of lugs, I really cannot recommend them highly enough :good:

I'm going to have to get one for my 20mm lugs to try out. Can't beat it for that price! Thanks!

I had one of those too when I had my fifty fathoms. I don't know why, but I think I just like the feeling of the watch as a bracelet that is allowed to slide around on my wrist. The leather or rubber straps just grab too much on me. I must admit, I do like the NATO or the Bell & Ross nylon straps quite a lot during the summer :D

I'm going to have to get one for my 20mm lugs to try out. Can't beat it for that price! Thanks!

Always happy to recommend a good product :good: When it first went on, it was a tiny bit stiff, but that soon developed into a comfortable curve, and as above, the waffle-back really does make the strap incredibly comfortable in hot/wet conditions :good: Here's a pic of it on my Tudor so you can see how it looks :drinks:

DSCN3191.jpg

I had one of those too when I had my fifty fathoms. I don't know why, but I think I just like the feeling of the watch as a bracelet that is allowed to slide around on my wrist. The leather or rubber straps just grab too much on me. I must admit, I do like the NATO or the Bell & Ross nylon straps quite a lot during the summer :D

I know exactly what you mean there, as you say, a bracelet does have a lot more movement in it :) I wear my strap tight enought that it doesn't slop round my wrist, but loose enough that it still gets a bit of movement as well, just to aid with the ventilation :) NATO straps are definitely the best when it comes to comfort in the heat, I just don't like how they feel when the get wet, and it's not exactly a secret that I don't like taking my watch off in water (probably a drowned industrial diver in a past life :bangin: )

I'll always buy my watches on steel if possible, then pick up rubber or leather later. I do this simply because a steel bracelet is always harder to acquire after the fact and I always have the option of going gen on the leather or rubber. As to what I wear? Its pretty much even. In the summer when I'm more casual it'll be mostly leather and rubber but in the winter there are periods where I'll switch everything to steel.