When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What ROO to choose? Here is a helpful list

Dear All,

many members consult me for questions regarding what AP to choose for their first AP or what model to add to their existent portfolio.

Sometimes I am in the mood to just name one piece, but most of the time a wide variety of AP´s come into my mind. So I think its time to just summarize what AP ROO would be a good buy.

Please notice that this is just my cheap opinion and you may think of the complete opposite, plus; I cannot name all excisting reps but all ROO´s named are

a) on my wish-list

B) allready in my watchbox

c) gone to new homes but had been on my wrist for longer.

So beside the usual flaws you all know (date, caseback, crown-position), all newly released models are very accurate.

In the end it all depends on your own taste and your own style to wear watches. I may suggest 3 categories:

1) if you are John Q. Public, just the normal guy. You have a RLX Sub and an Omega or Breitling, you like Panerai and many other watches but you don´t change your style daily, you wear a nice watch for months before changing to a new model....I would choose a watch with understatement, not flashy, dark dial, rubber strap in black or leather strap in darker colors ....best for that are

- Black Themes (classy, standard, wearable with strap [rubber] or bracelet....the only watch for a bracelet me thinks)

10.jpg

- Grey Themes (although it should be Titanium)

1.jpg

- Silver Themes (can handle a ton of different straps....I have at least 5 straps for this piece only)

8.jpg

- CHRONOPASSION (should be ordered with a rubber but you can upgrade it with a nice APBands strap). Now there are 3 versions on the market, but I highly doubt that you will find V1 (Titanium brushed finish like the standard ROO) floating around.

V3: We were told that the sandblasted Titanium finish was done on a bare case.

V2: had a brushed finish and was re-done with a sandblasted finish.

We might see a difference when compared side-by-side with a lense/magnifier.

1.jpg

- Rubens Barrichello 2 black (mind the dial plate that lacks some details, but stunning rep nontheless)

1.jpg

- Rubberclad with black dial (this is the "Submariner" amongst the AP collectors)

19.jpg

- GSTAAD (a little bit of color with a dark case, looks different than others with the rubber bezel)

1.jpg

All of the above can be worn out-of-the-box.

2) if you and the people around you know about your watch-hobby, if you are bit more bizarre, you choose a watch to your outfit.....you can play a bit more with the nice AP ROO reps;

- Tour Auto 2010 (the best part of this and the DRIVER is the accuracy and the wonderful newly designed bezel)

1.jpg

- DRIVER Boutique (orange instead of red accents)

1.jpg

- White Themes (needs a good, high-grade croc strap to make a stunner)

8.jpg

- SAFARI (needs a very good and therefore expensive croc strap, better hornback....that is pricey, HKTan does the trick, APBands fits better, used OEM would be the icing on the cake)

1.jpg

- NAVY (the blue rep-hornback is not that bad....but a good APBands strap in blue color is deffo an upgrade)

12.jpg

- Montoya in ss

1.jpg

- Sachin Tendulkar (the upgraded version of the strap with 3 colored stitches will re-focus from the plasticky leather strap :D )

8.jpg

- Volcano (with the upgraded inner Tachy ring in matte orange, the older versions used anodiced orange color)

22.jpg

With an additional strap or a nice croc from 3rd party supplier, these are all nice watches with an attitude.

3) if you are Mr. Cool Man :cool: you can go for all the other nice pieces that are screaming in color, appearance, material, ..... just beside the norm. So here goes;

- SURVIVOR (the very first absolutely stunning and nearly 1:1 replica in the ROO business, the watch wears equal to all other ROO´s due to the PVD coated Titanium case, the pusher protectors don´t dig into the wrist)

8.jpg

- MASATO (red/black and a little bit of bling...just enough to make it get some second looks)

8.jpg

- EoD (wonderful alternative as you can wear it on the nice velcro strap)

8.jpg

- Las Vegas (deep dark black and bloody red....the devil inside, wow)

19.jpg

- LAVA

1.jpg

- MARCUS in PVD or gold (not 100% my taste but I kind of like it)

1.jpg

1.jpg

- Don Ramon De La Cruz (I am a stainless steel guy....if I were to choose a gold watch one day, this would be it!!!)

1.jpg

- Rhone Fusterie (Red, white and silver/grey....good color combination, I had it on a light grey calf strap)

1.jpg

The last pieces listed are for the more experienced watch-nuts, for those who wear jeans and T-shirt but still pull-off a ROSEGOLD big watch with flashy red accents.....

So I hope the small list above will help some members to find their own AP ROO without spending a fortune on several pieces and learn the hard way. Nearly all of the above had been or are in my collection, so I know what I´m talking about.

Arrh...BTW, I have not mentioned the new DIVER although its a ROO.....yeah, I ordered it and wait for it, nice alternative to all my chronos ;)

It is a wonderful piece, it has a new designed case construction, thinner, and most of the watch is 1:1 to the gen....allthough the factory managed to do a date-window and date-mag that is too small compared to gen....another downer is the missing lume on the rehaut :bangin: . So I guess we might see a V3 of this watch in the future. But in the meantime I love mine :wub:

1.jpg

Thx to Joshua for allowing me to use his pics!

Cheers mates....and send me a note if you have any Q´s or if you are willing to part with your ROO or parts of them.

Theo

• Like 3

Thanks for the run down, MADRED... One question: What can you tell me about fitting gen straps to sec@12 cases? Direct fit, conversion link kit needed, or strap mods needed?

Thanks!

The newer models sec@12 are perfect for gen straps...you´ll find a 1:1 fit without any problems. Use the rep-endlinks as they are correctly fitting the case and the strap.

The "older" sec@12 models can be a bit more difficult....but with some shaping down the endlinks they will fit as well.

Theo

Great post Theo! Thanks for sharing you knowledge on AP's

...Any comment on the City o Sails???

I don´t think there is any City of sails out there in the rep world that is worth mentioning.

Those watches that use the caseback engraving are from minor quality.....the "Paris Boutique" black/grey dial has a nice appearance but thats all.

Theo

The newer models sec@12 are perfect for gen straps...you´ll find a 1:1 fit without any problems. Use the rep-endlinks as they are correctly fitting the case and the strap.

The "older" sec@12 models can be a bit more difficult....but with some shaping down the endlinks they will fit as well.

Theo

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Theo

Hi MADRED7:

How can I tell which model is the newer seconds @12, compared to the first generation of seconds @ 12 for the ROO?

Also, could you give a link where to order a real alligator or croco strap for the Rep. ROO? thinking of getting the Black themes or Silver themes but with bracelet.

Thank You