When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Sub?

Lateralus

All of this gets me thinking about.........who has written the best "Who has the best sub?" post?

Reposted from RWI (Thu Mar 23, 2006), the thread where I first coined the term Noobmariner:

http://replica-watch.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=486

It's a comedy question that we always ask. The response is always either a show of mirth or a demand to search the dealers.

Still, it's not a very good response. Are we that lazy that we can't even answer something like the following?

"It depends on your wallet, but you can spend an awful lot of money on an MBW and gen parts tarting it up ... or you can get a decent one from TTK for around a hunnerd-n-sum bucks, if you don't mind cheap insides."

Are we that insecure about upsetting dealers in the middle ground, or fearing the ridicule of our peers that we can't have a stock answer prepared?

I used TTK in the example of the cheapo Sub because that's where I got mine. I know other dealers stock it and that the dealers don't all have their own private factories, but I'll always know it as the TTK Sub. It's up to the other dealers to convince me that I should call it something else, unless I can come up with something more generic myself.

This leads me to answer my "Who's got the best Sub" by redefining the question. I'd say "Who's got the best Sub ... for a newbie to the whole Rep community" and I'd answer "Ah, you're looking for the Nubmariner. I got mine from TTK, and if you shop around, he was at one point offloading them for an amazing paypallable $99, but I paid $120 for mine and have had nothing but joy with it."

Damn, this has been a meandering post. I've got a reputation to uphold here, so I'll post a pic of my Nubmariner.

134947-18374.jpg

I'm happy to entertain alternate spellings, such as Noobmariner or similar ...

• 2 weeks later...
:) Okay simple question/poll which dealer has the best sub for sale currently? I keep reading so many good and bad that it is difficult to make up my mind?

Thank you

Part of the problem is that every sub replica, even the best, have terrible flaws. I agree with By-Tor that this fact remains mysterious. This is a very simple watch. I can't understand why the levels of fidelity you can find in a Tag Link or Omega Seamaster can't be replicated in the most replicated watch in the world.

My personal favorite is Wo-Mart's $119 SS Sub. Great rehaut, 2.5X mag on the crystal, great pearl and bezel. But it has flaws too.