When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where are you now and where would you rather be?

sempire

After sitting in the office this morning hating Monday, I figured i'll see where i'd rather be, and perhaps rob a bank and move there.. I'm thinking I need the island life..

Anyone else wishing they could relocate?

I'm in Canada, and the whole work to live, live to work lifestyle isn't for me..

Growing up in Toronto, but now living in Los Angeles, I must say I quite like it here :D

I was looking to move to Santa Monica a few years back, but now married with a kid, I am not too sure how easy that move will be..

Did you go out there working, or are you into other things... I knew a fair share of people that just wander out there with no idea and just needed to figure out their plan..

Moved out for work then just stayed :D Been here 15 years. Hollywood/Burbank is where I need to be for what I do for a living. To be honest, if I could get the same sort of job in Toronto for the same sort of pay, I would probably move back. Cost of living here is ridiculous!

Moved out for work then just stayed :D Been here 15 years. Hollywood/Burbank is where I need to be for what I do for a living. To be honest, if I could get the same sort of job in Toronto for the same sort of pay, I would probably move back. Cost of living here is ridiculous!

Toronto sucks though. Unless you are holding a million plus in net assets it sucks. it's work and sleep. you need to be able to go up north and spend the whole summer doing nothing..

Toronto sucks though. Unless you are holding a million plus in net assets it sucks. it's work and sleep. you need to be able to go up north and spend the whole summer doing nothing..

Yep. I'm in the GTA as well. Traffic sucks. Weather sucks. Cost of living sucks. T-dot is definitely a rat race. I share you pain bro. I look forward to the day we can afford to retire and get out of the city.

Like RED, I was raised here but lived in California (in my case, for ten years in the South Bay area). I do miss the place. But the USA was very good to us and we came back with the means to live well in Toronto, even if we do have to work.

So you like Toronto, you just don't want to work? Unfortunately wherever you move you are likely to face the same problem. Only solution is to rid yourself of your worldly possessions and move to a third world country to live on the beach all day. As you are spending time on a luxury watch site, me thinks that thats not an option for you.

I like Toronto because I actually love the cold. The people here are nice and very tolerant, with some exceptions of course. There's a couple of downsides though. 1) The mayor... (i still think he's [censored] things up). 2) TTC seats - you guys know what I'm talking about...they just replaced the old trains with new ones but still kept the dirty carpet seats. Toronto is as much fun as you want it to be. There's bars and restaurants everywhere. I really wish more places like st. Lawrence market is near my house. I really like the groceries they sell there and I always wanted to try the peameal bacon. I just wish restaurants are cheaper here so I can go eat there everyday. Any recommendations for a good place to eat (even food trucks) near U of T?

Edited by praetor

I find this subject interesting, the sand does look whiter on the other side of the fence. I've been in Toronto many times as my 2nd ex-wife was from there (Great city, to visit). She lives here permanently having raised our son joint-custody. I was born in NYC and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area. Been on Maui for 33 years and not leaving. I spent 9 years in and about ski resorts prior. On Maui, after the activity of youth has waned, the beach is there but I rarely go now except for walks, you appreciate the beach :fish: but its not the only thing and after decades one can get jaded about anything others take as luxuries. :boat: But island life in Hawaii is expensive if you want more than subsistence living, so I spend five days a week in an office. On the weekends, like anywhere else in the world in warmer climes, it can be paradise because of the tropical weather. Island life is slow paced, the people extremely gracious & friendly. When we vacation, we usually travel to cities for just the opposite of what you are thinking to get away from that hectic pace.(No constant city white noise background). Newer transplants get island fever, bored with the one season weather, struggle to make a living and leave after a few years. If you can make it for five, you usually stay. B)

So you like Toronto, you just don't want to work? Unfortunately wherever you move you are likely to face the same problem. Only solution is to rid yourself of your worldly possessions and move to a third world country to live on the beach all day. As you are spending time on a luxury watch site, me thinks that thats not an option for you.

No. I hate Toronto, and it's not the work. It's the commute to work and back, it's the cost of living vs income, it's a lot of things.

At the end of the day when you are waking up 3 hours before you start work so that you can commute it sucks, when you go to the store to get a carton of milk and you are stuck in traffic for 30 mins to get 1km away, and then have to wait in line another 30 minutes to pay, it just gets tedious. Sometimes it's nice to get away and have a vacation...

Funny enough mentioning living on a beach though, I have had a chance to live on the islands, but more of a first world thing with lots of money and it was pretty nice and relaxing even with some work mixed in. Out of the many places I have lived and visited, Toronto is definitely bleh.

It's all about the quality of life..

You sounds like you live in Toronto though..

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, my friend. I lived in Hawaii my entire life with the exception of a few years of college in LA, but now I currently reside in the Pacific NW. The cost of living in "paradise" is absolutely absurd! It's so bad that most of us locals have to leave because we no longer can afford to live where we grew up.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, my friend. I lived in Hawaii my entire life with the exception of a few years of college in LA, but now I currently reside in the Pacific NW. The cost of living in "paradise" is absolutely absurd! It's so bad that most of us locals have to leave because we no longer can afford to live where we grew up.

sometimes it's not even the money.. I remember living places where random people would say good morning to you, or strike up a conversation, everyone got to know each other. You even ended up knowing your neighbors.

I can't really say that here.. when you're right behind someone they won't even hold the door. It's a great 'only I matter' mentality, and if you're a little beyond that it's a miracle...

People are mistaking the Razor House (linked) as the Iron Man house. You don't need to build one like it, it already exists, only $20M, down from $39M. Pull out your checkbook now for that bargain!

Yeah, I laughed when I saw that and they were saying it was the Iron Man house, but I'm looking at it, and thinking "That's not right, that shouldn't be there..." Fantastic house though, and definitely the kind of place I would love to live in :) Given my love of movies, memorabilia and reps, if I ever was in the position to have that kind of money, I figure I would just have the actual movie house re-created (maybe not on a cliff though :lol: ) and live in a replica of the Iron Man house :D

Living in the high arctic, and there's no other place I'd rather be.

This is Don Sheldon's cabin perched above the Ruth Amphitheater on the flanks of Denali. It would be heaven on earth to me.

don_sheldon_cabin_summer.jpg