When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash Went To Thailand

Pugwash

Hey Pugwash, that first picture is somewhat of a biased representation of Bangkok. IF you want to properly represent Bangkok try putting up more pics of the actually city. Bangkok is not only shacks. No offense, I'm just a little of a Thailand addict, haha. Try getting up some pics of Siam Square. MBK, Paragon, Discovery mall, etc... Some Sukhumvit Road pics. Ok maybe you dont any. Anyways, for those who haven't been to Thailand, Bangkok does have a lot of places that look like the first picture, but a lot of more modern parts to it too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post, Pugwash. :)

This is where I'll go when my kids are grown up, and the missus has thrown me out.

And nice to see some pics other than the usual beach and party ones my friend shows me.

I almost went to Jomtien Beach this summer, but the long flight with a 14 month old baby made me decide otherwise and choose somewhere closer.

My friend is there 2-3 times a year, and brings home all kinds of rickety low quality reps, I'd really like for him to find a few decent ones, and any kind of tip on where to go would be appreciated.

He's always been a firm believer that the ones he's bought are the high end ones until he saw my recent buys.

Well other than trying to contact NEIL (TTK) personally. You can tell your friend to go to MBK (A mall), on the second or third floor, can't remember which, but there are these stands, that sell a lot of fake or stolen cosmetics and then you will come up to a couple of glass stands selling watches right next to the cosmetics stands. I think 3 or 4 stands in total sell watches. The watches they have on display or under the table are naturally crappy. But on one of the tables, there is a guy working there called Na. Don't try and pronounce this name with an American accent, they might not understand you. Don't pronounce it like "NA"sty, but like "NA"rcotics. Anyways, if he is there or not another employee who might know him; ask him and he can get you some decent PAMS.

I didn't buy any personally when I was there as I was low on cash and I will be going back soon enough so i will buy some the next time. When I asked him to show me the PAM 183 and the PAM 111. He pulled out two pieces of crap with automatic movements. SO I was like what the f...., the PAM 183 and PAM 111 with Automatic movements. I immediately told him, I want something more like the original. I motioned to him that it has a hand wind movement. As English doesn't seem to be a strength of most of the employees there, I had to do a lot of hand movements. Anyways the guy asked for my phone number and said he would call again in an hour or two. He did, I came down and the watches he brought from some UNKNOWN location were of the same quality that we get from some of our dealers here.

So when he found out I wasn't really buying them, he was kind of disappointed, but offered to sell me each watch for 6000 to 6500 Baht. I can't quite remember the exact amount, but thats about 120 to 130 Euros per watch. Quite a decent price and as I'm a seasoned member of the old RWG and come here and read quite a lot, (rarely post these days) I was quite sure of their quality and would recommend anyone in Bangkok having the chance to go to MBK to at least check it out for themselves!

Hope this is a helpful tip...

Good luck :)

Best regards,

Viennawatch :)

Hey Pugwash, that first picture is somewhat of a biased representation of Bangkok. IF you want to properly represent Bangkok try putting up more pics of the actually city. Bangkok is not only shacks. No offense, I'm just a little of a Thailand addict, haha. Try getting up some pics of Siam Square. MBK, Paragon, Discovery mall, etc... Some Sukhumvit Road pics. Ok maybe you dont any. Anyways, for those who haven't been to Thailand, Bangkok does have a lot of places that look like the first picture, but a lot of more modern parts to it too.

Where is the interest in that? Why put up the stuff that looks like anywhere else in the world?

Of course I'm biased. I took photos that looked interesting to me, a westerner. What's the point in showing how similar BKK is to other modern cities? I'm not paid to take pictures that represent Bangkok in a favourable light for businesses to move to. The stuff that's interesting is the stuff that places BKK firmly in SE Asia.

That first photo is taken from my brother's Balcony and the building in the top left is Pantip, the techie mall. I didn't go looking for it, it was right there in front of me.

Tell you what, here's a city shot without slums:

136403-18104.jpg

... and here's one you'll probably not like, taken from the back of a speeding Tuk-Tuk:

136403-18105.jpg

And sorry, Pugwash for using your travelougue for this. :)

Feel free. :D

Hey Pugwash

Just sorting thru some photos from my trip

Heres my new 'Thailand runaround' I finally managed to take delivery of just before I left to come back to the UK (you recall the deal was driving me up the wall when we met!).

137130-17948.jpg

and here it is getting it's Thai Insurance Policy ..........

137130-17949.jpg

137130-17950.jpg

And finally one in its natural habitat........

137130-17951.jpg

Now just need to find an aftermarket snow plough to scare away all the damned twist-and-gos !!!

Heres my new 'Thailand runaround' I finally managed to take delivery of just before I left to come back to the UK (you recall the deal was driving me up the wall when we met!).

Excellent! I remember the tales of woe and timing. :D

It's great to see that it all worked out in time. It's a bit tasty, and it looks like it'll deal with the Thai back roads brilliantly. You could even carry an Isaan girl's sick buffalo in the back. :blink:

As for the monks, I too took a Monk pic. The splash of orange makes for excellent photos. It's for the Wat Hong part of my travelogue, so consider it a sneak preview:

137153-17946.jpg

(Excuse the size and quality, I'm without my tools at work)

Wat Hong... Chachoengsao? (Wat Sothornwararamworaviharn) Thought those dancers in your photo link were from there. If so I hope you remembered some perfumed waters and a Luang Phor Sorthorn image for luck.

BTW all my photos from my new mobile phone (which I bought on impulse for its macro button!!!).

Ok, here's one from two years ago without glare:

Although very nice colours i think the one with the old monk who is looking out the window is so much nicer because if you look at it it has a story to tell. But there is just that &$^@&@* glare. :D

Probably if i would see it as a blow up in real i wouldn`t mind the glare.

Ok I'll be serious for a second, I have a friend who is an artist and a while back she went through a phase where she was painting American Indians.

The thing that grabbed you about her paintings was the soul and mysticism that you could see in her subjects face's.

That's what you got in that pic of the monk only the glare distracts from the face.

Ken

Although very nice colours i think the one with the old monk who is looking out the window is so much nicer because if you look at it it has a story to tell. But there is just that &$^@&@* glare. :D

Probably if i would see it as a blow up in real i wouldn`t mind the glare.

The Monk on the train is by far a better picture, and was exceedingly difficult to take as it needed to be taken secretly and from an angle that gave me no chance of checking while taking it. Still, if you don't like the glare, I can try to shop it out. :blink:

The thing that grabbed you about her paintings was the soul and mysticism that you could see in her subjects face's.

This photo is ideal reference for a painting, yes. His regal, dignified look was what inspired me to take the picture. The solid stance dictated the camera angle, which added the difficulty.

Puggy undoubtable that is an excellent photo and one that neither I nor most of the members whould have a chance in hell of taking, but really I feel (and hey I could be wrong) that if you PS the glare out you would have a prize winnig photo.

Ken

Puggy undoubtable that is an excellent photo and one that neither I nor most of the members whould have a chance in hell of taking, but really I feel (and hey I could be wrong) that if you PS the glare out you would have a prize winnig photo.

Ken

I agree. The pic of the young monk is a fantastic holliday pic as the one with the old monk is a fantastic magazine/ gallery pic. Like i said before it has a story to tell. But don`t go ps on my account although i`m curious how it looks without. Both i haven`t got a chance in hell off taking

what a fantastic report...i always wants to go to Thai and makes me more...but just one doubt...and what about the clubs , partys and beer...show us some pics...and tell us if the beer is good...i have 1 friend that really like the beer...but other 2 that really hate it...