When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

202A Grail Build

Eton

Well,

The 202A really needs no introduction, the Gen is pretty much on everyones grail list...but it's one of those pieces that turned my passion into a full fledged seductive obsession! After seeing so many amazing builds, I was hooked and like every PAM addicted member, started doing research on the Gen! Then, like most of us, it turns into a hunt for the most accurate parts to create your own Pre-V masterpiece. I'm a tad obsessive compulsive, but I had to stay within my means and these builds aren't cheap....all that matters is that it puts a smile on my face :D

On a special note, my Father doesn't wear watches...but when he saw this piece, he was like a kid on Christmas morning! After seeing his reaction, I thought what better gift for a Father who has everything...so, I offered to build him one, that was a moment to remember, I'll never forget his smile...he should have one on his wrist for Christmas morning!

The build took well over a year, collecting and meticulously fitting parts prior to being coated. Everything was then sent to The Zigmeister last August and the ultimate wait began! But, after about 9 months in the Zig Spa (Movement took forever to arrive), it was complete and well, here's the result. I've had it for a while now, but wanted to give it a much deserved shoot!

Specs:

- DSN 202A Caseset (Gen Spec PVD Coating)

- ETA 6497-1 (Brand new in sealed package)

- FGD v2.0 Dial (Matte coated and tritium color lume)

- FGD v2.0 Hands with correct ends (Non matching lume)

- LH CG

- Palp Crown

- Jakob Caseback

- Dirk Vero Cuoio Nero Strap with PVD 24mm ‘Dirk’ COINAGE buckle

A massive thank you to The Zigmeister (Rob & Jennifer) for their craftsmanship, professionalism and friendship; to FGD (Simon) for taking the time to create such amazing dials/hands that are integral to the build of the watch and to Jakob who was in the midst of becoming a Father, hope all is well. Of course, where would I be without the forum, the build wouldn't be possible and I've made some great friends along the way, so thanks for the help and guidance!!!

Cheers!

Hope you enjoy the shots...

DSC_6386.jpg

DSC_6301.jpg

DSC_6311.jpg

DSC_6307.jpg

DSC_6285.jpg

DSC_6306.jpg

DSC_6350.jpg

DSC_6392.jpg

DSC_6403.jpg

DSC_6398.jpg

DSC_6408.jpg

DSC_6409.jpg

DSC_6410.jpg

DSC_6411.jpg

DSC_6402.jpg

DSC_6414.jpg

DSC_6383.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, this is magnificent project.I like it a lot :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Only why did you not polish CP? I know this is swiss 6497 but even S6497 will not have flattened polished CP from factory as gen Pam will have. This is so small work to do, comparing with that what is already done.

Wow, this is magnificent project.I like it a lot :Jumpy: :Jumpy: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Only why did you not polish CP? I know this is swiss 6497 but even S6497 will not have flattened polished CP from factory as gen Pam will have. This is so small work to do, comparing with that what is already done.

I'm not as picky as some...but the CP is polished, how much polishing does it need? Either way, I'm not touching it until it needs a service :D

It's a great match with DSN case. Who did the coating?

It might be interesting to make a group buy for CG and PVDing, as lots of us are looking for these...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

The entire watch was re-coated by The Zigmeister including the Case, Palp crown and LH CG!

Yup, there's a demand for PVD'd CG's, got that right!

Wonderful photography, really well done and presented.

For those not in the know, the PVD coating is supplied by me (yes PVD, not DLC) is not only done in the same factory Panerai used, the finish, colour, and prepwork is the same as the gen. NO vintage Pam's were DLC coated - ever.

You can't do any better than getting the real thing, there is no comparison.

My last PVD run is taking place next month, it's the end of an era. Costs have risen close to 50% in the past 12 months due to exchange rates rising and falling...the margin was just enough to cover the costs, but it's just gotten to expensive.

Very impressive.

There are so few Pam photos that really look gen.

This watch is one of those few that just looks not only gen but the reason gens look better than reps and that is the design choices that make them special, in this case the finish of the PVD and the texture of the dial working together to give an amazing look.