When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

iPod Nano 2nd Generation feedback required

TeeJay

I have a project planned (looks like it is finally going to happen) using the 2nd gen Nano, and I wanted to get some first hand feedback on what people thought of the device both good and bad. Love my iPod shuffle, I won't be getting rid of it, it's just that the project specifically needs a 2nd gen, and I wanted to get a heads up on what to expect from one :)

Thanks in advance :drinks:

[Edit to add]

This isn't a case of needing comparison reviews or suggestions of alternates (even if there is a genuinely better product) as my project will only work with a 2nd gen Nano, so I'd just really appreciate any 'no frills', good and the bad feedback on the device :)

It's a little slower (300 Mhz) than the 3GS and 4G processors (600 MHz and 1 Ghz), so Bear than in mind. Otherwise functionally equivalent :)

Awesome, that shouldn't be an issue :) Would you say about the same speed as a 1st gen iPhone?

Ooof, didn't see the Nano, I assumed it was an iPod touch. I have no idea how it would work. The nano apps are not written using Apple's iOS, so it mIght be tough. Speed is not an issue as such, as the Nano and iPhone are completely different beasts

I don't know how you can compare it to an iPhone. It's nothing like it. :)

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP25

Picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ipod_nano.JPG

No comparison intended, just trying to get an idea of the speed based on Subbie's comment about the 3gs and 4 being faster :) I know you're an apple fan, have you had one of the 2nd Gens, or heard any yay or nays about them?

Ooof, didn't see the Nano, I assumed it was an iPod touch. I have no idea how it would work. The nano apps are not written using Apple's iOS, so it mIght be tough. Speed is not an issue as such, as the Nano and iPhone are completely different beasts

An iPod touch would definitely be too big for my project :D I'm planning on having one sewn into a custom-made leather wrist-strap based on this design...

Vortex_manipulator.jpg

:)

No comparison intended, just trying to get an idea of the speed based on Subbie's comment about the 3gs and 4 being faster :) I know you're an apple fan, have you had one of the 2nd Gens, or heard any yay or nays about them?

It's a good enough iPod. Nothing wrong with them, but if you're going to put it in a permanent enclosure, I'd consider replacing the battery first. If it's removable, then don't worry about it just yet. Mrs Pugwash had the 1st gen and it's probably still working, but she uses an 80GB Classic in the car and a tiny latest gen Shuffle for the gym.

Ive got a 3rd really great cant fault it

:victory:

Have to admit, I can't fault my Shuffle, as it's always met my needs, it just wouldn't be the right size for mounting in the wrist-strap :)

I think even my dog is up to a 3rd gen nano. :animal_rooster:

EDIT: Surely you mean the third if it's for a strap. The 2nd gen was quite tall wasn't it?

These're the dimensions for the 2nd gen: 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.26 inches Pretty much the same as the original BBC prop, give or take a few mms :)

It's a good enough iPod. Nothing wrong with them, but if you're going to put it in a permanent enclosure, I'd consider replacing the battery first. If it's removable, then don't worry about it just yet. Mrs Pugwash had the 1st gen and it's probably still working, but she uses an 80GB Classic in the car and a tiny latest gen Shuffle for the gym.

Absolutely, battery replacement is definitely on the 'to do' list, as I thought the same thing :) That's good to hear that the 1st gen is still going strong, I'm sure the 2nd gen will be fine, I just thought I'd solicit a few opinions on it to be aware of any issues online reviews might not mention :)

You've seen this right?

tiktoklunatik-multi-touch-watch-kits-by-scott-wilson.jpg

I have, and must admit, I do like them. But, if I had one of those, I wouldn't want be able to wear reps anymore :lol: I don't mind wearing a watch and a wrist-strap, but couldn't wear two watches :lol:

But I like where you're going with the wrist strap, looks very Dr Who'esque :)

That's precisely what it is, Captain Jack's vortex manipulator :)

captjackvortex.jpg

I figured that the 2nd gen Nano was closest in color and size to the vortex manipulator that it wouldn't look out of place sewn into a replica of the wrist-strap itself :) I've got a leather worker in London lined up to do the project, I'm just waiting on a PPI refund to clear before I can get onto it (and other projects) I've requested that they use a brushed 26mm Pre-V buckle, as I figure that would be suitably beefy to complement the width of it all :)

The thread makes a lot more sense with the Torchwood background :lol:

So I guess like the wrist thing he has, but also practical (as in can play music). Cool.

Glad it's making more sense now :D Movie memorabilia is one of my other interests, and I've always really liked the vortex manipulator. Personally, I would say it's the most well thought out sci-fi prop around, as a leather wrist-strap could blend into almost any time period without looking out of place (other than maybe Edwardian England :lol: ) so it just makes perfect sense that a Time Agent would be thus outfitted :) A 1:1 prop replica would of course, be an awesome acquisition, but would be a bit silly to wear if it didn't actually do anything, so unwearable other than at costume parties or conventions (which I don't attend :lol: ) so I figured having an MP3 player sewn into a near-replica of the wrist-strap itself, would be a happy compromise (especially as the 2nd gen Nano is so similar in size) and something I could wear and actually use on a daily basis, without just looking like a huge fanboy :bangin: Anyone asks "What's that?" I'll be able to say "iPod strap..." and be spared the "Beam me up, Scotty!" jokes :whistling:

[Yeah, my dog is more of a Blake's 7 fan to be honest, not sure he can help after all. :D ]

I've never actually seen Blake's 7, but when I used to work in a video store around 2000, Paul Darrow used to be a regular visitor, and he is such a nice guy, he really is the embodiment of the term 'gentleman' Total Class through and through :)

The Blake's 7 stuff was just kidding around. I saw it at the time, but long time since then.

I'm partial to the steampunk look though.

Ahh, fair enough :lol:

Yeah, it's a pretty cool aesthetic :) I really like the steampunk computer stuff which is available, but sadly, without an entire house/room in the same style, it would look so out of place in a regular room with other stuff around it :D