When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sub Insert

bertieng

Have been working on this for some time, but still can't find out the best solution. I know many experts here have the knowledge on this issue. Can someone shed me some lights on the proper way of vintagizing a black Sub insert?

I tried 100% bleaching liquid, but then the paint just came off completely:(

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Sounds like your bleach is too strong, you need to dilute the bleach with water. Try 50/50 water/bleach. Don't leave it in very long, pull it out every few minutes..rinse it off and dry it and look at it under the light. Keep doing this... checking the progress until you get the result you want.

I usually have the opposite problem, I guess my bleach is too "vintage" :) Bleach seems to get weaker when it's on the shelf in the laundry room for years on end.

I found out (the hard way) that some inserts can't be bleached. The just loose there paint but don't turn lighter in color like those so called ghost inserts.

It is just try and error till you find the right insert. MBW and the PT 1680 are till now the ones that worked for me. Clarks and Joshua's 5513 didn't work at all.

joshuas 5513 bezel worked with bleach. just put it in for about 3 seconds then rinse with water quicly and evenly or the finish will be off.

overdid mine. i wish i masked some areas with waterbased glue first for those hard to reach edges which on a real aged watch wont have any fading.

anyway it came out ok. anyone have an extra bezel?