When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex sea dweller deep sea

alifizan

Hey Alifizan...

Give yourself a couple weeks before buying... you'll appreciate it later. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH. Once you know exactly what you're looking for, and don't have to ask for our opinion.. you'll know you're ready to buy. This forum has all the information necessary for any watch purchase.. I personally would never by from BK.. but that's just me. JKAY, gioarmani and a few other members here are experts on this watch (jkay has probably taken the spot as the official DSSD expert on the forum because he's kept soo up to date with all versions). Do some research, and remember the rule. Crawl, walk, run. Now that you've found us and the hobby, don't rush into a buy, without gaining the knowledge first ;)

At least that's my .02cents

thanks plaifender, really appreciate the valuable advice everyone has given me,i cant beleive how helpful everyone is, theres still some humanity around lol, hope you guys dont mind but before i make the purchase ill run the watch pass you guys for your opinion as to wehter i should make the purchase, im gonna go do some research now

• Like 1

If I buy one of marys sea dwellers, is it a good idea to have it sent away to have additional work done to it and what kind of additional work would be advised to get done, I only ask because someone on this forum bought a bk watch and still had additional work done to it

What kind of work?

Do you mean a movement servicing? Or are you referring to modifications? These decisions are completely up to the buyer. Movement servicing is always recommended for any watch, some people wait a while before servicing.. some people send their watch immediately after receiving it to be serviced (movement disassembly, cleaning, oiling and lubrication of parts)

Yeah that too but what I meant was cosmetic work to the watch, to improve the look of the watch and bring up to the genuine article as much as possible, I've read some people have had work done to the bezel or the actual pearl that sits on the bezel, and something called"ar"which I don't have a clue what it means

Until you know what everything means.. and modifications like that have meaning to you.. I'd advise against any modification. If at this point, you can't tell the difference between a BK Ultimate, a V5, V6, or Ultimate DSSD.. then there's no reason for you to modify anything.

Learn what appeals to you and go from there. There's at least 3 versions of the DSSD that are all excellent.. even though all of them have different flaws. No rep will ever be perfect no matter how much work you put into it. A rep is a rep. If you're wondering whether the DSSD models I've just mentioned will pass the 1 meter eye test.. Yes. they all look nearly perfect from one meter away. If you ask me to get out a jewler's loupe and start showing you microscopic details.. then a rep will just never cut it.

AR= Anti-Reflective coating. (often used on watches and eyeglasses) to reduce glare. For this particular model it is not a popular modification, since rolex does not use AR on their Genuine watches. (Except on their cyclops magnification) But some people here just prefer the look of the watch with AR and don't go for Accuracy to Genuine.

I am not familiar with the lume artists in Europe. Perhaps you could have BK ship your brand new watch directly to Vacuum in Florida for lume work, and then he would ship it to you when it is done. Ask Vaccum if he also re-finishes cases and bracelets. That would take care of your wish list.

As for finishing the bracelet do you think I could just use some brasso metal polish, it worked beautifully on my omega seamaster genuine I had ten years back, it did get rid of the original colour but I was left with a beautiful shiny glinting watch, I notices rolex watches look nice when there like that, just a personal opinion lol, I'm gonna go with what you've suggested jkay, I'll get bk to send it to vacuum, the only thing I'm paranoid about now is I hope I don't get swindled, but I trust you guys, your all a great bunch, now to place the order

We've got some lumers here in EU. VAC is probably the most well known on this forum, but he's also probably the priciest.. and has the longest wait list. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see your watch for a couple months if you have BK send it to VAC.

I still personally, don't think you should be taking anyone's suggestions at this point until you know what is you want.... I'm sorry to sound harsh, but you couldn't tell the difference if BK sent you his modded watch or a V5. You're just not there yet. (no fault of yours. You'll definitely learn). I have Trevor's V5. Thinner hour markers, flat pearl (which i modded myself with acrylic), And a couple of other miniscule things, but to be honest with you, if you get the DSSD, you won't appreciate the mods BK has put into the watch. my .02cents.

Why spend more when you can spend less.. for something that's 1% less accurate than BK's. Starting out with a V5 or newer V6 DSSD is still going to give you a 96-97% visually accurate watch and costs less than BK. I just can't justify BKs price. I paid $225 (I got a discount from trevor) for my DSSD last year. It's great. I refinished the bracelet (using a refinishing pad and refinishing pen), polished the sides (using Cape Cod) and got results that I love.

In the case of Lume.. it's an EXTREMELY personal choice. some guys will say, why spend the money on a lume job if you never look at your watch at night... other people swear by it. It's all up to you to decide. Not us. Jkay has great suggestions and is one of the DSSD nuts on the forum, But I would venture to say I'm not far behind him. I say study and go for what you like. There's tons of threads out there. I even wrote one on Trevor's watch last year.. comparing his V5 to the previous V5. (see it here: )

The information is there for you to find. If you want to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks on a DSSD be my guest, but if I put mine next to yours.. would you know which is which???

I have a BK DSSD and I had Zig relume it. I personally go by the school of getting the best you can as a base. Knowing that there was a better option out there would have bothered me too much.

If there is someone in the EU who can do lume, I would wait till you have the watch to worry about that/see if its worth doing. I had my watch for about a month before I sent it off. The lume on mine was rough and not what I would expect on a new model Rolex, reminded me of the rough lume on vintage watches. But I have to say, it was a customer who came into my office whose gen DSSD was glowing that finally pushed me into sending it off.

I know were your coming from plaifender and I really appreciate it, but I would really like to know your opinion if money was of no object who's is the most gen like, you see my friend I'm kind of stuck between marys and bk sea dwellers, I honestly doing know who to go with, I've examined the picture of both peoples watches and I can see a few minor differences but thats all, I have this fetish about the pearl on the bezel because I've seen a few that wouldn't pass a mile test never mind the one meter test lol, actually let me rephrase myself out of mary and bk who's bezel pearl is closest to gen like, I'm sorry plaifender if I'm persistent lol, I'd just like to know the view of an expert

As for the luming job, I think I'll get the watch first and then look for someone to do it if I'm not happy with it, though if I buy from bk then I'll ask him to send it to vacuum, I'm still kind of confused because theres just so many options from what I've been reading on the posts here

I understand your anxiety. You've been here for a few days, and I can tell by your post content that you want a watch NOW! haha.. Anxiety in this game is never good... after you buy the watch is the worse part. I guess I won't begin to tell you the agonizing feeling when yuo're watch has taken days, weeks, and sometime months to arrive to you. Or even worse.. it gets snagged by customs! ;) Patience is of virtue in this game, and my mere point, is that every single question you've asked, has been discussed thousands of times on this forum in the past. The only thin you have to do is use the trusty search button.

If you want me to really tell you what to do.... Screw the rep, and get a gen. haha.. Or just get the BK and call it a day. Hands down best DSSD out right now. Do it, and be over with it.

The pearl your talking about is quite obvious.. but barely noticeable from a glance away. You also have to realize that once you get the watch in real life.. the flaws that you're used to looking at on your nice big computer monitor, taken in macro mode with great cameras.. .really does change perspective. Granted I can't spot V2 from a mile away.. A v3, a v5 or v6 is defnitely hard to tell the difference in the flesh on someone's wrist. without another watch to compare to.

Plaifender my dear friend I would love to go for the genuine watch, I'm just a poor boy lol, unless everyone on the forum wants to do collection so I can get one lol.

Plaifender I'm gonna go with the bk watch and have him send it to vacuum, and I know an old watch maker who will be able to service it, he's apparently very good, he's old school, only thing is how water proof are bk sea dwellers, would I be able to have a normal shower with it on

PM BK and he'll be able to explain a reasonable waterproofness to expect for the watches he sells. From what I recall, he uses his own design seal and with his dis- & re-assembly you're guaranteed that all the pieces are in place. If there is a fault in its water proofness, it will be in the design of the rep, not some quality control problem on the production line. I can tell you that I have safely showered and swam in the pool with my BK. Thats about the extent I would trust it without having it pressure tested. You can probably either ask BK or Vac to epoxy the HEV closed when they're doing service. Mine isn't as I didn't think much of it at the time but hasn't lead to any problems so far.