When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Blue 'flake..

jmb

Just because...

The other day I made a Blue Snowflake dial so today I "installed" it and tried out my new case-back artwork. I realize by the pics it looks black but you must believe me when I tell you it is very dark blue!

The engraving turned out just about right and is made from a gen sample provided by mcotter.

post-24124-0-69452700-1316478299.jpg

post-24124-0-75262200-1316478317.jpg

post-24124-0-60066900-1316478335.jpg

post-24124-0-20878800-1316478348.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. Although these have came a long way since I started this project they still don't, and never will, stand up to scrutiny under the macro lens. I really do not have plans, or time, to become a dial factory. I have been working on these decals so folks can get some decals from me and make their own dial. All that is needed is an old dial, some fine sandpaper, a can of whatever paint you want the dial color to be, and the decal. Once I get all of the bugs worked out of a few styles I'll post a thread showing which ones are passable. I Have the basic Snowflake pretty much finalized, the 7928, and will print a test batch of 7924 decals tomorrow. I also have a Space Dweller almost finished with a "Red" Space Dweller as a variation.

I have a few dials I could recycle, and might be talked into making one, but you are on your own as far as luming goes as I ain't no lumer!

As far as case backs go they have to be flat. The tracing was taken from mcotter's 1964 Tudor 7908 and his case back is perfectly flat. I have determined that the Cartel 5512 variety of cases has more than enough "meat" to mill flat and engrave. The back on this example is from a cheap vintage rep and barely had enough thickness to get flat. The gen case back is a bit over .050" thick while the Cartel back is around .100" thick so there is plenty to play with. You can look at your back and gauge how much curvature there is and if you have access to a micrometer you can see if you have enough thickness to mill it flat.

I bet the gen fora would wet themselves to hear we are making our own dials here.

I doubt they need to worry as there is no three dimensional aspect to the lettering and the "lens" don't play favorites! But, if somebody was a true artist I suppose they could trace over the decal lettering with paint

You bet, M. Rev 1 of the case back engraving came from the back on the Jumbo case I got from you and I think it scaled a little "fat"! If nothing else, this is correctly proportioned for the Sub.

Hmmm, Ok, no one dares to say it, I take dibs if anything comes UP. I definitely need to have the case back done, exchanged, milled, modd'ed for this 7928 project. The snowflake dial, well, that will be nice for another project daily wearer. Got some nice hands to use on an old 2824 movement, just need a decent dial to put it all together now.

E

• 3 weeks later...