When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona Owners...

Devedander

I am looking to get a Daytona... I know there just isn't a way to get a very accurate one but I still would like to add one to the collection...

But with choices like seconds at 6 or 9, newer 7750 or 28800 (are there daytonas with this?) I was wondering which way you went and why since pretty much any choice has to be a compromise...

I would like to hear your reasoning as to which way to go... at the moment I am leaning towards a seconds at 9 so the 7750 has a better chance of holding up for a while.

Despite it being a pretty obvious tell, this watch is full of em so there is no way to get around being obviously fake and the seconds at 9 models seem to make it cheap enough that it's an oh well sort of thing... I am currently thinking about this one http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1369 from silix and possibly even leaving the chrono running all the time so as not to draw to much attention to the only thing moving being at 9. I am awaiting an answer from selix however I am afraid that the end links are not solid gold and will suffer the SS visible from the side problem.

Other option I was looking at http://www.wo-mart.com/product_info.php?cP...roducts_id=1133 from Paul. Better subdials and solid endlinks (wish it was MOP)... but that brings me back to a stressed 7750...

That's the best logic that I can get right now, but different points of view are always a good thing.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by Devedander

Hehe, thanks for the reply... but that is not really an option I have at hand right now (however believe me the thought has crossed my mind that in a year or so I may be ready to attempt such a thing). And I KNOW you aren't looking to sell your frankentona at anywhere near the price range I can afford... I bet your crystal costs more than I have to spend right now :)

I have considered the vintage route as I believe that legitimately puts the running secs at 9... however I haven't found one I like the look of...

Edited by Devedander

Hehe, thanks for the reply... but that is not really an option I have at hand right now (however believe me the thought has crossed my mind that in a year or so I may be ready to attempt such a thing). And I KNOW you aren't looking to sell your frankentona at anywhere near the price range I can afford... I bet your crystal costs more than I have to spend right now :)

I have considered the vintage route as I believe that legitimately puts the running secs at 9... however I haven't found one I like the look of...

I used to want one, but I can't find a rep that satisfies me, and Ubiquitous is not about to give me one his! So instead I went for great chronos by IWC, Omega, Panerai, RXW, Zenith, Breitling etc

Chose ONE? I couldn't so I have a few:

Black SS modified asia 7750 sec @6

TT white modified asia 7750 sec @6

TT black modified asia 7750 sec @6

6263 DW black (on the way)

SS Meteorite modified asia 7750 sec @6 (on the way)

I don't mind the asia 7750 movement. I have quite a few and have only had problems with one, plush it is the most accurate for the late model daytona. I figure if I spend $250 on a watch and it breaks, I get another. I just buy what I like and don't worry about the movement issues. I think $600 + is too much to spend on a fake watch with a swiss movement. However, I would gladly pony up at least $600 for that ubi-tona...................

That's interesting to hear... how long have you had your daytonas that they are still working?

From reading what The Zigmeister says the 7750 sounds like a total time bomb, but then again to hear me talk about almost any computer part would make you want to get an abacus... yet in real life laymans terms most of the parts I have an "issue" with are perfectly fine for 90% of the people 90% of the time.

I really have my heart set on a TT MOP with Roman numerals... still looking I guess...

If you have your heart set on one of these models, then I think you should get it. However, if you do decide to pick one up, just set your expectations accordingly. It may last... But then again, it may not. When you're dealing with a movement that has been re-engineered to perform in a manner that it was never meant to function as, you run a certain amount of risk...

I understand the inherant risk in all it's logical ugliness, but there is still that part of me that just denies it until I actually have it in my hands (you know, the side that says your x gf still wants to get back together no matter how much you hear it's not true until you see her wedding photos?).

Up until recently I have not known much about watches other than:

Rolexes are fancy

I can't afford any fancy watches

And in my mind Rolex = Daytona. Any othe rolex I wouldn't have recognized or thought twice about. So I guess you can say that getting a Daytona (as stupid as it may be logically due to inacuracies) is simply fullfilling a sophmoric desire that I just need to get out of the way.

I ordered the noobmariner because it's a good rep, the movement isn't being pushed hard in it and I think it's a nice daily watch.

I am in on the IWC group buy because it's a solid discount and the watch looks like a very solid, attractive professional watch.

I want the Daytona for my long time desire to have the MOP Gold (originally I liked full gold but I really don't know about that in a plated rep) and if it breaks on me or craps out it will be painful for sure but it will hit two birds with one stone:

Get rid of my need to have a mop daytona and teach me that sometimes you have to have your head say no even if you really want it...

Sticking my hand in the fire as it were, just to know what it is to get burned :)

Edited by Devedander

I want the Daytona for my long time desire to have the MOP Gold (originally I liked full gold but I really don't know about that in a plated rep) and if it breaks on me or craps out it will be painful for sure but it will hit two birds with one stone:

Get rid of my need to have a mop daytona and teach me that sometimes you have to have your head say no even if you really want it...

Well, Devedander, the plus of being able to find these quality reps is you fullfill that perceived desire for a certain model cheaply, regardless if your head is saying no. After you have the MOP Gold on you may find that it really isn't for you or that you become convinced it was the watch to end all watches. (Then you're stuck waiting for a better rep. to come along! :lol: ) I'm not a Rolex fan, but like you, the Daytona is one model that has always beckoned my interest. I finally purchased a rep. of the one that I've admired after trying it on at the AD a few times, the meteorite dial version of the new running at 6 models. I now know a Daytona, any version, ain't for me after wearing it for awhile, they just don't float my boat. Its a great way to find out your tastes. There is such a big perception difference between a picture, a short try-on and a month on the wrist. Although costly for some, the rep. is less of a wallet breaker for after-purchase remorse.

I like the meteorite dial but I don't like the red hands and I am not sure about the rep meteorite dials... I am afraid they would just be gray or not right.

I like gold and mop... always have felt it was classy.

I am not really thinking the Daytona will be my end all of watches... I honestly don't think I can wear a watch often that doesn't have a date feature (I am wearing my $20 chinese Daytona now and I really do like the day of week and day of month dials...). That's why my heart is set on gold mop, it's going to be my dressup watch. Christmas party, wedding etc... where you want to look a little extra (where many people would bust out the solid gold with diamonds).

I am now reconsidering the seconds at 9 vs seconds at 6... one side of me wants to buy the newest model (dug) but the other side says that since they did make a daytona seconds at 9 it's still somewhat accurate to have it there and it's cheaper and likely going to last longer... in all honesty, knowing myself and the grass is greener part of me I see myself getting the seconds at 9 right now, then in the next year (or sooner if it really eats me) getting a seconds at 6 of a slightly different style to cover my bases...

Maybe even hope that something comes along that makes it possible to do sec at 6 with good subdial spacing and not prone to breakage...

Gah... money like water...

@Star I have pretty much chosen to not go with the swiss if I do seconds at 6 since it will probably be stressed all to hell and break anyway, but I would appreciate some comments as to what made you go that way all the same!

Edited by Devedander

Devedander

Paul a WoMart has a pre 2000 daytona, his # W-1302, listed with his daytonas. I know it is not the watch that you are looking for, wrong color dial and not tt, but it does show the proper face for a pre 2000 daytona, the thin markers, it is Swiss and has the running seconds at 9:00 as a pre 2000 should.

I'm not saying that the watch is perfect, but aside from the wrong subdial spacing, it is much closer than anything else I know of besides the El Primero Daytonas, which are in the $2000.00 and up range and the DW daytonas.

Devedander

Paul a WoMart has a pre 2000 daytona, his # W-1302, listed with his daytonas. I know it is not the watch that you are looking for, wrong color dial and not tt, but it does show the proper face for a pre 2000 daytona, the thin markers, it is Swiss and has the running seconds at 9:00 as a pre 2000 should.

I'm not saying that the watch is perfect, but aside from the wrong subdial spacing, it is much closer than anything else I know of besides the El Primero Daytonas, which are in the $2000.00 and up range and the DW daytonas.

Thanks for the pointer, any input is appreciated.

The price is just a bit too high for me (I know it's better quality), maybe if I decide I really like the Daytona I will splurge on a really nice swiss movement and have it serviced and waterproofed, but as it is, the Daytona will probably only get occasional wear and as I said it's more to satisfy that annoying voice that wants a Daytona than anything else, so just like any othe time I am trying to appease an illogical desire I am trying to go cheap and get the job done :)

A change in the IWC group buy may be making my decision for me to go with a silix watch...

I went with building my own using a genuine 16520 case and an El Primero 400. This was the only way I could achieve accurate with reliable.

142686-16525.jpg

142686-16526.jpg

142686-16527.jpg

142686-16528.jpg

142686-16529.jpg

142686-16530.jpg

A 2nd El Primero Daytona is currently in progress...

On a similar note, I have a vintage that was built as well using a Swiss Valjoux 23 in a DW case...

142686-16531.jpg

142686-16532.jpg

Ubi,

This is by far my favorite franken , you did a great job and lucky you found a gen case..

Do you have any comments on MBW's E Primero case kit.?

I have a EP410 based watch....will this cal work?

Edited by reelamore

Hmmmm... EP410...

That movement has the full calendar + moonphase if I recall correct.

I believe that the movement would work if the extra complications were removed. I would assume that these functions are modules since it's based on the EP400; however, it would seem a shame to sacrifice a great Zenith watch for the movement.

Hmmmm... EP410...

That movement has the full calendar + moonphase if I recall correct.

I believe that the movement would work if the extra complications were removed. I would assume that these functions are modules since it's based on the EP400; however, it would seem a shame to sacrifice a great Zenith watch for the movement.

Ubi,

This is indeed a gut wrenching hobby which puts at odds our since for preservation of good Gen examples

against our desire for a great rep. This is a Concord that has a great look and stands alone for a work of art.

Not on the Zenith level but nevertheless a gem.

But , how do you find a El Primero without it being in a decent watch?

I LOVE YOUR WATCH..WANT TO SELL? :D