When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dazzling array of Breitlings and Tags ... At Costco UK !?!?!?!?!?

ninjagaiden

So I was in a UK Costco today, and happened to wander past the jewellery and watches display to be amazed by the amount of watch bling on display. They had an SMP, A Breitling Galactic, BCE, and three fairly high end Tags all out on display.

The Breitling Galactic was marked up as reduced because it had no papers, and all of the Breitlings came in very plain Jane leather cases.

Do you think they were all Gens?

So I was in a UK Costco today, and happened to wander past the jewellery and watches display to be amazed by the amount of watch bling on display. They had an SMP, A Breitling Galactic, BCE, and three fairly high end Tags all out on display.

The Breitling Galactic was marked up as reduced because it had no papers, and all of the Breitlings came in very plain Jane leather cases.

Do you think they were all Gens?

No. All fake.

I have it from reliable sources that Sead and Trevor have made a joint venture to enter into the UK High Streets starting with Costco.

Oh man! Not sure how I feel about all of this.

On the one hand, who in their right mind is going to go decide they are dropping 2500GBP on a watch and then buy it from Costco. They aren't going to offer any aftersales care are they? I doubt anyone in store could even resize a high end Tag link bracelet.

On the other hand, Costco have been around for years and have a reputation for keen pricing and low margins on their sales. Their Buyers must think they are selling Gen items, and paying a reasonable amount for them.

Who are Sead & Trevor?

On the one hand, who in their right mind is going to go decide they are dropping 2500GBP on a watch and then buy it from Costco. They aren't going to offer any aftersales care are they? I doubt anyone in store could even resize a high end Tag link bracelet.

On the other hand, Costco have been around for years and have a reputation for keen pricing and low margins on their sales. Their Buyers must think they are selling Gen items, and paying a reasonable amount for them.

"Who are Sead & Trevor?"

"Who are Sead & Trevor?"

They are dealers...Sead1999 and Trevor Time.

;Mike

Who are Sead & Trevor?

Are you kidding! You can wear the watch for ten years and return it to Costco for a full refund...j/k nt sure what the return policy is on jewelry, but people did this with TV's before they changed their policy. Most other stuff at Costco could be returned after any amount of time has passed.

Yes we have quite a few Costco's in UK - How else are we going to fill our little chocolate box gardens with the most humungous garden furniture and patio heaters you ever did see?

I once used my Costco card in California and the till said "Costco welcomes overseas member" How cool was that!

Anyhow, the policy for refunds in the U.K. is restricted to 90 days. After that they will replace the item *if* they still have it in stock, but they don't keep long terms stocks of the same line. They tend to get a batch of something in, and then once it is sold out, they get a batch of some other similar item. I don't know what would happen if you rolled up with a defective Breitling, which they not longer carried in stock. Likely they'd offer you a choice from the other watches they carry in stock.

Also as far as grey market swiss watches, I though the maximum discount anyone can give is 20%...

Didnt even know there was CostCo's in the UK !!

Whats there source? Grey Market? Does anyone know?

Yep, grey market. Omega actually sued Costco over this (and won... surprising to see them in this pic). I agree with one of the above posters about how this could be misleading for the buyer. Costco is known for steep discounts, but the watches I've seen at my local store are not any cheaper than can readily be found elsewhere.

My local Costco near Boston carries Breitlings and Tags. About the refunds, what they typically do when you exchange something is refund you in cash, then you rebuy it. If they don't have it you walk out happy with cash. I did it once on a 2 year old flat screen before they changed the policy on electronics

I haven't purchased a watch from Costco, but have seen Breitlings, Tags, Cartier, Ferrari, and a few other high-end brands -- over the years, mind you, not all at the same time.

I am fairly certain these watches are grey market, as verified in the Omega case. But my understanding was (not sure where I heard or read this) that Costco would extend their regular warranty terms and arrange for service if needed to duplicate the terms of the original manufacturer. If this is true, then you would have to balance the value of the OEM warranty and papers vs. the Costco warranty and the potential cost savings.