When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Samsung Galaxy S II

HauteHippie

Depends.

Although it just appeared in US, it's an oldie (but still a goodie). There will be a few new Samsung phones soon (new Galaxy with HD screen; new Nexus; new 5.3 inch Samsung etc.). It's quite hard to stay updated, they release new phones all the time. Right now, everybody in the Android camp is waiting for new nexus.

I still prefer iPhone, but if I wanted buy Android, it would probably be SGS II (or Nexus soon to be announced, or 4.5" HD version to be released soon, or 5.3" if I'm crazy). Love the resolution on size of the screen on iPhone tough...

BTW - as far as I remember - every carrier in USA got a little different version of SGS II (one with faster CPU, one with .5" bigger screen...) so when I'm thinking about EU version (there is one), you have several on your plate in the USA.

Nevertheless - probably best android phone at the moment (although new HTC are nice too).

Check engadget.com.

I'm not going the iPhone route, but I'd considered waiting for ice cream sandwich too. But the release schedules here in the US have lagged. Folks I know in India have had the SGS2 for months already. Who knows when we'll get the Ice Cream Nexus here. Plus if you sit around waiting forever, you'll never get anything. :lol: This SGS2 has what I think I want. At this point I don't even know if there's any reason to prefer Ice Cream Sandwich over Gingerbread anyhow.

I have had the SG2 for 6 months now - crap battery life if you use it constantly. I use an application called "Juice Defender" which is superb for extending the battery by switching off the Bluetooth, GPS, 3G and Wireless when it is idle. The extended batteries make it thicker, which defeats the object...

Switched from an iPhone, btw.

Nothing to think about, Chief. Just go ahead an buy it. Hands down the best phone I've ever had.

Played around with a mate's SGS2 for a couple of days when he got it (he despises my iPhone, so his apparent generosity is actually a dig to make me change to Android :op). It's a rocket with a gorgeous AMOLED display. Bear in mind that it's rather large, but incredibly thin. The iPhone is much sturdier, I feared that having the SGS2 in a back pocket and sitting on it would end badly, the Samsung is all plastic.

Nothing to think about, Chief. Just go ahead an buy it. Hands down the best phone I've ever had.

+1 Just got the Tmobile version! Loving it so far......pretty fast. I use it mainly to trade stocks and the TD Ameritrade APP is just phenomenal!

VOIP/SIP apps are excellent, too. The camera is the best on a Cell Phone!

All Android Apps I use to run on my mYTouch 4g are now about 30% faster......load times and all!

The 4.53" screen is an added bonus......Super AMOLED.....is just.........SUPER!

In this caliber of Smartphone, you should also consider the HTC Sensation 4G. Out of the box, the dual-core processor is under-clocked. It can be over-clocked to 1.5 GHz without much effort.

I'm the wireless industry and get to play around with these things all time. I've had a week with the Sprint version and like the performance, but prefer the HTC Sense interface over Samsung's TouchWiz. What's holding me back on the SG2S is the 480x800 resolution. Rumor has it that SG3S is around the corner with a much better screen. Don't get me wrong, the SG2S screen looks good, but a phone with a 4.5" screen should have more pixels.

Here is side-by-side comparison over at PhoneArena.com...

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Epic-4G-Touch,HTC-Sensation-4G/phones/5537,5188

Wait for the new Google Nexus prime.....

I think this will be my next phone ... assuming the bootloaders are not locked of course.

I am still cruising along with my Samsung Captivate (AT&T's original Galaxy S variant). Have been running custom ROMs on it since the day I bought it. That's one of the great things about Samsung phones, they don't lock things down so you can update ROMs, modems and kernels easily.