When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen or a good rep? Experts chime in :)

umarion

Hey folks,

I've just acquired a gen (according to the seller) sub dial on fleabay for quite cheap. But just to be sure, I would like to kindly ask that the experts chime in on this. My knowledge of a gen dial is merely limited to flat top A's letterings on the dial and superluminova lume. So far with my observations, the lume is a superluminova color although lacks a tad bit intensity from my wm9 v3 dial which is amazing. I can't seem to investigate the dial further without a loupe, though with naked eyes I noticed that all the markers are slightly smaller than my wm9 v3.

a798e89d.jpg

ed0dd1ef.jpg

0ed7a695.jpg

Sorry I don't have a better camera than my iphone4 for now. And experts, please help me with this. Thanks in advance!

I am better with vintage, but this does not even look like a good rep, which explains why you got it 'for quite cheap'.

With so many serious collectors literally scouring ebay (& most other online sites that cater to vintage Rolex), it is highly unlikely that a good quality, gen Rolex piece would go for cheap. That just does not happen anymore.

Seller opened bid at 100 with 200 buy it now. I got it for $100 + 20 shipping. I'm glad ebay has the buyer protection thing. Shame on me for not knowing enough on what to look for plus the pics were quite unclear and vague :(

But before anything, I would like to ask the experts and veterans to school me on the dial so I won't make the same mistakes again.

Edited by umarion

Here's a gen to compare with- from 2007

KGrHqQOKj4E6dUbyjBOoNgJpDFQ60_31.jpg

I agree with highoey that your 'L' in Rolex is a tad too far to the left.

But the problem with Rolex is things are always changing.

I looked thru ebay and found another far left dial,

IMG_42661.jpg

LOL, this one is five ticks on the Swiss Made, whereas yours is three- but we all know that doesn't matter.

yours seems to be missing the makers mark

and the alignment of the 'L' in rolex looks too far left under the 12 o clock coronet

That's how I knew that I've made a mistake. :( I only emailed the seller asking in regards to it's authenticity and if it had flat A's lettering throughout the dial...

It does have a nicer date window than most rep dials and nice crisp printing. Not a total loss.

I don't know about the date window, but the printing is definitely crisp. Too bad that it's not a gen like what I hoped it would be :(

It has quite good lume on it, same color as the wm9 dial but with less intensity. On a curious note, which rep watch did this dial came with? :g:

I almost totally agree with the Sean dial comment, but my Sean dial has better markers. The printing is similar, but as the OP stated, it is very crisp printing. Funny thing is my sean dial is not superlumed, it's only as good as my noob.

Let us know what you do with it, and make sure to post pics if you decided to keep it.

UPDATE: I have returned the dial to the seller today. He's been quite good with replying back and forth, so I'm sure it will be a hassle free return. I always have the buyer protection thing as a safety net. But all in all a lesson learned :bangin:

Thanks everyone for helping out in pointing the flaws.

I almost totally agree with the Sean dial comment, but my Sean dial has better markers. The printing is similar, but as the OP stated, it is very crisp printing. Funny thing is my sean dial is not superlumed, it's only as good as my noob.

Let us know what you do with it, and make sure to post pics if you decided to keep it.

My original plan is to swap a gen dial in my wm9 v3. Only a gen dial is worthy to replace the wm9 IMO. Alas, I have a gen crystal waiting to be installed, so that cancels out my dial frustrations :)