When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Clarks T19 Fitment

nullidentitat

Hey guys, so after lurking here for a while I've procured my first real rep, a Cartel 5512 from Josh. I'm just beginning to work on it, using JMB's "Quick and Easy Cartel 5512 Fixup" thread as a starting point. I've gotten ahold of a few Clarks T19's, as well as gaskets for under the retaining ring. The OD of the Clarks crystal seems to be a little larger than the rep crystal that the 5512 came with; so much so that I cracked one of the Clarks while I was trying to press the retaining ring on.

So: is it a better idea to reduce the OD of the crystal? Or to try and open up the ID of the retaining ring a bit? Or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

I always shave the outside of the crystal till it fits. I don't like the idea of making the retaining ring thinner. I have never noticed any difference with the overall look and effect of the crystal. Just shave a very small part of 1.5mm (the thickness of the retaining ring) and take only a tenth of a mm off.

I've heard success stories of freezing the mid case, popping the crystal on and then the retaining ring after said ring has been warmed.

Physics apparently! The Other option is to shave/file the outer part of the crystal but this can affect the overall look and effect of the crystal.

there are actually two sizes I'm afraid 305mm and 303mm - I got both from Cousins uk and the 303mm fitted perfectly on the Josh case. I then got a gen but it was a bit tighter but not much:

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/494/1957.aspx

One thing to add, the Ofrei t-19s are closer to gen in diameter than the Clarks.The fit is better and with snap, no need to trim the crystal, however, the dome is not the same. The Ofrei ones tend to be more like the service crystal with almost no dome. SK is tops.

E

After some judicious sandpapering, I was finally able to fit the Clark's. That thing is snug. So much so, in fact, that I have a feeling it won't be coming out in one piece if I ever need to remove it. (Looks like I have a good excuse to put in an Ofrei order.)

As much of a PITA as fitting it was, I'm definitely much happier with the Clark's over the OEM rep with which this thing shipped. The rehaut is actually visible now, and the overall height is much more manageable.

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi guys would this be the crystal I would need for a 5513 build, more than likely going to use joshes 5513 case if I can't get hold of a Mbw case.

http://www.ebay.co.u...48#ht_768wt_922

Any advise would be great

Regards

Ryan

Yes, for both cases (Josh and MBW). But read the above, most of the time a little trimming of either the crystal or retaining ring is needed.