When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to handle telemarketers

maxman

I heard this a few years back and have been playing it to friends ever since.... I can listen to it over and over again...

I love the bit... where are you?.....

I took the afternoon off work and came home to do some other work on my laptop, sure enough I got a call from one of these guys offering me holiday vouchers, 10 nights for $200 or something like that. He went on and on, however with the laptop in front of me, I was able to Google the company name as he was talking, and found some negative reviews. As he spoke, I would randomly intersperse all these questions about specific conditions, knowing others had had negative experiences, and the guy kept stuttering and not sure how to reply.

Finally,after about 10 minutes, I told him I wasn't interested. This is what he said, "if you weren't interested, why did you make me waste 10 minutes of my time explaining it to you?", to which I replied, "as I recall, it was you who called me...douchebag". I must have been the first person in living history that had a telemarketer hang up on them... :)

I took the afternoon off work and came home to do some other work on my laptop, sure enough I got a call from one of these guys offering me holiday vouchers, 10 nights for $200 or something like that. He went on and on, however with the laptop in front of me, I was able to Google the company name as he was talking, and found some negative reviews. As he spoke, I would randomly intersperse all these questions about specific conditions, knowing others had had negative experiences, and the guy kept stuttering and not sure how to reply.

Finally,after about 10 minutes, I told him I wasn't interested. This is what he said, "if you weren't interested, why did you make me waste 10 minutes of my time explaining it to you?", to which I replied, "as I recall, it was you who called me...douchebag". I must have been the first person in living history that had a telemarketer hang up on them... :)

Nice one subbie...I bet that company never calls you again.....not the same guy anyway.. :tu:

Mike

Max, the problem is they have your number and can do really nasty things like call you at all hours, that's why I'm always reasonably courteous and polite.

Having said that, this guy was genuinely hurt that I wasted his time, so I figured the poor bastard gets paid on commission. He only got called 'douchebag', it's my new thing... :)

Most of the time these guys dont call you....

My understanding is its a computer that rings numbers randomly or to order and if the reciever is picked up its transferred to a telemarketer....

I love the irony with the guy that rang Subbie and then said you wasted his time... priceless...

I remember on a tangent my mother in law accepting a telephone invitation to a timeshare presentation.... she was an older lady very polite and didnt like to say no... anyway when the rest of the family found out she was told to cancel it or one of them would cancel on her behalf... she wouldnt do this as she had been promised a diamond necklace for just attending... of course we explained what she would actually get but she was insistant and wouldnt believe this nice man had lied to her or misled her..

So my sister in law, (who my mother in law thought was a most intelligent woman only because she had been married to a teacher who she had met while at school!!,) offered to take her to make sure she didnt do anything foolish or spend any money on a timeshare etc etc

That night they all returned.... my mother in law was happy as she had a necklace.... (albeit a cheap CZ piece of crap) though my Sister in law had taken out a second mortgage loan and bought a time share...

She had it 8 years was never allowed or able to use when she had holidays or time off... (she had bought the off season package)...plus the cheap flights etc that they offered in the package were from Timbucktoo at silly oclock and subject to additional taxes and admin fees. She eventually sold it back to the company after paying yearly costs and it cost her as the timeshare had no value and they charged her admin fees for the sale!!

So it only takes one mug and these companies make some serious dosh...