When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

help for buy omega planet ocean!

Guest tolis

Its amazing how much the price difference is for the Swiss ETA. I'm thinking I'll go with the 4813 for $140

Well, funny thing is that I had to send the watch back as soon as I got it because the crown/stem wasn't engaging the movement correctly. So maybe I should have gone with the cheaper version myself!

Hmm, I do plan on wearing frequency. All of this indecision is frustrating. I just can't trust the durability.

My first rep purchase 4 months ago was a speedmaster, I still haven't been able to wear it more than a day. I kept having QC issues and after sending it back once, getting a defective one again, I finally payed to have it repaired. Must have spent 50-60 bucks on top of the cost already and haven't even worn it.

Hi brokenblinker, yes the crown stripping issue is a concern with the PO's, but it is probably overstated, just make sure you ask for a good one with good screw down action and it should be fine, at least if you went with the swiss or the eta clone then if worst came to worst(which it probably won't) then you would have the option of gen crown. Also you may want to franken in future with it...for the little extra expense, it's probably worth it. I don't believe you necessarily need the swiss, just extra expense, the clone is fine. If cash is really an issue and you really can only afford the cheaper version, go with the dg4183 then you could always sell it if you want eta option in future, It's a good option with little outlay for a great rep out of the box.

Edited by cougar1

Come on guys, I think we can get this thread to over 300 posts!

Anyway, I just talked to Andrew about my PO I sent back. He said he was sending me a new piece. I'm really looking forward to getting it back.

Here's a question for you guys: I got the 42mm but now I'm starting to think I should have gotten the 45mm. I have a 7.0" wrist, do you think 42mm is better suited for that size wrist?

It's a tough call, I've a 7ish " wrist and I prefer the 42mm, but that's just a personal preference, I like watches under 43mm or 44mm max.

With a 7" wrist you get away fine with either the 42mm or 45mm PO so think yourself lucky with the choice :) Anything lower than 7" def 42mm only.

Do you like bigger watch sizes? Personally I thought the PAM looked great on you sizewise so you'd have no trouble with the 45mm PO.

I realise that doesn't help at all :)

btw nice one from Andrew, I'm sure this one will be fine.

• Like 1

It's a tough call, I've a 7ish " wrist and I prefer the 42mm, but that's just a personal preference, I like watches under 43mm or 44mm max.

With a 7" wrist you get away fine with either the 42mm or 45mm PO so think yourself lucky with the choice :) Anything lower than 7" def 42mm only.

Do you like bigger watch sizes? Personally I thought the PAM looked great on you sizewise so you'd have no trouble with the 45mm PO.

I realise that doesn't help at all :)

btw nice one from Andrew, I'm sure this one will be fine.

Yea, I guess I do like bigger watches, but not too big. I had the 42mm PO for about an hour and I thought it looked good. I know it's too late now for this one, but I've been considering getting a 45mm with a black bezel (I think this means I have the addiction!)

I'm planning on installing the gen crown and tube almost as soon as I get this, so i will be picking everyone's brains soon. I've heard it's easy, but I want to make sure I'm prepared to do it right.

I ordered that Rodico you suggested btw, thanks for the advice!

Yea, I guess I do like bigger watches, but not too big. I had the 42mm PO for about an hour and I thought it looked good. I know it's too late now for this one, but I've been considering getting a 45mm with a black bezel (I think this means I have the addiction!)

I'm planning on installing the gen crown and tube almost as soon as I get this, so i will be picking everyone's brains soon. I've heard it's easy, but I want to make sure I'm prepared to do it right.

I ordered that Rodico you suggested btw, thanks for the advice!

I'm not the only one with small wrists then, although my 6,5" are smaller than yours. I'm 6 feet (184cm) so I think it's a bit thin - not to mention a bit unfair considering my father's wrists are twice as thick as mine. Either way I think I'm a bit limited when it comes to watches. The larger ones look ridiculous on my wrist. I once owned a gen Speedmaster reduced that looked fine on my wrist. Kinda regret selling it - I haven't seen any resonably priced in some time and the size was just right.

So you are going to do the mod yourself? I've been thinking about it, but haven't decided yet. It's kind of fun with that sort of stuff, but I figure the tools alone costs way more than sending it away to someone experienced to do it for you, no?

I'm not the only one with small wrists then, although my 6,5" are smaller than yours. I'm 6 feet (184cm) so I think it's a bit thin - not to mention a bit unfair considering my father's wrists are twice as thick as mine. Either way I think I'm a bit limited when it comes to watches. The larger ones look ridiculous on my wrist. I once owned a gen Speedmaster reduced that looked fine on my wrist. Kinda regret selling it - I haven't seen any resonably priced in some time and the size was just right.

So you are going to do the mod yourself? I've been thinking about it, but haven't decided yet. It's kind of fun with that sort of stuff, but I figure the tools alone costs way more than sending it away to someone experienced to do it for you, no?

Oh, I'm not sure about that. I'll need to find out what the job entails and then make that decision. I wouldn't mind buying a few tools to do it myself if it's not too expensive. I've heard several people talk about switching the crowns out like its easy, but I've got no idea.

There are guides all over the place for the modds, I would say the crown job isn't difficult but it can be awkward if you are not familiar with decasing a watch and getting hands on. Saying that, plenty of people who never even removed the caseback before have managed the crown job so a bit of patience and a good guide will help.

Trying to decide between PO 42 and the DSSD. I like both of the designs.

On one hand PO seems like an inferior rep, with its tube and perl issues, while DSSD is a much better made, with almost no visual or functional imperfections.

On the other hand DSSD is a Rolex - brand that I don't really like due to its high profile. Wearing it will definitely attract attention and questions and I would simply hate that. I want to wear my watch freely, under the radar, so to speak. Plus DSSD wears a bit higher on the wrist. I, too, have a 7'' wrist, so the DSSD will be very noticable - no way of wearing it under the sleeve. Can't get them both because I'm buying PAM288k to fill the chrono spot in my collection.

Damn it I wish I hadn't read vandal's review of DSSD. :)

I think I'm going to make 8 more posts myself just to get this over 300...

Anyone else watching the Super Bowl and posting in RWG right now?

You're determined :) Did you have a few drinks during the game? Not sure if it was the right result, we're kinda neutral on this side of the pond but bit of an upset, was a good tight game by all accounts.

Trying to decide between PO 42 and the DSSD. I like both of the designs.

On one hand PO seems like an inferior rep, with its tube and perl issues, while DSSD is a much better made, with almost no visual or functional imperfections.

On the other hand DSSD is a Rolex - brand that I don't really like due to its high profile. Wearing it will definitely attract attention and questions and I would simply hate that. I want to wear my watch freely, under the radar, so to speak. Plus DSSD wears a bit higher on the wrist. I, too, have a 7'' wrist, so the DSSD will be very noticable - no way of wearing it under the sleeve. Can't get them both because I'm buying PAM288k to fill the chrono spot in my collection.

Damn it I wish I hadn't read vandal's review of DSSD. :)

Hard to choose, it's funny how taste goes, since I read vandals review of the Pam 177 I want one, looks lovely, and understated... but as far as the dssd goes...could never stand them, way too in your face and for me they epitomise everything that's wrong these days about rolex...no doubt a great rep, better than the PO, that's a fact, ...

but I read ByTors comments on the dssd a few days ago and it sums it up lovely....

... and replacing the classic Dweller with that ugly thing DSSD was a blasphemy. That's an ugly big thing... built-in radio is the only thing missing from that monster.
hehe :) No offense to anyone intended, I'm a wear what you like kinda person.

The Pam288 is a great rep but it's a big one, huge case on it, still humming and hawing over that one aswell.

Yes. Yesssss.

Nice one, let us know what you think when you receive.

You're determined :) Did you have a few drinks during the game? Not sure if it was the right result, we're kinda neutral on this side of the pond but bit of an upset, was a good tight game by all accounts.

Yes, many drinks were had! I didn't really care who won, but it was an exciting finish. Now I just need to shake this headache!

• Like 1

Trying to decide between PO 42 and the DSSD. I like both of the designs. On one hand PO seems like an inferior rep, with its tube and perl issues, while DSSD is a much better made, with almost no visual or functional imperfections. On the other hand DSSD is a Rolex - brand that I don't really like due to its high profile. Wearing it will definitely attract attention and questions and I would simply hate that. I want to wear my watch freely, under the radar, so to speak. Plus DSSD wears a bit higher on the wrist. I, too, have a 7'' wrist, so the DSSD will be very noticable - no way of wearing it under the sleeve. Can't get them both because I'm buying PAM288k to fill the chrono spot in my collection. Damn it I wish I hadn't read vandal's review of DSSD. :)

My PO is on it's way right now. I'll write another review of that one when it gets here if you want to compare. I'm sure you've seen Wetwork's fantastic review on the PO as well. The pearl on my QC pics looked pretty spot-on. I'm hoping that the crown works smoothly, but I'll have to wait til I get it to report back.

But I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the opinions on the DSSD. I don't know if I'm missing something, but I don't see it as that in-your-face. To me, it's very similar to the sub but without the cyclops date window, which I think gives it a simpler looking face. I've been wearing it around quite a bit and I haven't had one single person even notice it yet, much less make a comment. So if your concerned about attracting attention, my experience so far is that it doesn't.