When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Watch Doesn't Tick... Help?

Epanoui

I marvel at the inability of people who.....

negotiate a computer to find their way here,

buy a watch via online payment,

with a successfully opened bank account/ credit card etc,

fuelled by the proceeds of some form of gainfull employment,

doubtless commuted to by working the controls of a complex automobile,

etc etc etc

yet cannot figuer out how to work a watch with a coupla buttons on it

spooky!

To some people, its just something around your wrist that tells time and has no significance in their life other than that. As someone who sells watches, I would think you would have realized that.

I think you'll find that YOU are the one that is insulting everyone here.......how about doing a little RESEARCH before you fork out hard CASH for a complex MECHANICAL item....that will ALWAYS need some care and attention and future SERVICING....how about growing into the hobby........you know....learning to CRAWL before you WALK before you RUN.

It's LAZY people such as you that [censored] me right off......people who simply want a pretty status object on their wrist....no horological knowledge at all......in fact very little knowledge of any kind.....YOU wouldn't operate a car without KNOWLEDGE ..or a PC ..would ya.....Narikaa is right......!

And these boards are still flypaper for idiots.....!

C'mon Neil...give the kid a break...40 or 50 yrs ago he could have been me...or you!!...besides...eventually he'll acquire enough "seasoning" to qualify for a TTK deal... :victory::victory::victory:

I find it very surprising that most teenagers now know how to operate the computer better than a simple mechanical contraption.. it's sort of like a generation gap methinks.. quartz watches, 'puters and cellphones ;)

and no Joshua, I am not talking about you :) I can understand your excitement.

I handled my dad's automatic chrono when I was 10, and the first word that pop out of my mouth was, "Dad, we should get batteries for this watch.." ..simply because I observed the large second hand was not moving..

sigh.. I guess I do belong to the quartz generation after all...

..but I'm goin' RETRO-Matic man yeah :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I marvel at the inability of people who.....

negotiate a computer to find their way here,

buy a watch via online payment,

with a successfully opened bank account/ credit card etc,

fuelled by the proceeds of some form of gainfull employment,

doubtless commuted to by working the controls of a complex automobile,

etc etc etc

yet cannot figuer out how to work a watch with a coupla buttons on it

spooky!

Hey, anyone would be scared of an Asian 7750 after they've read about it here on the forum!

Before you can set the date on it you have to: wait for the tide to come in, make sure you've flushed your toilet, that you didn't leave your iron on and lastly hold the watch absolutely level in your hand. Then you have to set the date within 4 seconds or the watch will explode in your face.

No really, I agree with the dealers on this, I'm also amazed by the people having difficulty with their date changing at noon and not midnight.

'Awww, you bought a watch for the OTHER hemisphere, mate!"

BTW, I thought most/all chronos have the stationary seconds hand.. And no jokes about my attempt to slow my lemania down, please

I realize that some functions are complicated. For example, almost nobody knows how to use the circular slide rule on navitimers or really cares, how to use the tachymetre to measure the speed of a moving object (not so tricky but still), etc.

But still . . . I'm firmly not in the "there are no such thing as stupid questions" camp. You used google to find THIS site, why can't you use it to look for other information as well? For god's sake it's faster, more detailed and doesn't make you look like Lord Densely, Master of the Obvious. Age or noobieism has nothing to do with it -- simple common sense at any age above about 10 would suffice to figure out an answer on one's own as to a lot of these questions.

What's next -- "guys I can't get my watch off my wrist! The way I put it on doesn't seem to make it come off! Should I cut off my hand? Will that hurt? Will it grow back? What do I do about the excrement particles around my rectum after I defecate? Is there something you're supposed to do about that?" Where does it all end?

Edited by kanerich

I wasn't too worried for Joshua when his title said the "Watch Doesn't Tick".

Had he said it wasn't tocking either then............. :o

JTB

It's pretty loud too, so people should be able to hear that bastard ticking AND tocking without the seconds had running..

I had a real issue with ticking watches before I bought the 28,800 movements.. Now I think it's a soothing sound, and it reminds me to watch 60 minutes.

So let me apologize for:

1. Trusting this site over random google searches.

2. Asking questions that are deemed "too beginner"

3. Pissing off dealers because I don't spend every waking hour studying watches

4. Having a "first" moment

5. Being so incredibly stupid that I couldn't figure out the chrono buttons had to be unscrewed.

6. Thanking everyone that helped me.

7. Donating to the forum as a gesture of thanks.

I guess I'm just a stupid [censored].

So let me apologize for:

5. Being so incredibly stupid that I couldn't figure out the chrono buttons had to be unscrewed.

Well done Joshua! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your initiation is over. You may ask stupid questions in the future but you will not be lambasted in the same way, least ways not on my watch.

Your ability to recognise and accept the scourge of your peers for performing noobification acts AND to subsequently upgrade your membership status speaks volumes of you and furthermore means that you have truly arrived.

Go forward my son and spread the good word.

JTB

I don't think anyone said you are an [censored] and stupid is temporary... the only question is how obvious it is to others during the interim period :p

You can let this whole thing get under your skin or you can learn from it, toughen up and move on. Everyone has had a noob moment somewhere, and what defines them is how they handle it. Don't get all bitter and get your panties in a bunch, and let this be a lesson (since future forums and internet and even social interaction off the internet are all probably in your fugure) on how to conduct yourself later.

I understand you proably didn't mean it this way, but what it comes off as when someone asks a very simple noobish question like this is:

I think relative to my time, your time is worthless enough that I shouldn't have to do one iota of mental leg work to answer my simple questions, and the collective you out there should do it for me.

Try walking into a gym and asking the resident muscle heads "So how do I work these weight machines" without bothering to look if they have instructions labled right on them.

Try walking into a car enthusiasts club and asking "So how do you work a keyless entry?" without ever having rad the manual.

These questions simply scream "I didn't even bother trying before I decided to try and get you to do it for me".

It's the same feeling I get at my job when, standing right next to the sign that says "Bathroom" with a big arrow, someone wanders around the building, spots me, makes a bee line and asks "Where's the bathroom?".

It just screams "My time is too valuable to look for myself, so you peeon, you tell me where it is".

Laziness can be insulting in a very odd way, and whether you were intentionally or not (I doubt you really said "bah, I am not reading this, let someone else do it for me" but it feels that way from the other side nonetheless) this is where it got you.

Toughen up, carry on, things will get better if you learn from your mistake.

Edited by Devedander

So let me apologize for:

Hey, my friend, don't leave yet!!!! There's a pretty tough initiation here. The collectors on this site take watches, not just replicas, seriously. I suppose being reduced down to the level of results of your Google search is a little bit too much for some ego's to take. Don't let the attitude of some prevent you from continuing to support your replica passion and the forum. Some animals eat their young.

Perhaps swimming in the newcomer's forum for a little bit might make some of your questions a little more palitable. I agree with you, there is an intolerance here for 'stupid questions" and the rationalization is that we are too busy in what we do here for "stupid questions" and yada yada yada..is sometimes way too mean spirited. Thanks for your thanks and contribution.

Hey, my friend, don't leave yet!!!! There's a pretty tough initiation here. The collectors on this site take watches, not just replicas, seriously. I suppose being reduced down to the level of results of your Google search is a little bit too much for some ego's to take. Don't let the attitude of some prevent you from continuing to support your replica passion and the forum. Some animals eat their young.

Perhaps swimming in the newcomer's forum for a little bit might make some of your questions a little more palitable. I agree with you, there is an intolerance here for 'stupid questions" and the rationalization is that we are too busy in what we do here for "stupid questions" and yada yada yada..is sometimes way too mean spirited. Thanks for your thanks and contribution.

This thread should have ended on post 18.

Hey Joshua:

Don't let these guys get to you. It takes years and years to become as knowledgable and quick witted as our senior members. A toungue lashing from TTK is even looked upon as a compliment in some cases.

Look at this as the frat hazing..........If you come back for more you are one of us.

BTW, make sure the date changes at 12AM and not 12PM. I hear that is a common defect in this model.. :D

Hey Joshua:

Don't let these guys get to you. It takes years and years to become as knowledgable and quick witted as our senior members. A toungue lashing from TTK is even looked upon as a compliment in some cases.

Look at this as the frat hazing..........If you come back for more you are one of us.

BTW, make sure the date changes at 12AM and not 12PM. I hear that is a common defect in this model.. :D

I better send mine back then, I don't even have a date :o

:bounce:

I better send mine back then, I don't even have a date :o

:bounce:

Hehe, I'm surprised that this thread has remained the most popular all day long.. :)

At least you make interesting posts Joshua.. and btw, that's going to get confusing for all the newbies looking for Josh Nana.. hehe :)

-Kaneda