When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet Screw Question

tah

I just got a 14060 from Silix yesterday and am overall very pleased with the watch. They even shipped me the one with the lug holes after I got tired of waiting for it and gave up. Told them to go ahead and ship the one with no holes but I guess they got it just in time.

I'll try to post pictures later, it's pretty damn accuarate!

Anyway here's my problem with the bracelet. On the end of the bracelet, by the clasp, 6 o'clock side of the watch, there are two removable links. I have removed one. The last link is held by a screw that goes into the half link which is part of the clasp. This last screw, through the half link, holding the last removable full link, won't budge. I've gotten a good screwdriver on it and any more force I'm afraid of completely screwing (no pun intended) it up for good.

Has anyone ever gotten an extremely stubborn bracelet screw loose by applying heat or by another method?

Any advice would certainly be appreciated. In adjusting it to fit reasonably well I've had to take all the slack from the other side, the adjusting holes within the clasp. Now the watch rides on my wrist high on the noon side....leans AWAY from me. I don't care for this. When I adjust my watches and I HAVE to choose a side I have it leaning slightly TOWARDS me.............

Thanks...............

Soaked it overnight in KROIL (Kano Research OIL). Supposedly penetrates to 0.000001 inch, that's to the millionth of an inch! Used the stuff on old cars before and it's unbelievable. If you ever need a great penetrant I really don't think you can beat this stuff. Used by all the Aerospace Companies and all the Fortune 500 companies involved in any kind of assembly/disassembly work. I bought a can that will probably last me for life over 5 years ago.

Got the screw loose and also loosened the fixed link pin that you're not supposed to be able to move.

Now I have to get some epoxy or super glue to put the link back together. What glue have others used? This is just the pin that slides into the other half of the link. Smooth surface to smooth surface, but a VERY tight fit. Guess the KROIL penetrated this VERY tiny space also.

I'll get some pictures up after I get the band put back together.

But this thing is pretty freakin accurate. I had two gens of this watch, a non engraved rehaut, non-COSC 14060, as well as an engraved COSC 14060M. I've compared this rep to the pictures of the gens and am REALLY liking what I see.

I'll post them here or in the main Rolex forum, but if I post them elsewhere, I'll leave a note here............

Edited by tah

I have an old gen datejust jubilee bracelet and the screws feel like they are welded in. I have tried penetrating oils and heat and they wont budge. I eventually gave up before i completely stripped out the screw heads. Someone must have used epoxy or something to secure them. I was thinking i might take the bracelet to a machine shop and see if they can drill out the screws...

dizz