When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Seamaster Chrono Owners

woody

Hi new SM owners,

As I peeked through some dealer pics, I think I may have noticed that the date alignment is off to the right, kind of suffering the same fate as the Link Chrono. I wanted to see if any of the owners can confirm this for me, as I am close to closing a deal with one of our dealers. That was a big thing that turned me away from the Link Chronos, and wanted to get your opinions on it. Thank you all in advance, and happy ticking/sweeping!!

Hi new SM owners,

As I peeked through some dealer pics, I think I may have noticed that the date alignment is off to the right, kind of suffering the same fate as the Link Chrono. I wanted to see if any of the owners can confirm this for me, as I am close to closing a deal with one of our dealers. That was a big thing that turned me away from the Link Chronos, and wanted to get your opinions on it. Thank you all in advance, and happy ticking/sweeping!!

My response is whatever sinks your boat...

For me, date alignment problems are a nit pick but we all have our obsessive, laser beam focus flaws that are all we can see when we pick up a replica. I have not seen this new SMP Chrono yet but it is the next one on my list. I have a genuine and intend to put it to the toughest side by side I can. I want as exact a copy as I can get my hands on so I can retire my genuine to the garage where it's resale value will stay put.

Been looking at the dealer pics again - IMO the movement (or at least the datewheel) in this watch is a straight lift from the one used in the TAG Link Chrono.

I have had it confirmed by my watchmaker that it is a printing issue and not a flaw with the movement itself!

kruzer00: I didn't swap only datewheels. I swapped the whole movement. :) My SM Chrono Diver is now a swiss ETA. Woohoo. Oh.. my last post was confusing. The print on the datewheel of the Asian movement is not centered the same as the datewheel on the ETA 7750 movement. I think this might also explain the date center issue on the Tag. I'll know once I get around to purchasing a Tag for a 7750 swap. I have a new ETA 7750 with "Tag Heuer" engraved on the rotor waiting for this future project.

kruzer00: I didn't swap only datewheels. I swapped the whole movement. :) My SM Chrono Diver is now a swiss ETA. Woohoo. Oh.. my last post was confusing. The print on the datewheel of the Asian movement is not centered the same as the datewheel on the ETA 7750 movement. I think this might also explain the date center issue on the Tag. I'll know once I get around to purchasing a Tag for a 7750 swap. I have a new ETA 7750 with "Tag Heuer" engraved on the rotor waiting for this future project.

Where are you getting these swiss 7750's, ofrei.com?????

You can sometimes find good deals on eBay. Just be careful to scrutinize the post because there are some Asian 7750s being advertised as Swiss.

Here's where I got my signed TAG rotor Swiss 7750

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-7750-Movement-for-...tem110046103304

Wow! Beautiful and a full $100+ lower than ofrei.

Thanks, just bought that one! Now I wonder if the SMP chrono hands on the asian 7750 will fit the swiss 7750?

They won't. You need to use a broach to widen the hands or you can purchase real Omega second and subdial hands at Ofrei.. will cost you about $40 total. The subdial hands are backordered.

This 7750 is still available from the same seller. He's reliable but charges 4% PayPal surcharge.. still the way to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tag-Heuer-mech-Chronog...tem110047478407

They won't. You need to use a broach to widen the hands or you can purchase real Omega second and subdial hands at Ofrei.. will cost you about $40 total. The subdial hands are backordered.

This 7750 is still available from the same seller. He's reliable but charges 4% PayPal surcharge.. still the way to go.

I thought as much!

As I'm in the U.K. the seller has payment options to suit me so that is good. Very quick and friendly too, good seller.

I will get the hands broached to fit I think. If it fails I'll get gen hands.

I just received mine, and the date is just a tiny bit high. It doesn't bother me at all, but others may not be able to forgive it.

The only thing I'm going to do on this watch is to try to realign the bezel insert, change the strap to one I have that uses pushpins, and regulate the movement. Otherwise, I'm very happy with this watch.

BTW, how much is your dealer offering it to you for (Woody)?

The obvious answer to this problem is for some enterprising after-marketeer to produce an Asian 7750 compatible datewheel with the ETA font printed on it correctly centred.

Considering the number of TAG Link Chrono and SMP Chronos that have been bought here I'm sure there'll be a huge demand. If someome said today they were doing it I'd pitch in immediately.

(Is that a subtle enough hint?!)

Here's a straight-on pic of mine to show the date alignment. The single-digit dates are more to the right - sorry I didn't get a pic of those and unfortunately my camera is out of batteries and I don't have the charger.

Regarding the movements being serviced, I think only TTK sells pre-serviced versions of this watch.

post-90-1161959647_thumb.jpg

As I'm in the U.K. the seller has payment options to suit me so that is good. Very quick and friendly too, good seller.

Watcher

I am in the UK as well and have been considering swapping my Asian 7750's for Swiss ones.

Can you suggest any reliable rep-friendly technicians who may be willing to undertake such a task?

Thanks

@ bkdc - Thanks for that tip - just bought one myself!!

I can do the swaps in the UK for those that were asking. Don't all come at once as I am taking more of a back seat at the moment but will be able to do these fairly quickly as I am just about to clear my decks a bit. PM me.