When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First attempt at repairing. upo 45mm keyless works

the_rymeister

Hi guys as some of you may know i had some issues when purchasing a planet ocean watch. i originally bought a 42mm planet ocean and when it arrived it had a fault with all the hands jamming up. As i was new to rep watches i spoke with dealer and he suggested i return the watch to him for inspection...week later i manage to get an exchange and i decided to go for the 45mm ultimate planet ocean as i prefered the size and heard it was a better version of the watch.

so another week goes by and i get my new watch all excited as you are..... like christmas all over again unwrapping your new toy!!!! so i took the watch out and was so glad i went for the 45mm as it looked and felt so much better. previously i bought myself a toolkit from offshore at watchbitz......so i jumped straight in and adjusted my strap with my shiney new tool kit...i then go to set the time and pulled out the crown and nothing.........just spinning round and round and round. hands not working forward date not working forward but hands working backwards..... great another watch that i need to send back.so i got onto the dealer and he responded instantly as usuall and said send it back.

so i got on Rwg and asked what members suggested and most answers were coming back to usuall stem/crown threads stripped or keyless works issue? so i searched the forum and found a thread by sneed12 on how to repair your keyless works. so i went to bed saturday night and slept on it.

got up sunday and thought to myself sod it whats the worse that can go wrong if i try repair this myself....i destroy the movement or damage the watch and have to buy a new one! i cant afford a new one at the moment but its only £90 for a brand new movement.

so here goes nothing, bear in mind the only mod or repair i have ever done on a watch is adjust the strap which i did for the first time on this 45mm watch.

please correct me on anything that i mention that is incorrect as like i said i'm new to all this and don't know all the correct terminology for everything yet.

so i start with what i know and pop off the strap,case back and magnetic cover..

post-40133-0-78068100-1321901187.jpg

post-40133-0-99936500-1321901217.jpg

i noticed a couple of minor issues when i removed the case back,nothing that can affect the working of the watch

post-40133-0-46098900-1321901334.jpg

i then pop out the stem to find the crown loose on it so i removed crown and then refitted,feels better but i really need a new one.

post-40133-0-53539100-1321901475.jpg

post-40133-0-15881400-1321901510.jpg

then i remove dial securing clamps and dial from case and put clamps and screws to one side

post-40133-0-51730400-1321901588.jpg

post-40133-0-03026500-1321901620.jpg

then i removed dial from dial/movement holder and put in the clamp/vise

post-40133-0-02488400-1321901932.jpg

post-40133-0-82201300-1321901966.jpg

now this was a one of the bits i was worried about.....removing the hands! luckily again sneed12 had a great idea and that was to make a dial protector out of a business card to stop any damage on the dial from hand removing tool.

another thing i read somewhere on a thread was to remove all hands together in a stack which i'm glad i read or i think i could have broke something here.

post-40133-0-13893900-1321902134.jpg

post-40133-0-69035900-1321902340.jpg

right hands off now for the dial, on the reverse side you have to pull out the dial feet locking tabs/levers to remove dial

post-40133-0-19978600-1321902508.jpg

now thats out of the way we need to remove the date wheel and datewheel securing/guide plate and screw to access the keyless movement

also note there is a round spring washer in the center which i read be careful not to loose this as it could fly off without you realizing!!

post-40133-0-99552200-1321902584.jpg

post-40133-0-21530300-1321902607.jpg

post-40133-0-64760600-1321902647.jpg

this is where i realized i would need the stem and crown in to set up keyless works so i put the cover and date wheel back on and refitted crown and stem

post-40133-0-38994000-1321902783.jpg

now i removed the date wheel again and cover and this other ring which i'm guessing is some some of spacer ring. now to reveal the keyless works.

post-40133-0-03868400-1321902918.jpg

post-40133-0-26147300-1321903201.jpg

post-40133-0-89786400-1321903222.jpg

i then removed the top part of the keyless works which this part seems to hold it all together like some sort of clamp.

post-40133-0-46302700-1321903312.jpg

post-40133-0-89103900-1321903663.jpg

now thats out of the way i find a few issues which i think was causing my problem, a couple of levers not located correctly and a cog not located in its hole correctly.

it took me at least 3-4 attempts on fitting all these parts in the correct places before i got all the functions of the time/date/hack settings to work properly, mainly due to the little cog (shown in picture) kept

popping out and not staying where i told it to stay!

post-40133-0-01632100-1321903614.jpg

post-40133-0-41448900-1321903638.jpg

oh the next part which me being caught up in the moment of fixing my watch i didn't take pictures of.......yes the part where i show you where it should all go so i have got a picture from sneed12's thread to show you(hope he doesn't mind me borrowing his picture)

post-40133-0-14129300-1321903819.jpg

now that thats all done i rebuilt my watch in reverse order until i get to refitting hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now this has got to be my most hated part of the whole day, i tried putting hands on one by one then turning with crown,every time the hands kept falling off! i thought i would be there all day at a massive hurdle but eventually after several attempt i sorted it, and the closes i got to date flip over at midnight was 55 mins past. thats close enough for this repair as i did mark the dial from trying to put hands on and off several hundred times.but when the watch was back together you cant see the mark. once hands back on i cleaned with cotton bud. blew out case and dial to get rid of any dust that may have got in during repair.

post-40133-0-97694900-1321904331.jpg

post-40133-0-75086100-1321904466.jpg

there we have it a great sunday morning spent repairing my watch which i am over the moon i managed to do. i just want to say a massive thanks to all the guys on the forum for they're help support and knowledge in pointing me in the right direction and a hugh thanks to sneed12 for his amazing tutorial on how to repair your keyless works on on omega planet ocean.

cheers again and hope this may help someone at some point.

Ryan

Nicely done. Feels good to tackle these things by yourself and succeed. Great pics too. Thanks for sharing your experience and story.

If I may make one comment. It is not a good idea to work on a fabric surface or to set an open movement down on fabric. There is a plethora of lint, fiber and dust that will make its way into places it shouldn't while in contact. Best to work on a hard, flat and clean surface (preferably an anti-static mat). In the long run you will do your movement a favour by keeping it clean during work.

Nicely done. Feels good to tackle these things by yourself and succeed. Great pics too. Thanks for sharing your experience and story.

If I may make one comment. It is not a good idea to work on a fabric surface or to set an open movement down on fabric. There is a plethora of lint, fiber and dust that will make its way into places it shouldn't while in contact. Best to work on a hard, flat and clean surface (preferably an anti-static mat). In the long run you will do your movement a favour by keeping it clean during work.

Thanks for the advise buddy I'll look out for a mat.makes sense about dust fibres ect. Cheers

Big balls for a newb! Great work.

Cheers jkay

Hi importr

That sounds like a very good way to fit hands. I struggled trying to hold the hands with tweezers then push the hands on with the hand setting tool that almost looks like a rod with a nylon tip on each end. I will deffinatly try your way next time as sounds less frustrating!

Cheers

Ryan

nice write up. good work.

Just one thing. I usually remove all the keyless to make sure the sliding pinion is correctly positioned with the clutch. Sometimes with the yoke gets out of place the clutch can slip. So always remove all the parts up to the winding pinion and reassemble them to make sure the clutch is engaged.

nice write up. good work.

Just one thing. I usually remove all the keyless to make sure the sliding pinion is correctly positioned with the clutch. Sometimes with the yoke gets out of place the clutch can slip. So always remove all the parts up to the winding pinion and reassemble them to make sure the clutch is engaged.

Cheers txcollector, I'm still very new to all these parts, which part is the clutch and pinion.sorry for the novice questions.Maybe I'll scout the net and look for a breakdown in parts of the movement . Thanks for the comments and advice much appreciated.

Well done it takes balls to make the first step!

Get a set of JMB hand setting tools and if you ever need any parts like that new stem give me a shout

Cheers buddy, I've just received my gen crown and tube today and waiting on new stem. What are jmb setting tools? Do you have a link to a website. I did search on google but had no joy.cheers again

Cheers txcollector, I'm still very new to all these parts, which part is the clutch and pinion.sorry for the novice questions.Maybe I'll scout the net and look for a breakdown in parts of the movement . Thanks for the comments and advice much appreciated.

this should help

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/2892a2/2892a2.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think it's time for a new movement or new keyless works! My watch has broken again!!!! I've been so gentle with setting the time since the repair but it has happened again. I need to strip and sort keyless again. Must be something damaged.if anyone has a cheap swiss 2824 movement or parts please let me know.I'm in uk cheers

Ry

I have a similar problem with my seagull , Eta2824 clone.

I had fixed the kw and after few weeks the stem couldn't stand in place anymore: my guess is the setting lever wasn't working properly to "lock" the stem in position.

I bought a setting lever gen ETA and replaced the old one.

I'll see if it's a long term fix or if it's time to ship the movement to someone more skilled than me