When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Urban myth?

danielv2000

Let's not make things into things they are not here. Andy is right. Painting a black dial white does not make it a gen white dial. Even if it was one in its black state. It is not the same as an replacement dial made completely by Rolex.

And it should not have been posten on a gen forum.

Let's not make things into things they are not here. Andy is right. Painting a black dial white does not make it a gen white dial. Even if it was one in its black state. It is not the same as an replacement dial made completely by Rolex.

And it should not have been posten on a gen forum.

Sure it does. It is exactly the same as any Rolex replacement dial when it's done by a Rolex authorized person. It is NOT a genuine white dial 6542 Pan Am watch, and no one ever said it was. The genuine caseback tells that, it isn't engraved with a Pan Am logo.

The only part of your watch that is not factory authorized is the replica insert, which is not "fake" either. It is a replacement authorized by Law.

I misspoke. The insert is an aftermarket replacement for the Rolex 6542. Rolex no longer makes that insert.

All right, everyone calm down. I accidentally started this. I think everyone is in agreement that denigrating that franken 6542 as a fake is incorrect. And everyone else would also agree that it is a wonderful franken based on a very rare (or nonexistent) piece. No one is claiming the watch is gen (least of all the owner). :) My apologies to all for starting this. Now I am off with the kids to see that cinematic masterpiece "Breaking Dawn". :bangin:

No one is claiming the watch is gen (least of all the owner).

Actually, the owner is. And I do not understand why there should be any question? With the exception of the insert (it should be noted that the vast majority of 6542s referred to as 'genuine' have had their inserts replaced with service, aftermarket or 1675 replacements), every other part in that watch was made by Rolex in Switzerland. Had my dial been repainted its original black color, it would either have passed as just another '42 or referred to as a genuine 6542 with a repainted dial. However, repaint it to match a rare white variant of the GMT &, suddenly, the word 'fake' comes up.

For obvious reasons, I will not reveal their ID here, but, again, the dial restorer has been doing this type of work for Rolex USA for a long time (using many of the original Rolex printing dyes). Is the repainted dial original? No. But it is not fake either. And, for the record, most of the dials referenced as 'service' dials and described (dismissively, yet properly) as 'genuine' on that same forum went through the same process my dial did. The only difference is that I had the restorer copy the color of a white dial instead of the usual black.

Well, freddy believe what ever you like and makes you feel better. It's a very very nice and desirable watch.

Call it a Franken or gen or whatever, obviously you don't see the reasonable points mentioned by other members....for gen owners it will always be a fake ass watch.

For the obvious reason....It simply isn't a gen white dial 6542.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Well, freddy believe what ever you like and makes you feel better. It's a very very nice and desirable watch.

Call it a Franken or gen or whatever, obviously you don't see the reasonable points mentioned by other members....for gen owners it will always be a fake ass watch.

For the obvious reason....It simply isn't a gen white dial 6542.

I think you just hit in the last nail in the wall!

You are right! They gen guys will always call it a fake becuse its not the real white dial!!'

But who the [censored] cares anway? I would kill someone for that watch that fred has!!!

.....for gen owners it will always be a fake ass watch.

Only the uninformed or ignorant gen owners would think that. To the Rolex factory, authorized dealers, watchmakers, informed collectors and by the law the watch is a genuine Rolex 6542 with a service dial and replacement insert.

Only the uninformed or ignorant gen owners would think that. To the Rolex factory, authorized dealers, watchmakers, informed collectors and by the law the watch in a genuine Rolex 6542 with a service dial and replacement insert.

If freddy would take the watch to Rolex SA in Geneva they'd say:

" Hello Sir, nice fake ass watch you have there. "

Don't fool yourself.

Edited by Akira

If freddy would take the watch to Rolex SA in Geneva they'd say:

" Hello Sir, nice fake ass watch you have there. "

Don't fool yourself.

I don't think so. If someone has a genuine DateJust and sees a service dial they like, say it's a slate dial, or a dial with diamond markers or any of the custom dials that are on the market, and has it installed on his DateJust, is the DateJust now a "fake ass watch"? Of course not. It's still a genuine DateJust with a custom dial.

Try this - It is a genuine 6542, but not an oem albino (or white dialed) 6542. Better?

:D

I'm not nitpicking with you.....call it whatever you like and makes you feel good.

If it was up to me, you can call it 'The genuine holy Grail', 'Genuine Nessie' or 'The genuine magic bullet that shot JKF'

;)

You are mistaken.

Is he? Okay, lets try this then: We post one/several pictures and a short description on how the watch has been built on several different watchfora. Don't need to be Rolex only fora, because they will always be more critical. Then let the folks have a vote on whether it is fake or gen.

I bet I can predict the outcome, so can you....

Edited by powderfreak

Is he?

Yes, I believe he is.

A vote? What makes the voters you suggest qualified to know?

I'd think that if you asked Rolex, any authorized dealers, any watchmakers or any informed collectors if this watch that is all genuine with a service dial and replacement insert is a genuine Rolex, we'd get a more accurate answer.