When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Urban myth?

danielv2000

From what I've seen and read Rolex played fast and loose with many of their offerings. The perspex insert came in a number of variances during a relatively short run. Maybe it was just a 1950s experimental thing, or shortages after the war, but it seems they were not real consistent back then.

Yes, consistency was hardly their forte at that point. I'm surprised that they went away from the Perspex insets so quickly, given not only that the numbers glowed, compared to the non-glowing metal inserts, but also the 'floating 3-D effect' I imagine the numbers in such an insert to have (having note yet seen one with the naked eye) Then again, back then, Rolex were focussing solely on function, rather than high-end appearance... :pardon:

Another version of Donerix's 6542

6542panam2qn-1.jpg

Maybe, I copied it from somewhere, when I checked the properties, it said 'Photoshop'

That second variant should be pretty easy to replicate :tu: Even more interesting, is the slimline non-crownguard case, fitted with a later model bezel without the coin edge :g: My Silix vintage sub case already has that appearance, certainly would make for an easier build by not having to install a new coin edged bezel :g:

This thread has run its course, we've all had a chance to get it off our chest, we've agreed to disagree. Now we're to the point where personal attacks have replaced intelligent discourse, so I'm shutting it down. This place does not exist as a platform from which to launch attacks; we are a band of brothers and have been for well over a decade. Brothers fight ... they also defend each other when the chips are down. Please bear that in mind.