When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help with my AP ROO

taaxed

Hey guys,

I just stumbled across this forum by accident (so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area).

I bought myself an AP ROO Black Themes Chrono a few months ago and I've been wearing it daily, but the S/S bezel is getting ruined so quickly...I'm not sure if you guys have the same problem...

Just by looking at the watch I figure it's possible to change out the bezel to a ceramic one (I think the rubberclad model is ceramic right?) Sorry I'm kind of still getting my head around all the different watches/models etc.

So I'm looking for some help to buy a ceramic replacement bezel and also a place in Singapore that can install it for me. I've spoken to the AP Service Centre here and they're not interested in doing it.

Any help you guys can shed will be awesome.

p.s. I did a search but the threads I found were quite old so I thought I'd start a new one :)

Cheers

Some months ago I had the same issue with 2 bezels of my APs. They scratch very easy! I decided to repair them instead to buy new ones and the result was awesome. I removed the bezel and then I purchased the finest sandpaper available in my area : 600 for metal. I put the sand paper in a flat surface and then I passed the bezel in 1 direction (following the bezel brushed lines). After some 6 passes, the bezel was like new!!

Edited by fitipaldi

Wow... some serious chutzpah on display here...

Would have loved to hear that conversation with the AP authorized service center...

"Sir, can you tell me the serial number of your watch?"

"Ummmm, I think its F50812..."

(Click)

Seriously, Paldi is right-- Just disassemble your watch using a good screwdriver and a set of fine stainless steel tweezers to unscrew the internal bolts.

Polish the sides or bevel as needed with a cape cod or dremel tool. Do this first so any polish that gets on the front will be fixed by the next step.

Sand the bezel lightly (being careful to take the minimum amount of material as this will change the recessed depth of the bezel screws.) with 300-600 paper in one direction.

New bezel. Depending on how much material you need to remove to get rid of the dings/nicks, you'll be able to do this 2-3 times before decreased clearance of the screws becomes an issue. If this happens you can sand the bezel with the screws installed on, to make them flush again. You can then disassemble and then polish the screws carefully. You can do this 2-3 times before the screw heads become too thin.

Wow... some serious chutzpah on display here...

Would have loved to hear that conversation with the AP authorized service center...

"Sir, can you tell me the serial number of your watch?"

"Ummmm, I think its F50812..."

(Click)

Seriously, Paldi is right-- Just disassemble your watch using a good screwdriver and a set of fine stainless steel tweezers to unscrew the internal bolts.

Polish the sides or bevel as needed with a cape cod or dremel tool. Do this first so any polish that gets on the front will be fixed by the next step.

Sand the bezel lightly (being careful to take the minimum amount of material as this will change the recessed depth of the bezel screws.) with 300-600 paper in one direction.

New bezel. Depending on how much material you need to remove to get rid of the dings/nicks, you'll be able to do this 2-3 times before decreased clearance of the screws becomes an issue. If this happens you can sand the bezel with the screws installed on, to make them flush again. You can then disassemble and then polish the screws carefully. You can do this 2-3 times before the screw heads become too thin.

haha I'm a bit scared to do it to be honest!! Plus I just moved here so I don't have any tools with me...ugh

You spoke to the AP service center about installing a bezel on a rep? Heh. Good man.

In any event, I think you should contact one of the recommended/approved dealers on this board about getting a bezel. They may or may not be able to do so, but it's really your only shot.

rep? hahha :)

Some months ago I had the same issue with 2 bezels of my APs. They scratch very easy! I decided to repair them instead to buy new ones and the result was awesome. I removed the bezel and then I purchased the finest sandpaper available in my area : 600 for metal. I put the sand paper in a flat surface and then I passed the bezel in 1 direction (following the bezel brushed lines). After some 6 passes, the bezel was like new!!

hmm 600 grit sandpaper? I'm just not confident in doing it myself that's all...

What is the bezel made out of on the rubberclad model? I thought the sales rep last time told me it was ceramic? Or is it rubber? haha

You spoke to the AP service center about installing a bezel on a rep? Heh. Good man.

In any event, I think you should contact one of the recommended/approved dealers on this board about getting a bezel. They may or may not be able to do so, but it's really your only shot.

Btw, how do I find the recommended/approved dealers on these forums? Are they users or what?

If it is a gen then definitely take it to a service center. They will probably insist on refinishing the entire case and it isn't cheap. A few years ago it was $800 or so. If it is a rep then do as everyone else suggests and do it yourself. I believe that the rep gets dinged up more quickly than the gen for one of two possible reasons.The first is the quality of the metal is inferior ( but I have no idea whether that is the case. The second and more likely reason is that the the crystal on the gen protrudes more on the gen "protecting" the metal from certain bangs.

On a humorous note if you regularly sand down the bezel to the point where you have to shorten the screws you are actually shortening the height which will make the rep more accurate to the gen. :lol:

yes it's genuine!! that's why I'm not going to use sandpaper on it!! Lol I thought you guys were crazy...

I know the AP service centre can polish the original S/S bezel, but I'm just looking to buy a genuine rubber bezel (thanks Audace)...Although, after recently speaking to a few friends, they've told me it's not that durable either haha

The rubber bezel should still be a lot more durable. I see both versions fairly frequently and the gen ss bezel is always looking pretty scuffed up and it is not noticeable on the rubber clad, even if it does have nicks.

That's exactly what I've seen, some of my friends have the rubberclad models and that's what I've noticed...hence I posted this thread haha...

I'd assumed it was a rep. However, given that it's not, then I'd find a different dealer. They should be able to polish and brush the bezel back to new. My local jewelry shop, which isn't an AP AD, does this sort of thing on rings and Rolexes all the time, and they do a great job.

I'm not sure what to say to you...so let me try and be more clear.

1. I just moved to Singapore, they have an AP service centre and they can polish my watch for me

2. The above is a fact I am already aware of, and therefore, not a question I was asking

3. Why do you keep presuming it was a rep? I'm not the kind of person to buy a replica and I would definitely not wear a replica watch outside the house if I had one LOL

4. The official AP service centre will not sell me a rubber bezel as it's modifying the watch

5. If you know where to buy a GENUINE rubber bezel, then let me know ;)

3. Why do you keep presuming it was a rep? I'm not the kind of person to buy a replica and I would definitely not wear a replica watch outside the house if I had one LOL

Since you're new here I think it's OK to give you a pass but the vast majority of the members here enjoy buying, building and wearing replica watches.

The membership here is very helpful and nice but it would help in the future for you to be a little more specific about what you have and what you want. Since you did not take the time to introduce yourself, nobody here had the obligation to know what you have or what kind of person you are.

One last thing, even though many of us have gens and know where to find OEM parts, quite frankly your attitude seems to be a little too arrogant for some of us to want to help you. I'd check it at the door the next time.

Well - might have something to do with the forum you're on. What do you think the "R" in RWG stands for?

As txcollector stated - many of us have gens as well, and are happy to assist, but I wouldn't recommend bringing disdain for replica collectors to a rep forum and then asking for help.

I thought the "R" stood for Real. ;) But seriously Taaxed if you are uncomfortable with the whole rep franken concept than you are in the wrong place. But the price you pay is that you are giving up on the forums which tend to have a higher level of watch knowledge. Your average gen owner knows very little other than when it breaks you bring it back to the AD and it comes back mysteriously working again. There are plenty of gen owners here in addition to purist forums who are here for the shared watch knowledge and friendships. No one is pressuring anyone to buy reps but if they do offend you and you can't keep your thoughts to yourself you should probably move on. :)

+ 1!

I thought the "R" stood for Real. ;) But seriously Taaxed if you are uncomfortable with the whole rep franken concept than you are in the wrong place. But the price you pay is that you are giving up on the forums which tend to have a higher level of watch knowledge. Your average gen owner knows very little other than when it breaks you bring it back to the AD and it comes back mysteriously working again. There are plenty of gen owners here in addition to purist forums who are here for the shared watch knowledge and friendships. No one is pressuring anyone to buy reps but if they do offend you and you can't keep your thoughts to yourself you should probably move on. :)

That's exactly what I've seen, some of my friends have the rubberclad models and that's what I've noticed...hence I posted this thread haha...

I'm not sure what to say to you...so let me try and be more clear.

1. I just moved to Singapore, they have an AP service centre and they can polish my watch for me

2. The above is a fact I am already aware of, and therefore, not a question I was asking

4. The official AP service centre will not sell me a rubber bezel as it's modifying the watch

5. If you know where to buy a GENUINE rubber bezel, then let me know ;)

I'm presumed it was a rep because this is a forum called replica watch guide, and you didn't specifically state it was genuine in your initial post. Why do you think I'd assume you were talking about a genuine watch??

Good luck.

Mildly entertaining is about right

Yaawwnnn ;)

Actually what got has me interested now is the fact that AP wouldn't be interested in providing a rubber bezel for his watch.... I'm sure they would be more amenable to replacing his steel bezel if he insisted (and paid), but this adherence to stock config is interesting when they are the place for limited issue nearly bespoke pieces for celebs.

Here's where stumbling across RWG might be interesting for this guy (if he hasn't fled by now)-- does anyone know of you can franken a rep rubber bezel onto the gen case? Surely he could source the rep rubber bezel from a member or dealer? Could try Ti while he was at it.

Also, watchmeister raises an interesting point, though i know he was being tongue in cheek. Do most franken builds shave down the bottom surface of the bezel where it stands too tall? Would do this on the rep but not enuf room for hands and cannon pinion

Edited by Jurgenk

That's exactly what I've seen, some of my friends have the rubberclad models and that's what I've noticed...hence I posted this thread haha... I'm not sure what to say to you...so let me try and be more clear. 1. I just moved to Singapore, they have an AP service centre and they can polish my watch for me 2. The above is a fact I am already aware of, and therefore, not a question I was asking 3. Why do you keep presuming it was a rep? I'm not the kind of person to buy a replica and I would definitely not wear a replica watch outside the house if I had one LOL 4. The official AP service centre will not sell me a rubber bezel as it's modifying the watch 5. If you know where to buy a GENUINE rubber bezel, then let me know ;)

Welcome to singapore man. I live here as well. Are you american? There are alot of AP boutiques here and there you just have to look for the right one. If the AD's wont do it, there are still high end jewerlers who specialize in watches etc. Also, you stumbled upon a replica watch forum. These people are good people here. Most have alot of knowledge about watches and probably know more about your watch than you think. You are coming off a bit as a [censored] on your third point. Most cant afford your luxury so they resort to reps. Alot here even have genuine pieces along with reps like myself. Im sure not gonna wear a gen if i know im gonna be doing some rough work and whatnot. But anyway, if you have any questions, there are some good folks here from SG as well. There is also a member here who happens to be a watchsmith as well. PM me if you need his info.

I would be concerned about trying the rep rubber bezel. It will certainly attach to the case/gasket as I have used the gen gaskets before on rep cases but you will have the issue of reshaping the bezel both as to height and clearing out excess material on the inside of the bezel to make room for the broader tachy ring. I am not sure how you would cut the rubber evenly.

The one suggestion I would have would be finding an AP authorized service person or distributor rather than the boutique. They are always idiots. The service person may need the actual watch to order the part (in the States the jewelers do require the actual watch to order any basic case parts) but you do have it.