When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Movement Experts - Need your help! ETA 2824

redwatch

Hello fellow watch movement experts. Need some advice here. Working on a 2824 and I have a question. When you take the train wheel bridge assembly apart, is there a good trick for putting it back on and having all the jewels line up with the gear train pivots? I can get it to go back on after many, many trial & error attempts, but there has to be a good trick for this.

Or perhaps its just a lot of practice?

Well after some trial & error I managed to get it back together and up and running.... kind of. It is pretty erratic. The movement came to me with issues of stopping after a short time. This seems to have gone away, but the timing is all over the place. Obviously it needs a thorough service (which I am not quite ready to do yet), but I am curious if anyone can tell me what would make the movement behave this way?

Here is a screen shot of the timing software:

Kevins2824.jpg

uneven power delivery, or could be dirt in the tooth of a gear, i have had a smallest piece of shit in the tooth of a main spring barrel stop a movement and that is where the movement has the most power (but moves the slowest) it has the least power to over come an obstuction at the escape wheel but moves the fastest.

If the main spring is dirty then the spring will bind and stick and you see big flutuations in the amplitude, but hat can be cased by dirt and old oil in the rest of the movement as well.

" So just remove the hair spring assembly and pass it through a demagnetizer?"

You can run the complete watch or movement with or without the dial/hands through the demag. Be sure to have a firm grip on it.

If it is a 'tunnel' type demag...put the watch in the tunnel, turn it on, leave the watch in the tunnel for a couple seconds, move it out of and away from the tunnel quickly, turn the demag off.

Never leave an AC demag on for long because they are basically a direct short and can heat up quickly.

Flat top demags work the same way.

You can run the complete watch or movement with or without the dial/hands through the demag. Be sure to have a firm grip on it.

If it is a 'tunnel' type demag...put the watch in the tunnel, turn it on, leave the watch in the tunnel for a couple seconds, move it out of and away from the tunnel quickly, turn the demag off.

Never leave an AC demag on for long because they are basically a direct short and can heat up quickly.

+1

That should do the trick.

Demagnetize the hair spring (balance)

This is exactly why I just LOVE this community!!! Thanks for the suggestions guys!!!! Released the main spring tension and ran the movement through the tunnel demagnetizer and voila!!! Running like a champ now!!!!!!

Sounds like someone tried to test the magnetic resistance of their "Anti-Magnetic Shield" ... LOL ... any common rare earth magnet will instantly overpower even Gen magnetic protections .. they were never intended to protect the watch movement from today's novelty magnets.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/bbe8/?srp=18

Great job!

Thanks! But now I have another issue ;)

I decided to be adventurous and dismantled another 2824 that I have here. When I removed the barrel bridge, underneath it was a small, brass spring. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it was attached.

Here's some pics for reference:

3ac779b3.jpg

b8f6e68e.jpg