When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage Daytona Finally

siesta181

I have always had access to DW's vintage daytonas. I mean, being 15 mins drive away from Spinmaster, I always hear discussions on DW's latest offerings, DW's latest batch of cases, DW's inconsistency etc, etc....but seriously, those watches are rather puny... design's rather dated (that's what I thought then). What's the big hoohaa?

I finally took the plunge about a month back and I realised what an idiot I have been for the last 3 years....

a7b8b971.jpg

11997408.jpg

8c12b7c3.jpg

f80e6ad2.jpg

ead63812.jpg

This is a fantasy combination, I have not seen a gen with this dial / bezel combination but I insisted because it's just pure sex, baby...

Nothing fantasy about that watch, it's a 6241! They were produced from 65 to 69 and had the 722 movt and finally the 722-1. Your dial is correct for that model.

Bracelet wise, 6635 or 7205 were used early on and then the 7835 was used later. But the 78350 is still fine as far as I'm concerned.

Also, there was the later 6264 which sported the same make up, only it had the updated motor- the 727.

Enjoy your watch!

Thanks for the kind comments guys esp to alligoat and M for posting the picture. The following factors were taken into consideration b4 I decided on this combo.

1. I didn't want an oyster case because it would have been too similiar to the Tudor MC which I already have.The fact that the 6238/6241 uses a cheaper gen 6mm twinlock made the decision easier. (hey.... what can I say, you save where you can). The 6241 would also be using the pastic bezel, different from the steel bezel of the Tudor MC.

2. The black plastic bezel also made the watch looks bigger. AT least that what I thought so. This is impt for me because this watch would be the smallest watch in my collection. Even smaller than the MC.

3. Of all of DW's dial, I like the albino dial best but the DAYTONA above the hour totaliser sort of defeats the understated look of the watch. Makes it a bit loud. If that's even possible for a vntage daytona.

4. The black subdial masks the different construction of a gen and rep dial. The non "dish" effect of a DW dial is masked better with a black subdial. The silver background also provides an illusion that masks the subdial spacing better. (again, some justification on my part not to go the gen dial route).

Knowing that such a combo existed is a bonus, definitely . I thought the 6241 came only with the smaller Daytona words. I guess the bezels were interchangeable and Rolex weren't to A N A L back then. All well that ends well... Thanks for looking.

Yes, the key is "Never say Never with Vintage Rolex." If you wanted customization and that meant that they would sell a watch, you got it! Too bad that doesn't apply today. :)

I finally took the plunge and ordered a Daytona like that from DW - mine is the standard 6239 steel bezel; though I ordered an extra black bezel, just in case. Thanks for the inspiration!

Yes, the key is "Never say Never with Vintage Rolex." If you wanted customization and that meant that they would sell a watch, you got it! Too bad that doesn't apply today. :)

I finally took the plunge and ordered a Daytona like that from DW - mine is the standard 6239 steel bezel; though I ordered an extra black bezel, just in case. Thanks for the inspiration!

Not thread crapping by any means. Let me know how the DW turned out. I'm orderign a 7031 and 6239 case sets in a few days, but may wait.

E

I wouldn't wait - these are the last days of DW as we know it. :(

From what I understand, he is nearly out of parts, so if you want them, you need to let him know as soon as possible!

From the QC pictures I got, the Daytona turned out pretty awesome. I already have a 6262 two-coloured Newman DW, and wanted to add a less expensive representative to the lineup... :)

Really? How interesting...

Last I heard, his and David's brand watches were doing so well that they didn't need reps anymore. Not doubting your info, mind you, just putting this out there.

FWIW, I ordered a 5513 case from him, which I think I was able to get with a 25mm rehaut... When I get it in the next few days, I'll try to do a pictorial on it, so that anyone that wants a case can (maybe) get one with proper dimensions.