When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(update Page 2)ever Have A Box Show Up With No Watch Inside?

Mano

ordered a Bentley Gt and it arrived today, well the box did. I opened it up and the bubble wrap had been torn open and the watch taken out and I guess they taped it back up and sent me the empty box (US customs I assume??) Anyone ever had that happen to them?? there's $300 down the drain. I think my replica days are about over.

Edited by Mano

My friend, that happened to me, and I have been scarred by it since. I myself am EXTREMELY sensitive when it comes to someone else's things, I have never ever stolen, a moral and value I hold dear to me.

I was aided by many fine gentleman, such as the man who posted before me, who was so generous I lack the words to describe it. With this and because of these generosities of the members, I was able to forget about it.

Floris

My friend, that happened to me, and I have been scarred by it since. I myself am EXTREMELY sensitive when it comes to someone else's things, I have never ever stolen, a moral and value I hold dear to me.

Not trying to ruffle feathers but isn't buying replica watches a kind of stealing and immoral in and of itself? :g:

BTW I would think maybe it was someone in the delivery system, not so much customs... lots of hands touch a package in transit, so it's not hard to steal (especially internationally) and not get caught, but customs officials have to watch themselves... they have leway for sure but they are much more suspect and easier to track down if hey make a habbit of it.

Edited by Devedander

What is the port of entry of your watch?

Where would it say what the port of entry is?? So might I still have to deal with a seizure letter too, even though I received an empty box or will they just leave me alone since they probably just took the watch?

Check your tracking.

If they "seized" it, expect a letter..

It arrived in Chicago customs from the tracking info, and it does not say seized, it says arrived at unit so apparently just stolen. Any way to avoid it in the future?? description was watch sample, maybe something else would be a better idea?

Customs don't steal watches......they seize them and look for revenue or retribution depending on the contents.

Most likely scenario is that some light fingered Larry within the distribution system has it...either in country of origin....country of destination......or any number of points in between....!

It's a grwoing problem.....which is only getting worse......before the advent of the Internet....if you wanted to buy ..say....a compact Flash card.....you went to your local photographic shop.....now you order it from Hong Kong.....same as your Ipod....digital camera...printer....whatever......opens up more transactions to the abuse such as postal theft....not to mention damages......!

The problem for we in this hobby is that because we are dealing in counterfeit items....a legitimate complaints process is denied to us....!

There are several different aspects that a lot of members don't take into account.....such as the question of remuneration.....when members expect the dealer to declare a LOW value description ..so that the member doesn't have to pay exorbitant duty....it then leaves the dealer with no avenue for recompense when it comes to claiming insurance for the 'lost' item.......I've replaced at my own cost several items last month and this month alone.....it's eventually gonna have to stop and a different conciliation process between delaer and member has to be put in place......such as a 50/50 split for item replacement cost and postage.......it's not fair that a member expects to operate within an entirely illegal industry and bear no burden of responsibilty for his involvement......if a dealer can prove that he has sent the item as paid for....it's hardly fair that he absorb the entire cost of replacing the item....just as it would be unfair to expect the customer to absorb the entire replacement cost.......!

PLEASE say you're joking......

No... I just don't kid myself about the morality of what I do...

I am far from perfect, and I step on the wrong side of the line often, I just don't try to deny it when I do, and I try to keep it to things I can accept being in the wrong on.

Really wasn't trying to [censored] anyone off, but it is kind of true...

I have a buddy who constantly "works the system". He buys something he feels is overpriced but wants anyway, calls the company up, makes up a lie about the product (it was broken on arrival/not full/stale or unedible) and gets them to send him a refund or credit for more product. He says there is nothing wrong with it and it's not stealing because the company is so big they never feel the blow and it's their own fault for having a policy that allows that sort of thing to happen.

I think we can all see how that's a faulty rationlization.

Now I am not all rainbow bright, I have bent the truth before, but I never make qualms about the fact I am doing it and I try to draw the line at lying; both to myself and others.

Edited by Devedander

Hey man,

I appreciate your opinion to the fullest extent and certainly agree with you on your buddy's tactics. I just feel a little differently, re-reading my short little "you have to be kidding" did seem a little 'simple' and 'elementary', I apologize for that. Anyway, glad to see you have your own views.

All the best.

No... I just don't kid myself about the morality of what I do...

I am far from perfect, and I step on the wrong side of the line often, I just don't try to deny it when I do, and I try to keep it to things I can accept being in the wrong on.

Really wasn't trying to [censored] anyone off, but it is kind of true...

I have a buddy who constantly "works the system". He buys something he feels is overpriced but wants anyway, calls the company up, makes up a lie about the product (it was broken on arrival/not full/stale or unedible) and gets them to send him a refund or credit for more product. He says there is nothing wrong with it and it's not stealing because the company is so big they never feel the blow and it's their own fault for having a policy that allows that sort of thing to happen.

I think we can all see how that's a faulty rationlization.

Now I am not all rainbow bright, I have bent the truth before, but I never make qualms about the fact I am doing it and I try to draw the line at lying; both to myself and others.

Hey man,

I appreciate your opinion to the fullest extent and certainly agree with you on your buddy's tactics. I just feel a little differently, re-reading my short little "you have to be kidding" did seem a little 'simple' and 'elementary', I apologize for that. Anyway, glad to see you have your own views.

All the best.

Fair enough. My question was rhetorical and your response was provicating... but no harm done. I wasn't joking and don't share your view but if I that is my biggest problem I am a lucky man :)

Agree to disagree on this one. Back to watches!

UPDATE: My dealer very generously said he will send me a replacement. Don't know if I should say who it is, but I'm new here so I'll leave it be for now. This turned around an otherwise awful day for me. Thanks so much! you know who you are....

Of course you should name the dealer.

His attitude is an added value to him/her.

Well I might ask the dealer if its ok to name but I think we have a dealer review section for a reason and dealers of the forum should sort of expect to be talked about.

Also many dealers have a policy to ship if seized by customs... This isn't exactly that, but I know I have asked all the dealers what their policy is and it seems everyone currently ships replacements.

My feeling is they make a good profit margin (I am guessing about 70-100% markup) and it offsets an occasional loss to customs (hazard of the business they are in, kind of like best buy who must factor in ocassional theft into their profit margin) assuming it doesn't get abused. Feeling secure you will get your watch I think brings in enough business to make it worth it for them (although I know at least one dealer is considering a change).

But whether they should is really ot here, I say maybe ask if he minds being named, but again if he is a forum dealer he knows there is a review section...