When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My gen dial white ExpII

sneed12

Ever since I built one for Ruprekt (here) I've wanted one of my own. I snagged a lot of parts (gen dial, ETA 2893-2, Noob Explorer) that another member was selling, and put my new watch together this morning.

Here's a shot of the parts I got, plus a spare movement I had lying around, plus my other Noob Explorer II (which is for sale, now that this build is done).

100_4208.JPG

Comparison shots of the dials. Gen dial is on top, original Noob dial on the right (note the gunmetal markers). On the left is the dial with black markers that is currently available new through dealers, which I swapped into this Noob case a while ago (thread on RepGeek here). You can see that the gen dial has a very light stain on the 12 o'clock marker and very very light damage to the "L" in Explorer.

100_4209.JPG

I decided to use a Swiss ETA 2836-2 rather than the 2893-2 that came with the kit, since I the GMT hands I have didn't fit the 2893 (I could have ordered one, but I was impatient and I don't like the quality of WSO's stuff). I'm going to try to sell the 2893-2, and if it doesn't sell, I'll install it in my GMT IIc.

Here you see a 2836-2 w/ Noob DWO, the BK DWO that will replace the Noob one, some hands, and the gen dial.

100_4211.JPG

Dial installed, BK DWO installed, hands installed.

100_4212.JPG

Completed watch. Gen dial is the one with the bracelet installed, the one on the left is my old watch. As you can see, the "old" one is pretty good, actually! Weakest spots are the lume and DWO.

100_4217.JPG

Beautiful!!! Amazing comparison there! Thanks for sharing that. Subtle differences between the two dials in the last shot, but the biggest tell for me (and the part that would drive me nuts) is the coronet. That gen dial really makes a HUGE difference! Now get that 2893 in there!!! :tu:

Great job !

Just imho, and it concern only my taste, I think the case on the left is better, more consistant CG. The CG, on the watch at right with the gen dial, looks to short

again, its just me :)

again congrats and thanks to share

edit : sorry, I just noticed the difference of both crowns, I suppose the right watch has a gen crown ?

Edited by Rolexaddict

Beautiful!!! Amazing comparison there! Thanks for sharing that. Subtle differences between the two dials in the last shot, but the biggest tell for me (and the part that would drive me nuts) is the coronet. That gen dial really makes a HUGE difference! Now get that 2893 in there!!! :tu:

I don't think this case could house a 2893. Otherwise, beautiful watch!

fantastic, could you please explain with pics how you fix a gen dial with an eta?

thanks

very simple,

the simple way consists to cut the dial feet and glue the dial on the movement.

the second way, more difficult as the modder is supposed to be able to disassemble/reassemble the movement and have the right tools :

2 holes or notches in clearance with the Rolex dial feet are machined in the movement plate. Glue is also necessary, as there is no arms or screws disposal to hold the dial feet tight in place.

Edited by Rolexaddict