When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did I do the right thing?

Mills

I've been hunting for a gen radiomir for a while and found one on eBay. It was a 288J and listed 50% off retail. All looked good apart from the shitty photos and the seller had good feedback as a seller. I won the auction with a bid just shy of £3k and was looking forward to receiving the watch but then in my eyes it took a turn for the worse.

The seller immediately sent me a mail asking if I wanted him to deliver the watch, which was nice, but then asked if I could pay cash (red flag 1). In further discussions he then said "The History of the watch is unknown to me prior to me buying it from a private seller on ebay. As you I did the checking through Panerai in Florence Italy and visitedthe museam there last year with the watch. Please feel free to do your own checking on its authenticity." (red flag 2).

After asking for better photos he said he could get no better with his camera. He did send me some more photos of the tags and cosg cert which all matched but at that point I really started to doubt the sale.

I've just backed out, much to his annoyance, and expect a tirade of mails demanding payment.

Did I do the right thing or am I being paranoid.

I told him to get the authenticity sorted and sell it on paneristi to make an extra £500. I feel bad if he was a genuine seller but I'm not parting with hard earned cash when it doesn't feel right. Sending it in for a service and not getting it back would keep me worried for years.

I hate waiting for email when you know it's going to be somebody ranting at you.

Is there any recourse he can take against me backing out of a winning bid. I read up on it and I think I'm covered by distance selling but as I've never backed out of a transaction like this so I'm unsure.

I don't care about my eBay profile, I'm more worried about UK law

Is there any recourse he can take against me backing out of a winning bid. I read up on it and I think I'm covered by distance selling but as I've never backed out of a transaction like this so I'm unsure.

I don't care about my eBay profile, I'm more worried about UK law

when he asked for cash payment that's against eBay rules. If you forward that email to eBay the seller most likely will be suspended. You are in the clear.

Apparently the seller is not 100% sure about the watch authenticity (hence the low price), wants your cash (non traceable or recoverable) and won't provide better proof, run as fast as you can. Nothing good will come out of it.

It's even worse that he's trying hard to convince you to buy even after all of this. If the deal was legit he would be able to sell it for more money in a heartbeat.

Run as fast as you can...

Also, don't worry about eBay with not paying. As a buyer, he can't leave negative feedback. Open a dispute thing and say you no longer want to purchase the item, which you have every right to do for no reason whatsoever.

Next, he'll complain. You email him and blackmail him, say you will email eBay the email he sent you about paying in cash (which is not allowed) unless he agrees to cancel the transaction.

UK law has no bearing whatsoever on an eBay transaction. Unless the watch is not a watch but a spare kidney :) You are totally in the clear mate, don't stress, walk away, there are millions more watches to spend money on :)

The onus is on the seller to provide authenticity or don't bother saying that it is when it can't be proven specially with a high value item. If it really is authentic then the cost of getting it is well worth the increase in price that it will command. So you did the right thing and saved yourself the headache.

Go with your gut. No Box or papers? Ebay is a bad place to buy a gen. Try Paneristi. They police themselves very well,

Run as fast as you can...

Also, don't worry about eBay with not paying. As a buyer, he can't leave negative feedback. Open a dispute thing and say you no longer want to purchase the item, which you have every right to do for no reason whatsoever.

Next, he'll complain. You email him and blackmail him, say you will email eBay the email he sent you about paying in cash (which is not allowed) unless he agrees to cancel the transaction.

UK law has no bearing whatsoever on an eBay transaction. Unless the watch is not a watch but a spare kidney :) You are totally in the clear mate, don't stress, walk away, there are millions more watches to spend money on :)

Great, thanks for that. I'll do so right away.