When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Found a vintage Explorer 1016 in a flea market ...

polexpete

Hi all,

i just moved from Beijing to Shanghai and whilst wandering around my new neighbourhood i found an old electronics market and on the third floor i found this ....

EXP3.jpg

EX1-1.jpg

EX2.jpg

sorry for crappy pics i only had my Blackberry ...

The rivet bracelet is all original and in ok condition but the dial and hands are certainly crappy replacements. I asked the guy to open her up and inside was a gen Rolex movement but a 1530 not a 1570 which i think is correct for a 1016. The case looks good correct engraving in the caseback although i didn't check between the lugs. Crystal sits too high also probably aftermarket.

So i asked him the price .... and he said 10,000 yuan. Which is 1,500 USD. I initially thought wow i gotta have this but in its unoriginal state what do you guys think ...

Btw he had quite a few Datejusts, Oyster precisions all going for the usual prices

Cheers

P.

Are you sure this isn't a 5500 Explorer ? It would be the smaller 34mm case. The 1016 has 'Superlative Chronometer Officially Certified' on the dial and the 1570 movement like you say. The 5500 was marked 'Precision ' and had either a 1530 or later the 1520. Looks to me like a 5500. Also, the end links on the bracelet are wrong- they fit terribly.

• Like 1

In addition to the aftermarket dial/handset, the crown position looks offset, which hints at the case being aftermarket as well. On the other hand, the movement (if in good, running condition) & bracelet are worth the asking price, so it might not be a bad buy.

Hey Freddy,

yes true, i might go and offer him considerably less otherwise given what its gone through parts may not be in the best of condition ...

Cheers

P.

It also looks like a 5500 to me, and I think the case, bezel, bracelet, crystal profile all look good. If it were all original, USD 1500 would be a very good price.

However, the dial looks off to me, and by "off" I mean aftermarket. The 3/6/9 look like they belong on a 1016 dial (especially the 3) and are pushed right up against the rehaut. The fonts used on the ROPE also look unusual.