When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guess What JMB Built Me

ebzen02

Good looking watch! JMB was the key to success on my 1016 build also. He turned a stainless steel bezel that fit like a glove on my 1601 DJ case.

P1010143.jpg

This watch even passed the WR test at the watchmakers, so it's good for anything. And it has a relumed dial courtesy of LHOOQ so it's great for viewing at night.

J also salvaged my PT 1665 by turning another ring for me and recently got me another crystal for my SSD V2 which cured the Wokky blues! He's been my salvation, w/o him I'd be one frustrated cat!

LH has been a really bad influence on many of us! :whistling:

Spring-bars are now installed and it's boxed and ready to ship! T

This is the one M corrupted me into building...

Tiff%20Exp%20NH%201.JPG

J also salvaged my PT 1665 by turning another ring for me and recently got me another crystal for my SSD V2 which cured the Wokky blues! He's been my salvation, w/o him I'd be one frustrated cat!

What's this about a crystal for a SSD v2?

Aside from eBay listings, I've never seen good shots of the white Space Dweller dial. That looks awesome! And jmb's work is impeccable as always.

Welcome to the 1016 club!

Forgive my ignorance, but is there such a thing as a white dial 1016? I'm thinking this would be great for the girlfriend...

Okay I just have to come out of lurk and drool publicly over this watch. I've been studying-studying over the last week trying to get a handle on what options there are for a satisfactory early Explorer rep. JMB's recent products have been at the top of my radar over the last few days and I nearly sent him a PM yesterday but held back because I know I still have a ton to learn. Must-wait-till-not-ignorant....

Seeing this one makes me very impatient to get going. Many thanks to all who have posted about these over the years, the info here is very helpful if a bit overwhelming for a newbie trying to learn it all in an instant.

Aside from eBay listings, I've never seen good shots of the white Space Dweller dial.

M, this dial has "SPACE DWELLER" in silver the same as yours but it might be a bit washed out in these pics. I do have the "Space Dweller" artwork finished and printed up some dial decals but I'm not 1oo% happy with them. I still vow to build a "Red Space Dweller"! ;)

I think he meant the indices.. However, I believe there is such a thing as a white dial 1016

daniel: Sorry for being unclear! I was referring to the indices, as ebzen noted. I have often asked inGod to see if he could source a similar dial marked "Explorer", as it would be the hands-down best on the aftermarket. Not the most accurate to any specific gen dial, but the quality of printing is so good that you wouldn't care.

The original Space-Dweller dial was, as far as I can tell, a gilt. It can be hard to detect in the Antiquorum photos, but the base is gloss black while the fonts are crisply printed and appear to be off-white. There is no Space-Dweller dial with a white base.

In fact, the jury is still out on the veracity of "White Explorers", including the one from the Superlative Rolexes book, pictured above. Post a picture of one on VRF and be prepared to receive the same skepticism as you'd get for white GMT and white Sub dials. Now, there were a bunch of "Explorer"-marked white dials, but these were mostly dress models from the 1950s, rather than the core 3/6/9 Explorer references (6150, 6350, 6610, 1016, and... I know I'm missing one).

daniel: Sorry for being unclear! I was referring to the indices, as ebzen noted. I have often asked inGod to see if he could source a similar dial marked "Explorer", as it would be the hands-down best on the aftermarket. Not the most accurate to any specific gen dial, but the quality of printing is so good that you wouldn't care.

The original Space-Dweller dial was, as far as I can tell, a gilt. It can be hard to detect in the Antiquorum photos, but the base is gloss black while the fonts are crisply printed and appear to be off-white. There is no Space-Dweller dial with a white base.

In fact, the jury is still out on the veracity of "White Explorers", including the one from the Superlative Rolexes book, pictured above. Post a picture of one on VRF and be prepared to receive the same skepticism as you'd get for white GMT and white Sub dials. Now, there were a bunch of "Explorer"-marked white dials, but these were mostly dress models from the 1950s, rather than the core 3/6/9 Explorer references (6150, 6350, 6610, 1016, and... I know I'm missing one).

This Space Dweller is calling my name...

So, where there any gen space dweller dials with the grey "space dweller" print?

Based on the pictures I've seen (and there aren't too many on the web), the gray/silver "Space-Dweller" on the inGod dial is correct. It's the rest of the dial that I'm not so sure about.

Not that it matters too much. The quality of the inGod dial puts my mid-70s 1016 dial to shame!

Good looking watch! JMB was the key to success on my 1016 build also. He turned a stainless steel bezel that fit like a glove on my 1601 DJ case.

P1010143.jpg

This watch even passed the WR test at the watchmakers, so it's good for anything. And it has a relumed dial courtesy of LHOOQ so it's great for viewing at night.

I didn't know this watch, I just discover it. Beautiful ! Not so many Rolex are nice with a leather band, but this one looks really great. Congratulations !

Paul