When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1968 Vintage 300m Advice n Options

OldCorvette

Just popped on this sight today.. I'm looking to get or make a 67/68 Vintage Seamaster. I'd like to keep this thread pretty

much wide open for suggestions.

I was originally looking for a case, dial, handset.. everything but the movement and was planning on Sourcing an Omega

564 movment.. Yes I said 564 .. not a misprint. My understanding is that the 564 is basically the same as the 565 but has been through Certification.

I'm not looking to pass this watch off as an original except in exterior view.. I would really prefer the 564 because to me it's an upgrade, small though it may be. Anyway.. those were my original guiding thoughts. I'd also like the NON date dial, I like the look of the Non Date a little better. Anyway a 67/68 replicase with an Omega 564 movement on a NonDate dial would be my ideal set up.

yYuki quoted me $450 for the case .. I've seen 2824 based completes elsewhere for $270-

What would you do ? Why ? There are some replicas you like/have experience with/recomend ?

Here's a 1968 model non date:

68sSeamaster.jpg

Wow that's one hell of a first build to tackle! As Nanuq pointed out, there are a few folks here that have built that exact watch - some even with NOS parts!

Definitely a beauty and the original Omega movement is quite the stunner! I had one a while back with a 565 in it. I wish it had a display case back to show off that beauty!

DSC_0106.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

OldCorvette: From what I've seen, Yuki's case is essentially the same as the old Vietnamese case that's been floating around for a while. The big improvement in Yuki's most recent batch appears to be the bezel insert. The numerals on these used to be an awful shade of pineapple yellow; they're white now.

These more expensive cases shouldn't be confused with the more commonly available, ETA-based reps that sell for $200-300. Those are very inaccurate dimensionally, especially when viewed from the side. You'd be wasting your time trying to fit a c.5xx in one.

Please see the following threads I of mine:

Franken Vintage Seamaster 300 - My build, using a c.552 and a Vietnam case.

Vintage SM300: All NOS'd Up - I swap out the Vietnam case for a genuine Omega replacement.

A comparison of the VN SM300 and the genuine replacement case.

Putting an all-NOS SM300 together used to be a great project for a reasonable amount of cash, before Omega jacked up its parts prices. Now, you may be better off buying a Watchco-assembled unit from eBay (USD 2000, rather than AUD 3000). No-Date builds are a few hundred bucks more expensive, due to the scarcity of dials.

• Like 1

I won't be spending $2000 on a rep ... Even all NOS- I was hoping for a reasonable franken with a mix of NOS and replica parts.

Well... I believe the Yuki case comes with everything you need, including a dial, hands, and crown. At minimum, you could put this together for $600-700, but the only genuine bit would be the movement.

I would recommend getting a genuine dial and handset for ~$150 additional, then consider a 1171/633 bracelet (~$150 used, $300 new). I suggest you check the prices on CousinsUK and Ofrei, as eBay is full of unreasonably priced Omega parts. I've seen cases and dials sell for 150% of their Cousins list price.

• 1 month later...