When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did I get scammed on this bracelet?

Xander123

I don't want to quibble, but it's described as a "Rolex bracelet," the clasp has "Rolex" written on it, so if it's not a Rolex bracelet, he did not describe it correctly. Also, description aside, rep stuff is forbidden on ebay. He also sent it through the USPS, which is never a good idea if you are doing something iffy. I'll keep you posted, but I doubt I'm going to end up getting stuck with this. I have no problems with reps, I think they are fascinating, and so are the people who work with them. I just don't believe in dishonesty. Although, there is a chance he has made an honest mistake, I'll wait to hear back.

When you call your rep dealer and say I need a Rolex Daytona bracelet. You don't say, I need a Rep Rolex Bracelet.

I think he's a skunk. And that's why the pics are taken so far away. I think you bought the farm. It could have worse,

At least you didn't spend a grand. Get a descent clasp and enjoy.;)

Chalk it up to experience...

MM

MM, I hear what your saying, but I don't really think the analogy holds. I'm not going to give a long, boring legal explanation, but he made a representation, the representation was false, I reasonably relied on it, and suffered damages as a result. Either way, I'm not chalking it up to experience. I'm filing with Paypal buyer protection. I can even file in small claims court in my state. Again, maybe he'll change his mind and give me a credit. Maybe not, but it's going to suck for him either way.

As the senior attorney on the thread (at least as far as forum membership) I will add the following

1. The board encourages the reporting of all counterfeit items to eBay. Once upon a smaller simpler board, we had a regular group of guys who registered new eBay profiles and actually purposely outbid items to save unknowing buyers then report Them to eBay.

2. I'm not suggesting that you would, but this seems a good opportunity to note for anyone reading. Under no circumstances are you to use paypal to settle a claim with a dealer or member. We. Want no Unnecessary attention and will be severely frowned upon. Always bring internal matters here, if you are unable to resolve independently.

3. While reasonable reliance may apply, there are several "tells" on this post which are worth pointing out for any new members who happen to wander through.

A. Small photos. - if your selling items of significant value on eBay then you better figure out how to take large photos. My phone takes better photos than this.

B. He doesn't say genuine rolex. Especially with rolex, but almost always with brand items you will see genuine Or OEM. Especially with rolex because, even when your wearing a real rolex your just as likely to be asked "if it's real" its the most pirated brand ever.

C. Lawyer trick -cleverly parsed truth designed to convey a message that is not actually stated. " The clasp is stamped Registered Swiss Made, the Rolex Coronet, Steelinox, 93150, and date code S"

He doesn't say swiss made. He says the clasp is stamped. Stupid move on his part. Does he really think he will win a paypal dispute because he correctly labeled counterfeit goods. He may as well label it gen.

if you were looking for a bracelet, I would recommend asking here. Many members have gen stuff, and many of us are or know jewelers that could supply one at a good price. If your ever unsure or your spidy sense is tingling check here first.

Mike was making the suggestion as part of the learning process as all of us have had or been had on some transaction. Nature of the buis. And in most circumstances that would be the case. It's so infrequently that someone we help is in your situation and has paypal as an option, that our thoughts immediately went to past experience.

The good news for you and the bad news for many of us with paypal is. Paypal bends over backwards to undue transactions in favor of the buyer. Even if they can't recover the cash. Someone recently scammed me after purchasing my iPhone. Paypal could give a sh!t what I had to say, and refunded his $$ and I am refusing to pay paypal. So getting your $$ back should be as easy as giving paypal a tracking numbe for your return package.

I wish you the best of luck with your collecting travels. And - are you hiring? I need a job :)

It's hard to tell from your dark pics and the seller's small pics, but if all the text on the bracelet is stamped and none appear to be etched, then it's a replica. Now, if they are indeed a combination of stamped (STEELINOX, REGISTERED SWISS MADE) and etched (93150, T6 (June 1995 date code), S (service indicator)) then the only problem maybe that the bracelet is a franken; the bracelet should match the clasp code.

Edited by superlative

As the senior attorney on the thread (at least as far as forum membership) I will add the following

1. The board encourages the reporting of all counterfeit items to eBay. Once upon a smaller simpler board, we had a regular group of guys who registered new eBay profiles and actually purposely outbid items to save unknowing buyers then report Them to eBay.

2. I'm not suggesting that you would, but this seems a good opportunity to note for anyone reading. Under no circumstances are you to use paypal to settle a claim with a dealer or member. We. Want no Unnecessary attention and will be severely frowned upon. Always bring internal matters here, if you are unable to resolve independently.

3. While reasonable reliance may apply, there are several "tells" on this post which are worth pointing out for any new members who happen to wander through.

A. Small photos. - if your selling items of significant value on eBay then you better figure out how to take large photos. My phone takes better photos than this.

B. He doesn't say genuine rolex. Especially with rolex, but almost always with brand items you will see genuine Or OEM. Especially with rolex because, even when your wearing a real rolex your just as likely to be asked "if it's real" its the most pirated brand ever.

C. Lawyer trick -cleverly parsed truth designed to convey a message that is not actually stated. " The clasp is stamped Registered Swiss Made, the Rolex Coronet, Steelinox, 93150, and date code S"

He doesn't say swiss made. He says the clasp is stamped. Stupid move on his part. Does he really think he will win a paypal dispute because he correctly labeled counterfeit goods. He may as well label it gen.

if you were looking for a bracelet, I would recommend asking here. Many members have gen stuff, and many of us are or know jewelers that could supply one at a good price. If your ever unsure or your spidy sense is tingling check here first.

Mike was making the suggestion as part of the learning process as all of us have had or been had on some transaction. Nature of the buis. And in most circumstances that would be the case. It's so infrequently that someone we help is in your situation and has paypal as an option, that our thoughts immediately went to past experience.

The good news for you and the bad news for many of us with paypal is. Paypal bends over backwards to undue transactions in favor of the buyer. Even if they can't recover the cash. Someone recently scammed me after purchasing my iPhone. Paypal could give a sh!t what I had to say, and refunded his $$ and I am refusing to pay paypal. So getting your $$ back should be as easy as giving paypal a tracking numbe for your return package.

I wish you the best of luck with your collecting travels. And - are you hiring? I need a job :)

You got "that" right. I sold a genuine watch on eBay a few years back. The buyer screamed it wasn't genuine. I'm the one that escalated it to a claim. The buyer provided a tracking number for the return of the watch (while in the meantime I was gathering up service papers and watch appraisal papers from the local Breitling AD that had recently done the mvt. service on it) and as soon as that return tracking info hit paypal, they immediately (against my advice) refunded the buyer his payment. I was lucky enough to cancel the withdrawl request at the bank before some fake-azz POS watch was returned to me. Paypal attempted once again to withdraw the refund from my bank acct. and I had to cancel all cards and that banking acct associated with the paypal acct. to prevent a substantial loss. They refunded the buyer...regardless of the proof I furnished but they didn't get the refund from me. That's the primary reason I no longer have an active paypal acct. Protecting the buyer can, of course, be a good thing...but not always. The buyer knew what he was doing. And it's a typical scam. But up a few reps, shell out the premium price for the gens you want and then scream fake, get your money back from pp (and a free high dollar watch) for nothing more than the time involved and the cost of some POS Canal Street bargain junk.

Edited by correctime

All very good points, Phoband. Just to be clear, I would never report someone who was selling a rep piece to Paypal, as long as he was clear that he was selling a rep piece. I'm only a 3L, so definitely not hiring, haha.

Ahh well, get ready for the hard part. :) if you thought figuring out how to take a damn test your 1st year now you have too Figure out how to jam 3 yrs of intense study into 1 brain in 6 weeks with no outline and it's "win or go home" :)

The good news is it has a high pass rate. And I had a friend that failed the first time (he was in the bottom of our class too so, not a huge surprise) but everyone is doing great after 12 yrs, so It works out. Unless you go my route :) then it's disaster, but everyone else I know is doing very well no matter what school they went to.

You got "that" right. I sold a genuine watch on eBay a few years back. The buyer screamed it wasn't genuine. I'm the one that escalated it to a claim. The buyer provided a tracking number for the return of the watch (while in the meantime I was gathering up service papers and watch appraisal papers from the local Breitling AD that had recently done the mvt. service on it) and as soon as that return tracking info hit paypal, they immediately (against my advice) refunded the buyer his payment. I was lucky enough to cancel the withdrawl request at the bank before some fake-azz POS watch was returned to me. Paypal attempted once again to withdraw the refund from my bank acct. and I had to cancel all cards and that banking acct associated with the paypal acct. to prevent a substantial loss. They refunded the buyer...regardless of the proof I furnished but they didn't get the refund from me. That's the primary reason I no longer have an active paypal acct. Protecting the buyer can, of course, be a good thing...but not always. The buyer knew what he was doing. And it's a typical scam. But up a few reps, shell out the premium price for the gens you want and then scream fake, get your money back from pp (and a free high dollar watch) for nothing more than the time involved and the cost of some POS Canal Street bargain junk.

We need to consolidate a "paypal nightmare" thread. This is. Good information for dealing on the Internet. Makes you take greater precautions all around. I had 300 transactions on eBay and probably 4-500 on paypal and 1 stupid assh0le screws it up. Like the forum, I have had probably 150-200 transactions, buying selling trading new used and I have only had 2 incidents (with the same person) luckily i was only out 1 watch that "never arrived" that I had to refund.

For some unknown reason, my paypal acct was reset to 0. So I'm using it again, but. I don't know how that happened. There are some people that are really smart. They buy gift cards, transfer the $$ to paypal and pay with those. So paypal cant get at their $$.